Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

I loathe the way Ember says...

Aurielle
Aurielle
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
... "doing something with magicky?" when you harvest enchanting nodes.

It makes zero grammatical sense, and it irritates me to the point where I almost consider unslotting her if I know I'll be harvesting enchanting nodes. She should instead ask "doing something magicky?" or "doing something with magicka?" The former would be the easiest fix.

That is all.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably supposed to sound "cute" or something. Just as that "Fish biscuits!" screaming... which I don't find any better. It's like having a Redguard yell "Cheese Fries!" all the time.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

It makes zero grammatical sense, and it irritates me to the point where I almost consider unslotting her if I know I'll be harvesting enchanting nodes. She should instead ask "doing something magicky?" or "doing something with magicka?" The former would be the easiest fix.

That is all.

that one doesnt bother me ---- the weak " is it over yet?" gets on my nerves
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    metheglyn wrote: »
    I've never heard Ember say "is it over yet?" I've heard her say "is it over?" in a sort of flattened tone, as if she's bummed out that all the excitement and fun are done.

thats the one --- guess i just hear it differently
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is all.
    Another option would be "doing something with magicky" + a noun, eg. "thingies" or whatever.

In general, I'd say ESO is a well-made game as far as grammar is concerned.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow
    >>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)
    >>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)
    >>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    >>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Don't get me started on things that make me want to stab my companions in the eye over
    Like Isobel Velois creeping over Lyris Titanborn
    Ewww...stop that....

Admiration is "eww"? She's not sexualizing her in any way. She's calling her "powerful", "intimidating" and "impressive" and that's it, nothing more. I don't like Lyris much, but I don't know why another npc liking her should bother me.

I see lots of people have agreed with you, but there was never a question to me that she is reacting to her presence in a desirous way (and that's a "sexualization," by definition*). The way the line is voice-acted, she is going "weak in the knees" around her. Whether you think it's "creepy" or not is subjective, but I'm literally surprised that anyone would disagree that this was the point.

* Clarifying my point.
    Edited by dk_dunkirk on January 13, 2024 7:08PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Who is ember?
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dk_dunkirk wrote: »
    Don't get me started on things that make me want to stab my companions in the eye over
    Like Isobel Velois creeping over Lyris Titanborn
    Ewww...stop that....

Admiration is "eww"? She's not sexualizing her in any way. She's calling her "powerful", "intimidating" and "impressive" and that's it, nothing more. I don't like Lyris much, but I don't know why another npc liking her should bother me.

I see lots of people have agreed with you, but there was never a question to me that she is reacting to her presence in a desirous way (and that's a "sexualization," by definition*). The way the line is voice-acted, she is going "weak in the knees" around her. Whether you think it's "creepy" or not is subjective, but I'm literally surprised that anyone would disagree that this was the point.

* Clarifying my point.

She is swooning but that doesn't mean she's sexualizing her. Sexualizing someone is generally used when emphasis is placed primarily on the sexual aspects of a person. This is why the example sentences in the dictionary are generally negative. And why Wikipedia chooses to highlight how the term is generally used.

Isobel is pointedly trying not to sexualize her (at least verbally), but in doing so it actually makes her attraction to Lyris very clear. And that's the humor of the situation. We know what she's thinking but she's got plausible deniability in the words she actually chooses.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 13, 2024 7:31PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic Cat ready for business!

I want more! Who else can we smack around?

Ooh, Shiny
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.. after a while of constantly hearing the same thing... Good thing the options can let me decrease how much companions talk.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not grammatically wrong, she's just saying it in a sort of cutesy/kiddy way. Like someone saying "eggies" instead of eggs. (Then again, people around me say stuff like that all the time lol, so I'm biased.)

