The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How do you tell who's in what guild?

Korereactor
Korereactor
✭✭✭
Normally, before joining a guild, I like to see how the members of a guild are behaving, participating, etc. For instance, if I see a few players of the same guild helping others, being respectful, etc., it will sometimes encourage me to join their guild. In ESO, I have no idea who's a member of what. I hope this gets resolved with tabbards or something someday. Is there any way to tell at a glance in game currently?
  • Tamisan
    Tamisan
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best way to find out is to ask. Join some pick-up-groups and when you see great cooperation/interaction, ask them, "Hey you guys are great; what guild are you in?" Remember you can have FIVE guilds. So you might try one for a month or so and see how it works for you. If it doesn't, simply leave. There are a lot in the Guild Recruiting section. Check out their sites and see what you like.
    I know now what I was born to do.
    ―Martin Septim
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can by default. Maybe there's an addon that shows you that.
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I don't think you can by default. Maybe there's an addon that shows you that.

Yeah, I wish someone would add this to the unit frames, like FTC or WarLegend HUD. Maybe the API doesn't allow for it?

Edited by Korereactor on April 2, 2014 3:18PM
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC in the AMA, they mentioned that guild cloaks were a planned addition at some point after launch. That will help with identifying guild members, if they wear them that is.

As for now, you really can't.
  • KidKablam
    KidKablam
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I do think the op has a point. For one thing it's difficult to even identify your own guild members in the field. That's going to cause some serious organizational issues for some people on the pvp battlefield and so.

It's one of the few design flaws of this game that I think it'll take longer to make friends in your guild, because you'll only see their account name in chat and you can't run into them at the bank or about in game and notice them.

It would be nice if you could pick a primary guild and have that guild name appear with your name when people look directly at you closeup. That wouldn't fix the problem completely, but it would help a bit.
  • chaosngn_ESO
    chaosngn_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I will give you my viewpoint as a guild leader of 10 years, but also as a dev (not at Zenimax).

First, I think the reasoning behind the fact that you can't see what guild a player belongs to is either because this feature has yet to be implemented, or for design principles won't be. I hope the former. My guess is that it is because you can be in up to five guilds, and the devs put it on the back burner to implement a feature which allows the player to choose which they are currently representing.

Secondly, from a development perspective, the guild system is almost always last to get an overhaul. There are always at least 15 things from initial release that I can usually see which need to be improved upon or added.

Two of these at the moment are:
    • It would be nice to see when someone levels at various intervals and/or gets an achievement within guild.
    • More importantly, the guild is sorted by @names. While I can understand the reasoning behind this, guild leaders should be given the option to have the entire guild sort by Character name.

I will address the latter, because it pertains to what you have stated,

If someone is acting up in /zone or other places, I have no idea if that person may or may not be in my guild. All I see is a character name, but when I go to my guild, all I see are @names. And, as a guild leader, I am not going to go down my entire roster and hover over names every time I see someone acting up in trade (which is every 3 minutes). This needs be rectified. It is causing huge confusion in guild as to who is what character, etc. To be honest, though it covers all characters and I imagine helps the devs with allowing characters to be in multiple guilds, etc. this really serves no purpose, since multiple people can't have the same character name. Typically this type of system is used for that.

A very easy fix for this (devs, are you listening?) would be to have another column which simply shows the current character name of the person. This would be a very invaluable feature for the guild leaders.

When I was working at Trion, I and many others made suggestions to fix the guild system, and they listened. Nearly all were implemented. I hope Zenimax is just as open to the suggestions of guild leaders, as we are at the front lines, and something like this can only make life easier for the devs and CS folks to some degree.

Yes, there are other things it's used for within ESO and I can see the logic, but we need to be given the option.

Playing devil's advocate, if someone is acting up in trade and being a general ***, not only can I not tell if they are in my guild, no one else can either. But that doesn't help the fact that I don't want them in the guild if they are causing trouble.

Oh, and hi Jess, miss you. You were great!

m4eLYel.png

Edited by chaosngn_ESO on April 2, 2014 4:59PM
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    I will give you my viewpoint as a guild leader of 10 years, but also as a dev (not at Zenimax).

First, from a development perspective, the guild system is almost always last to get an overhaul. There are always at least 15 things from initial release that I can usually see which need to be improved or added.

• It would be nice to see when someone levels at various intervals and/or gets an achievement within guild.
    • More importantly, the guild is sorted by @names. While I can understand the reasoning behind this, guild leaders should be given the option to have the entire guild sort by Character name.

