Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Redguards. Most unwanted race in Tamriel

Alamakot
Alamakot
✭✭✭
Have you seen ANY decent build for stamina based class, does not matter, PVE or PVP, where Redguards are mentioned? Even at 5th or 6th place, after Orc, Dark Elf, Khajit, Imperial and Nord?
Those above are most popular. Even Wood Elf wins with Redguard, I've found one pvp build where author stated "I picked this race because of stam regen, speed and penetration bonuses".

2000 max stamina. Snares reduced by 15%. Nice. What else?
Next passive increases the duration of any eaten food by 15 minutes. Great when you use expensive Ozorgas, in other cases doesn't matter....
Cost of weapon abilities reduced by 8%... Fantastic, but weapon only. This is IMHO the main reason that race is seen as weak. Ok, my bow skills are cheaper, my DW, dual, S&B, even my Combat Prayer from resto or Wall of Elements have cost reduced, but there are (correct me if I'm wrong) no builds, that use weapon skills only. Bretons have 7% magicka skills cost reduction. Imperials 6% of ALL skils.
Last passive: "When you deal damage, you restore 1005 Stamina. This effect can occur once every 5 seconds." Is it enough? I think not, otherwise someone would include Redguards in guides.

How to improve this race, to make it more popular?

My proposal is: make Redguards stamina version of Bretons. So:

Martial Training - Reduces stamina cost of your abilities by 7%. Reduces the effectiveness of snares applied to you by 15%.

Adrenaline Rush - When you deal damage, you restore 1005 Stamina and heal for 600 HP. This effect can occur once every 5 seconds.
or
Adrenaline Rush - When you deal damage, you restore 1005 Stamina. This effect can occur once every 4 seconds.

Any other ideas, how to make this race popular again?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People still care about Race when it comes to builds?

Even way back before the Racial reworks I rocked a Khajiit MagSorc that didn't even have a skill point in the passive that gave Weapon Critical, since it'd be useless.
    Edited by ArchMikem on January 3, 2024 5:02PM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. The stamina cost reduction should be for all skills, not just weapon abilities. Idk about the S&B XP bonus, probably a bonus to all martial weapons would be more fitting, but it seems the least important passive.

(Edit: Removed off-topic tangential.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 3, 2024 8:23PM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest issue is that they don't have damage passives whereas the other popular races do. Dunmer and orcs have weapon/spell dmg, khajiit have crit.

The other issue is that they don't have group utility based passives. Nords and imperials are used for tanking and their relevant passives are from the team utility through nords' ult cost reduction and imperials all skill cost reduction.

Another issue is that they're designed super stamina sustain based and sustain has become irrelevant in the game the past few years.

Get rid of the food passive (irrelevant, was only added because nords got the drink one and they probably felt like they had to give a food one to some other race) so that they can keep the snare passive.

Give them +258 weapon damage to replace the food passive. They should ''lore wise'' be more or less the martial version of altmer.

Give them the ''all stamina skills reduction passive'' too to replace their ''deal damage to restore stamina passive.''

their passives should look like:
    +2000 stamina
    +258 weapon/spell dmg
    reduce the cost of stamina abilities by 7%
    reduce the effectiveness of snares by 15%

edit: confused myself
    Edited by emilyhyoyeon on January 3, 2024 5:34PM
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Leighlaa
    Leighlaa
    ✭✭✭
    My first character I created, day 1 of the game opening, was a redguard dk who I planned on making a tank to play with my husband's elven mag dps. We did that for maybe... a year? Then I decided tanking wasn't for me but I LOVED my dk... so I made her mag vampire (which was BiS at the time) and a dunmer (for the fire protection, seriously hahah!)

Since that day (I played closed beta too, so it's been AWHILE)....... I've made exactly zero redguards across 2 accounts and 28 characters.

I don't know how I would improve them, but I like your suggestions, they don't feel to overpowered.

Redguards, as a race, are high-stamina SURVIVORS, capable of thriving in a desert, so their passives should reflect that. I like the food/drink/potion bonus thing, because that feels like them. Stamina is obviously important, but they aren't a non-spiritual race so I don't think it should be limited to weaponry only. The ancient Yokudans have shrines, temples, and traveled across the seas to GREAT SUCCESS on this continent... and if redguards are THEIR descendants, they should certainly have some of that mystique across ALL stam skills.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Redguard stam sorc I use quite often so I don't really see them as unwanted.
  • OsUfi
    OsUfi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magic using Bosmer cares not for racial passives, and still wrecks DLC world bosses.

