Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No NA megaserver maintenance – March 3
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: EU megaserver for maintenance – March 3, 9:00 UTC (4:00AM EST) - 12:00 UTC (7:00AM EST)
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 3, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 3, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/653550/

How much damage is required to get loot from the world bosses?

CrashTest
CrashTest
✭✭✭✭✭
What has ZOS officially said about this? There's a lot of conflicting and misinformation out there so I'm looking for clarification.

Is it top 12 damage dealers? Is it based on a percentage of damage done? Something else?
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's the top damage dealers (don't know how many). I wish they'd change it because during events, so many players are locked out of drops. It doesn't encourage people to participate. Why shouldn't everyone who does damage get a reward? And healers are left out.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a drop cap. It's not about amount of damage you personally do, it's about what damage other 12 (or however it is) players do compared to yours.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a drop cap. It's not about amount of damage you personally do, it's about what damage other 12 (or however it is) players do compared to yours.
    This, you have to be in the top 12 to get loot, healing also count but you are very unlikely to heal enough for it to count.
    Dragons has no limits Also this is loot not doing the boss for quest reward. was grouped with some doing the kill 20 world bossed weekly and he got an boss tick because in group with me who got one hit on boss who had an huge group on it.
    Also as most use companions overland it looks like more people is around.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Its_MySniff
    Its_MySniff
    ✭✭✭
    Just run a heavy attack build and you'll get the worthless loot everytime. I have a few heavies and have had no trouble yet. Problem solved.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Per the One Tamriel patch notes, you do need to do a minimum of 3% of the target’s max hp to get credit and loot. If that’s still accurate, it won’t be the case that, say, 6 players can do 99% of the damage and another 6 players can still get loot.

I’m not aware if the minimum was ever changed or removed.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Per the One Tamriel patch notes, you do need to do a minimum of 3% of the target’s max hp to get credit and loot. If that’s still accurate, it won’t be the case that, say, 6 players can do 99% of the damage and another 6 players can still get loot.

I’m not aware if the minimum was ever changed or removed.

I always post this when people claim I'm wrong. You're right, it hasn't been changed since then. Proof:
    9vmo3doik1vx.jpg
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    if a WB has 1.5 million hp, 3% of that is like 45k

that can be pretty tough for low dmg specs like tanks to get if there are a lot of people that vaporize the WB in <10 sec
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHY DIDN'T I RECEIVE LOOT FOR COMPLETING A WORLD BOSS?
    There is a cap to how many players may receive loot from a single boss kill. If this cap is met, only the players with the highest participation will receive loot.

If you are having trouble receiving credit for specific encounters, we recommend trying again at a time when it is less busy.

From the ESO help page

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/#en/answer/39750

Edit:

So, you need to 3% of damage to even first qualify for a drop. And even if you manage to do that much damage, only the top performers get loot. I think the cap is 12 but they don't outright state it.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 22, 2024 4:56PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

that can be pretty tough for low dmg specs like tanks to get if there are a lot of people that vaporize the WB in <10 sec

True. I would echo a suggestion I saw in zone chat yesterday that players take advantage of the free armory station to set up a build that does more damage and switch to that beforehand. A tank spec is not necessary during events where players demolish a boss in a matter of seconds.
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who gets synergy credit? Say player A casts Nova (or morph) and player B uses the synergy, who is credited the synergy damage in the computer's record?

Edit: perhaps not clear from the above, but I'd like to know if we're helping ourselves by triggering a synergy, or actually increasing the chance of locking ourselves out of the loot?
    Edited by Kite42 on January 23, 2024 1:37PM
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I think it's the top damage dealers (don't know how many). I wish they'd change it because during events, so many players are locked out of drops. It doesn't encourage people to participate. Why shouldn't everyone who does damage get a reward? And healers are left out.

I disagree. World bosses are clearly made for groups of up to 12 players, otherwise there wouldn't be a hardcap to their respective loot. Zerging them down within 10 seconds has to come with a trade-off, as rewards are granted for doing the content, not trivializing it.

Players, which are farming Alik'r dolmen, experience this hardcap all over the year, yet I don't see any complaints regarding this.

Besides that, there are other options to recieve all event-related drops anyways.

On a sidenote: I never managed not to loot a WB during an event, although I participate primarily with a toon still wearing seducers+bsw+grothdarr and usually manage to hit the boss 2 to 3 times before they go down.
    Edited by Braffin on January 23, 2024 12:59PM
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

True. I would echo a suggestion I saw in zone chat yesterday that players take advantage of the free armory station to set up a build that does more damage and switch to that beforehand. A tank spec is not necessary during events where players demolish a boss in a matter of seconds.

As a soloist, I have several armories set up for various activities. Open World, Stealth, World Boss/Group Dungeon, Farming/Antiquities. Also using AlphaGear addon helps in switching the gear around after loading the specific armory- since I have sub-builds within each armory build. :)
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »

I disagree. World bosses are clearly made for groups of up to 12 players, otherwise there wouldn't be a hardcap to their respective loot. Zerging them down within 10 seconds has to come with a trade-off, as rewards are granted for doing the content, not trivializing it.