I will address the latter, because it pertains to what you have stated. If someone is acting up in /zone or other places, I have no idea if that person may or may not be in my guild. All I see is a character name, but when I go to my guild, all I see are @names. And, as a guild leader, I am not going to go down my entire roster and hover over names every time I see someone acting up in trade (which is every 3 minutes). This needs be rectified. It is causing huge confusion in guild as to who is what character, etc. To be honest, though it covers all characters and I imagine helps the devs with allowing characters to be in multiple guilds, etc. this really serves no purpose, since multiple people can't have the same character name. Typically this type of system is used for that.

A very easy fix for this (devs, are you listening?) would be to have another column which simply shows the current character name of the person. This would be a very invaluable feature for the guild leaders.

Yes, there are other things it's used for within ESO and I can see the logic, but we need to be given the option.

Playing devil's advocate, if someone is acting up in trade and being a general ***, not only can I not tell if they are in my guild, no one else can either. But that doesn't help the fact that I don't want them in the guild if they are causing trouble.

I just can't believe they wouldn't even allow this in the API - it's kind of a major MMO feature - having pride in your guild and displaying it. It's just surprising it wasn't included at all. I mean, why have a guild then?
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed , i agree with you OP.

In GW2 people could have many guilds , but we could see the ones they were representing under their names.

Also , ADD an option to players names over their heads already.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    IIRC in the AMA, they mentioned that guild cloaks were a planned addition at some point after launch. That will help with identifying guild members, if they wear them that is.

As for now, you really can't.

What was said is that there may be some form of visual guild identification (tabards or emblems); however, it was made pretty clear that cloaks were no where in their plans.
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll get off my soapbox a bit, they have bigger issues right now obviously. I do think adding tabards later will help a little, but you'll still need to look up the name unless they add it as well. I posted this for awareness mostly, as I really think this is a must-have, especially in ESO. And I do think it can be done without breaking immersion.
    Edited by Korereactor on April 2, 2014 5:00PM
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this is cool:
    Guild Or Friend
    Not exactly what I was talking about, but better than nothing!! ;)
    Edited by Korereactor on April 2, 2014 5:12PM
  • Ellienna
    Ellienna

First, I think the reasoning behind the fact that you can't see what guild a player belongs to is either because this feature has yet to be implemented, or for design principles won't be. I hope the former. My guess is that it is because you can be in up to five guilds, and the devs put it on the back burner to implement a feature which allows the player to choose which they are currently representing.

Secondly, from a development perspective, the guild system is almost always last to get an overhaul. There are always at least 15 things from initial release that I can usually see which need to be improved upon or added.

I will address the latter, because it pertains to what you have stated,

If someone is acting up in /zone or other places, I have no idea if that person may or may not be in my guild. All I see is a character name, but when I go to my guild, all I see are @names. And, as a guild leader, I am not going to go down my entire roster and hover over names every time I see someone acting up in trade (which is every 3 minutes). This needs be rectified. It is causing huge confusion in guild as to who is what character, etc. To be honest, though it covers all characters and I imagine helps the devs with allowing characters to be in multiple guilds, etc. this really serves no purpose, since multiple people can't have the same character name. Typically this type of system is used for that.

When I was working at Trion, I and many others made suggestions to fix the guild system, and they listened. Nearly all were implemented. I hope Zenimax is just as open to the suggestions of guild leaders, as we are at the front lines, and something like this can only make life easier for the devs and CS folks to some degree.

Oh, and hi Jess, miss you. You were great!

m4eLYel.png

I have lead a guild for nine years and agree with all of the above

• martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a guild leader too, over from lotro.

Yes we need guild names visible, and character names too please.

Also having character names in guild list and chat would be preferable to account names. I'm having to hover all the time just to see who people are.

Also in a busy places like Daggerfall we have know way of recognising eachother and stopping for impromtu chats and sing-songs. Hovering over characters to see names is just crazy.

Its handy in pvp also as you can just invite guild mates to your group when you see them running around.

If this game is going to grow it needs to allow for more social interaction.

thanks.

At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm quite sure guild tags and player will be incoming soon. This has been fed back various times and it's all about priority at this point. The current situation is manageable, especially if you use 3rd party addons like http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/03/ftc-launch-version/ that can help you distinguish players from NPCs etc.
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    There is a roster under the menu that will show the ID, faction, where they are, character name, level and whether they are online or not. While the idea belonging to multiple guilds is normal for ES it is still a slightly new concept even with one game already having it previously.