Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 19:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)

Communicating with non English speakers

thegreeneso
thegreeneso
✭✭✭
I doubt it's a big deal on NA servers, but on EU there is a lot of people that don't speak English and there's not much you can do to communicate with them unless you happen to know their language. While it's not really possible to completely solve the problem, it could be really helpful to have some tools to deal with this.

For starters, giving us an ability to showcase our spoken languages and letting us see the language of other players' client would already help a lot. Another helpful feature would be premade chat messages that are automatically translated to client's language (for example basic phrases like "Follow me" or "Help me"). These are small things, but would really help with basic communication.
  • thegreeneso
    thegreeneso
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    For starters, giving us an ability to showcase our spoken languages and letting us see the language of other players' client would already help a lot.

    If it's optional, for people who think it would help them, I'd be fine with that. Other than that, I'd vote against it. If I play my main, I'm Sarayn Andrethi of Great House Telvanni from Sadrith Mora, and it doesn't matter and it doesn't concern anyone else either, whether it's François from Paris, Pavel from Prague or James from London behind the screen. And I don't want or need to know that about other players either. Let alone I don't really understand how this would help, as knowing what languages someone speaks doesn't change a thing about whether you understand those languages or not.

    It won't let you understand any language, but it will instantly tell you if someone can't understand you. Right now, there no way to tell the difference between someone ignoring what you're saying and not understanding your language.

  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

    If it's optional, for people who think it would help them, I'd be fine with that. Other than that, I'd vote against it. If I play my main, I'm Sarayn Andrethi of Great House Telvanni from Sadrith Mora, and it doesn't matter and it doesn't concern anyone else either, whether it's François from Paris, Pavel from Prague or James from London behind the screen. And I don't want or need to know that about other players either. Let alone I don't really understand how this would help, as knowing what languages someone speaks doesn't change a thing about whether you understand those languages or not.

    A lot of people in Europe speak three or four languages well. Knowing what language someone speaks tells you how to communicate with them.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a great idea. We use quick chat emotes in Cyrodiil for communicating. Could they be used in a way that comes across in the appropriate language for the receiver? Do they already work this way and I am not aware of it?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

    PS5 NA

  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »
    [snip]

    Who says they're playing from Russia?

    [edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 26, 2024 11:45AM
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »
    [snip]

    I see Cyrillic being used a lot in chat, but I can't tell whether that's Russian or Serbian, North Macedonian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian etc.

    [edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 26, 2024 11:46AM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »
    [snip]

    Russia, part of Ukraine and Belarus aren't able to purchase anything new themselves, but obviously can play what they have or what's gifted to them by first world country's citizens.

    [edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 26, 2024 11:46AM
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »
    [snip]

    Russia, part of Ukraine and Belarus aren't able to purchase anything new themselves, but obviously can play what they have or what's gifted to them by first world country's citizens.

    [edited to remove quote]

    Why their countries are second, third or fourth world?
    Muizer wrote: »
    tuxon wrote: »
    [snip]

    I see Cyrillic being used a lot in chat, but I can't tell whether that's Russian or Serbian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian etc.

    [edited to remove quote]

    Yeah that is an issue tbh.
    Communicating with non English speakers

    If you accept that Google Translate is your friend, is not difficult to communicate on the EU server as long as someone writes something and doesn't remain in silence and you do the extra work.

    Just copy paste their comment to google translate, it will find the language that is written translate it to your preferred language, you write the response in your language, and paste it in the chat box.

    FYI. Even if English is my third language, I prefer to translate and write in English in those situations, because the translators do better job From-To English than any other languages eg Greek to German/Russia/Chinese.
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got insulted by a russian after a dungeon , so i told him to speak english and i got banned for 3 days as result :)
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great idea. We use quick chat emotes in Cyrodiil for communicating. Could they be used in a way that comes across in the appropriate language for the receiver? Do they already work this way and I am not aware of it?

    Yes quick emotes work this way and it's super helpful.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why their countries are second, third or fourth world?