I do agree the line doesn't land well for me, either. I think of her as a carefree spirit and someone who might be cutesy, but this comes off as a bit too kiddish. Then again, it does kinda fit. I can definitely see her saying "Ooh, nice glyphy" at the enchanting station lol.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Ember, I'm doing something with provisiony!
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Diebesgut
    Diebesgut
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... i reduced the frequency in the settings, so most of the time she did'nt talk a single word 🤔

She is a good healer to my Khajiit, she's not quarreling all the time about Insects, stealing, cheese or whatever... sadly she doesn't like fishing... but we really like her 🤗

Edited by Diebesgut on January 14, 2024 10:48AM
    Khajiit Sicherheitsdienst ~ Überprüfung von Schlössern aller Art ~ Khajiit Security ~ Inspection of any kind of locks
    Khajiit Gebrauchtwaren ~ Handel mit Waren aller Art ~ Khajiit Store ~ Trading of any kind of goods
    Playstation
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    She should instead ask "doing something magicky?" or "doing something with magicka?" The former would be the easiest fix.

Concur with this, my thought had been that whoever was proofreading the dialogue missed this one and the voice actor just went with it.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

Whitestrake’s Mayhem PSA: While battling through the Imperial City, don’t forget you can return to base quickly by queuing for a Cyrodiil campaign, then queuing back to IC!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concur with this, my thought had been that whoever was proofreading the dialogue missed this one and the voice actor just went with it.

So I just made I short test with a different localization, logged in, pulled Ember out and visited a place with a ricidulous amount of glyphs. In German she says "Are you doing something magical?" So I guess, if the German translation is close to the original (maybe someone can check with another language?), "magicky" is supposed to be read as "magic-y". Like adding "-y" to a random noun to make it an adjective.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's just supposed to be childish to reinforce her age. She's supposed to come off much younger than the rest of the case. Barely qualifies as an adult and definitely still talks like a teen. I'd guess she's supposed to be like 18 or so.

I think it's supposed to come off the same as "chicken nuggies" or "doggy," rather than chicken nuggets or dog. Magicky makes Ember come off childish, but also probably is meant to show she likes magic. She has given it a cutesy little nickname after all.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 14, 2024 4:10PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's cultural differences, but she doesn't even behave like a teen, in my opinion. Isobel is a bit silly sometimes, that's what I would call "teen behaviour". And that's okay, considering her age.

"Cutesy" vocabulary, on the other hand, reminds me more of a 5-year-old. A preschooler or elementary schooler at most. A small kid. If a (young) adult behaves like that, it's extremely off-putting to me. I'd call it a severe case of brainrot.

It does vary from culture to culture. Plenty of teen girls worldwide will talk cutesy about certain things or make cutesy voices. If you equate intelligence to the use of slang by teenagers, then I will say that is no correlation between the two. Plenty of college capable teens use slang.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I think it's just supposed to be childish to reinforce her age. She's supposed to come off much younger than the rest of the case. Barely qualifies as an adult and definitely still talks like a teen. I'd guess she's supposed to be like 18 or so.

I think it's supposed to come off the same as "chicken nuggies" or "doggy," rather than chicken nuggets or dog.

Be that as it may, it’s grammatically incorrect. It’s possible to be linguistically “childish” and still be grammatically correct. Most children who can string together complete sentences implicitly understand basic syntax. You wouldn’t, for instance, ask “doing something with doggy?” if you were trying to be cute. You’d ask “doing something with a doggy?” or “doing something with doggies?”

It really doesn’t make any sense to turn “magic” into a diminutive noun by adding -y at the end. There is no linguistic or etymological precedent for it. Again, it would be like trying to use “sciency” or “musicy” as diminutive nouns, rather than adjectives. Not one person in the history of the English language has declared “let’s learn about musicy!” and been grammatically correct.

So I just made I short test with a different localization, logged in, pulled Ember out and visited a place with a ricidulous amount of glyphs. In German she says "Are you doing something magical?" So I guess, if the German translation is close to the original (maybe someone can check with another language?), "magicky" is supposed to be read as "magic-y". Like adding "-y" to a random noun to make it an adjective.

Interesting! This reinforces my point that “doing something with magicky?” is an error. The German translation is grammatically correct. The word being modified in the sentence is “something,” so removing the preposition “with” in the original English script would make more sense, as “magicky” modifies “something.”