Racial passives make no difference to anything except score pushing. If you care about score pushing you'll always gravitate towards the BiS race whatever the passives are.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard working depends on what content you play. I have five of them and enjoy all of them. I don't PVP or do group content. I play like it's a TES single-player game mostly. All Stamina builds. They would be a better race if ZOS had given them their proper lore passives. Sword and board on them is just stupid to me.
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what changes just make it so there's more redguards around.

Also, they have ONE special hairstyle and it's incredibly rare. 50% of the time I see it it's not even on redguards.
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make their passives the stamina equivalent to Breton, why they’re limited to just weapon skill cost reduction is beyond me.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 4 redguards out of 30 characters, but I'm not bothered by meta builds etc. One of the benefits of redguards is that the character creation options allow them to be the nearest thing to a dwarf you'll get in ESO. Once I realised that it enabled me to play one of my favourite regular RPG characters in ESO.
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Even way back before the Racial reworks I rocked a Khajiit MagSorc that didn't even have a skill point in the passive that gave Weapon Critical, since it'd be useless.

Remove all racial passives if you think that way.
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    runa_gate wrote: »

Also, they have ONE special hairstyle and it's incredibly rare. 50% of the time I see it it's not even on redguards.

Picture please.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runa_gate wrote: »

Picture please.

Would love to see what one you mean. I managed to grab all the Redguard motifs and they look amazing on them.
    Edited by Castagere on January 3, 2024 8:17PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called "Tight Curled Hair Helmet" I think (not in game right now). I use it on a couple of mine (I have 18 across 3 accounts both PC megaservers - total around 80 characters at the moment).

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah honestly put away passive race attribute, I wanna see active race skill line that fits the lore of the race with one dedicated slot for it

Way to bring up race to more than just min maxing and the very rare flavour dialogue tied to non repeatable content (95% of the time no NPC even care about your race nor mention it)

Currently they're just different stat blocks with different skins without gameplay feature to differientiate them from one another

Problem being depending what skill would be considered, it can push some deeper or higher to the point the worst and best race end up having a chasm between them

As an example : I'm playing as argonian, why cant I use my tail as single or short range cone CC by sweeping it at enemies legs like in the blackwood trailer ?
    Edited by Foxtrot39 on January 4, 2024 12:50AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Remove all racial passives if you think that way.

They just wanted to play the Khajiit. The passive at the time would have done nothing for their build so it would have been a waste to have put a point in it.

Nothing more than that.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...SNIP

their passives should look like:
    +2000 stamina
    +258 weapon/spell dmg
    reduce the cost of stamina abilities by 7%
    reduce the effectiveness of snares by 15%

edit: confused myself

If they made Redguards as above, I would make 2 of them tomorrow.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    It's called "Tight Curled Hair Helmet" I think (not in game right now). I use it on a couple of mine (I have 18 across 3 accounts both PC megaservers - total around 80 characters at the moment).

The 1970s afro. Reminds me of the old disco movies.

Anyone can use it if they get the crown hair pack thingy, and it looks awful. Poorly modeled.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree Redguard needs some attention. However any race will work in any class unless you are min/maxing. Just ask any orc sorc.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are the best flurry and dizzy swingers. 1500 health bonus would be nice though similar to nord
  • Lord_Graas
    Lord_Graas
    ✭✭✭
    Developers just don’t like redguard's curved swords.
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of Redguard Nightblades who do just fine in PvP.
    Just adjust the rest of your build and don't fixate on racial passives.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the races that faded into irrelevance because heavy handed nerf. There used to be time when Redguard was one of the best stam race, but that time isn't now.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    It's related, seriously:

Make all hairstyles available for all races/sexes. So tired of things being locked behind these walls. We can become almost like gods this universe, but gods forbid we put certain earrings or a bob-haircut on a male character...

Vice versa, you can have "orange curly hair" and be a Breton. Why limited to Redgaurds?