Players, which are farming Alik'r dolmen, experience this hardcap all over the year, yet I don't see any complaints regarding this.

Besides that, there are other options to recieve all event-related drops anyways.

On a sidenote: I never managed not to loot a WB during an event, although I participate primarily with a toon still wearing seducers+bsw+grothdarr and usually manage to hit the boss 2 to 3 times before they go down.

If there has to be a trade-off for zerging them down during events surely that should apply to all the players involved, not just a portion of them.

If 13 people fight a world boss together why should 12 of them get the same rewards they'd get for doing it solo and 1 get nothing?
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

If there has to be a trade-off for zerging them down during events surely that should apply to all the players involved, not just a portion of them.

If 13 people fight a world boss together why should 12 of them get the same rewards they'd get for doing it solo and 1 get nothing?

You are right. Reducing the value of the rewards for all players if they exceed the reasonable limit of 12 players would be the better approach. I don't see this happening tho and removing the limit would only worsen the already getting out of hand farming mentality.

It's a mechanic to somewhat prevent spot farming and shouldn't be removed without adding a better alternative (a cooldown for example after a boss has been looted).

Btw: If 13 people are fighting a world boss together they are free to share the respective loot with each other. The content isn't designed for more than 12 players tho.
    Edited by Braffin on January 23, 2024 2:06PM
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They put a cap as an afk measure, I suspect. I don't think it has anything to do with it being designed for only 12 Players as they'd be aware that overland players don't have a way to control group size. There's already a cool down on loot.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

dolmens work a bit differently

while the "boss" (boss in quotes because it is barely a boss as it usually only has like 300k hp) that spawns at the end has capped loot, the actual dolmen chest does not, as long as you did even 1 dmg you will get the dolmen chest for the jewelry + xp for completing the dolmen

other world events work the same way (geysers, harrows, dragons), where it doesnt matter what amount of dmg you did as long as you participated
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    They put a cap as an afk measure, I suspect. I don't think it has anything to do with it being designed for only 12 Players as they'd be aware that overland players don't have a way to control group size. There's already a cool down on loot.

I partly agree, it's also definitely capped to prevent afk-farming. I think tho, that limiting the loot to up to 12 players even if groups of up to 24 players are/were possible (don't sure if that's still the case), is a clear indication, that devs purposefully set the cap as is.

Of course players can't control group size, but the devs can and did so by setting a hardcap for loot.

That's why I suppose, that both is true: The cap is meant to prevent afking as well as zerging to keep content playable in an enjoyable (and originally intended) manner.
    ---
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

while the "boss" (boss in quotes because it is barely a boss as it usually only has like 300k hp) that spawns at the end has capped loot, the actual dolmen chest does not, as long as you did even 1 dmg you will get the dolmen chest for the jewelry + xp for completing the dolmen

other world events work the same way (geysers, harrows, dragons), where it doesnt matter what amount of dmg you did as long as you participated

I know that.

The boss itself works exactly like all other non-instanced bosses tho.
    ---
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I know that.

The boss itself works exactly like all other non-instanced bosses tho.

it was to answer your question about why nobody complains about dolmen loot in places like alikr lol

because nobody is farming the dolmen boss, they want the dolmen chest + xp, which is not capped
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    World bosses in these zones in many cases were there long before these events were started. So I don’t think arguments about the merits of capping the numbers of players who get loot are applicable in the case of events. Normally only one or two players might be there at any given time.

Small dlc zones like Hew’s Bane and Gold Coast are even worse because there are only 2 bosses per zone, so a greater fraction of the number of players will be funneled there at any time. Chapters have more world bosses so a smaller fraction of players will be at any particular one.

I had the unfortunate experience of not getting a drop on my arcanist (she has BiS non-perfected gear) Sunday at the Minotaur boss in Gold Coast. The room was packed with players. Everyone is spamming aoes before he respawns and everything is a bright flash of blindness and the boss only is up for 1-3 seconds. Easy to not have your skills fire at the right time.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, especially in the Gold Coast trying to get drops from the bosses is a dead loss. Even late at night, I don't get anything from them. For the arena bosses most of the time I can't even see him. The arcanists' flails and beams are in the way.

The minotaur is easy to see, but still, so many players crowd around it is hard to target. I have stopped even trying.

Wrothgar is much better from a crowd perspective but I do like the dark brotherhood gear better...

PS5/NA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

I partly agree, it's also definitely capped to prevent afk-farming. I think tho, that limiting the loot to up to 12 players even if groups of up to 24 players are/were possible (don't sure if that's still the case), is a clear indication, that devs purposefully set the cap as is.

Of course players can't control group size, but the devs can and did so by setting a hardcap for loot.

That's why I suppose, that both is true: The cap is meant to prevent afking as well as zerging to keep content playable in an enjoyable (and originally intended) manner.

They encouraged zerging in the past with the 24 group limits (no longer) and all the events and prizes specifically to direct traffic to the world bosses. So, I don't think it was meant to preserve difficulty. But we'll never know for sure.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a heavy attack twice or thrice on world boss and gets loot all the time.