    There are actually clear definitions by things like degree of industrialization or income per capita:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-world_model
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country
    I'm not sure, of course, why this would matter in ESO. I don't care if another player is from the Netherlands, Australia, Peru or Poland.
    I got insulted by a russian after a dungeon , so i told him to speak english and i got banned for 3 days as result :)

    Are you sure it wasn't a decision from context or wording? It's a bit hard to believe that a simple "Sorry, I don't understand Russian, could you write that again in English, please?" would get someone a ban.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got insulted by a russian after a dungeon , so i told him to speak english and i got banned for 3 days as result :)

    Reminds me of the time a French (?) guy tried to whisper me in French since my Bretons always have French names and I jokingly replied
    "non parlez grenouille"
    . He immediately switched to English to insult me :)

    I just blocked him.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Syldras
      Syldras
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Reminds me of the time a French (?) guy tried to whisper me in French since my Bretons always have French names and I jokingly replied
      "non parlez grenouille"
      . He immediately switched to English to insult me :)
      I just blocked him.

      Maybe you should be happy he didn't get you banned as it is an ethnic slur you used.
      @Syldras | PC | EU
      The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
      Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
      Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
      Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    • Sakiri
      Sakiri
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think what op is asking for is what ffxiv does.

      Your name in guild and friends list is shown with EFDJ depending on the language you select, and your client language is underlined.

      They also have an extensive list of phrases, ability names, commands, etc in their auto translate menus. These come up in brackets and show in your client's default language.
    • Sakiri
      Sakiri
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Syldras wrote: »
      Northwold wrote: »
      A lot of people in Europe speak three or four languages well. Knowing what language someone speaks tells you how to communicate with them.

      I live in Europe and 3 or 4 sounds like a lot for the average person, I would say. At least in my country it's one foreign language on a lower school level and two on a higher (with a third and forth optionally, but most people don't choose that path).

      School education is a good point, though. If a foreign language is learnt, it's mostly English, no? I always perceived that as the common language to use abroad anyway.

      My husband speaks English, Swedish and German. Three is common here.
    • Uvi_AUT
      Uvi_AUT
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Syldras wrote: »
      Northwold wrote: »
      A lot of people in Europe speak three or four languages well. Knowing what language someone speaks tells you how to communicate with them.

      I live in Europe and 3 or 4 sounds like a lot for the average person, I would say. At least in my country it's one foreign language on a lower school level and two on a higher (with a third and forth optionally, but most people don't choose that path).

      School education is a good point, though. If a foreign language is learnt, it's mostly English, no? I always perceived that as the common language to use abroad anyway.

      As an Austrian I can say almost everyone speaks at least three languages. Thats because we dont really count english as a second language, since everyone speaks it. So your first foreign language is really the one after english.
      Often its hungarian, Ukrainian, Italian or French, depending on where you live. Austria is very small :)
      Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
    • Syldras
      Syldras
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Sakiri wrote: »
      My husband speaks English, Swedish and German. Three is common here.

      Well, I speak 9 (and another 5 very limitedly, but probably well enough for a few common questions - it's a hobby), but that doesn't make it the norm here. I live in Germany and many people here only speak German and learn English at school (or English plus another language - mostly French or Spanish - in case they visit a higher education level school). Although that, unfortunately, doesn't even necessarily mean that they actually speak these languages well. Young people mostly have a good English comprehension nowadays (probably also through using English on social media), but with older people, it's more complicated, whether they've once learned English in school or not. (And another exception are of course immigrants or children of immigrants, who also speak the language/s of their parents, in addition to German and the 1 or 2 languages learnt at school - but that's not the majority of the population).

      Scandinavia always seemed like a positive exception to me. I had several Danish and Norwegian friends who spoke English and German very well - one reason back then was that media translations were very rare, so if they watched movies, those were mostly either in English or German.

      The opposite was France (although I'm not sure how it's today, as things might have changed meanwhile) - I had French penpals when I was younger, and each of them said that foreign language lessons at school were rather limited and absolutely horrible (as in: not very useful when it comes to actually communication).
      @Syldras | PC | EU
      The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
      Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
      Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
      Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Sign In or Register to comment.