Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Old Life Observance - why isn't it updated each year?

cyclonus11
cyclonus11
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have yet to see any ghostly visitors from post-Northern Elsweyr despite completing all of the content. :(

From each day of the event:
Ritemaster Iachesis
Captain Nala-do (the only visitor post-Summerset)
King Lalorioran Dynar
King Lalorioran Dynar
High Priestess Solgra
Ritemaster Iachesis
Veya Releth
Veya Releth
Earl Leythen
King Lalorioran Dynar
King Kurog
Little Leaf
Edited by cyclonus11 on January 1, 2024 7:54PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Somewhat on-topic but I hate the addition of the nondistinct ghost so much I stopped doing the event entirely. I'd rather see the same npc repeatedly than a meaningless figure.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Somewhat on-topic but I hate the addition of the nondistinct ghost so much I stopped doing the event entirely. I'd rather see the same npc repeatedly than a meaningless figure.

I assume those are meant to represent characters that aren't in the system, but might have left an impression on you nevertheless. So you can use your imagination and fill in the blanks with whomever you want.
    PC EU
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »
    I know for a fact that there are certain people from
    Blackwood and Deadlands storyline

Because some of my guildmates got them. So it is definitely after Northern Elsweyr. The Old Life quest actually started in 2021 (I think), so it makes sense.

The only person I can think of who would be cool to show up that aren't currently showing up are (spoiler for High Isle/Galen):
    Lord Bacaro

Might also be funny if (Necrom story):
    Meln the Mouthless showed up since, you know, he's already a spirit when you meet him. I know I would laugh.

Yep, I have definitely been greeted by
    Destron

I think I might have also encountered
    Sombren
    but I'm not 100% sure... memory is a funny thing really, so fallible yet so assured of itself.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on January 2, 2024 11:52AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a good addition for characters who don't qualify for any of the specific ghosts, to indicate there can be more to it, but it should probably be replaced by the specific ghosts instead of continuing to appear.

Because I normally do events on a character who hasn't done many quests (one I mainly use for dungeons, events and endeavours) I didn't see any ghosts at all the first year and wouldn't have known that could happen if I hadn't heard about it on this forum. Having a ghost appear is a good prompt that if your character knows someone who died they could appear at the shrines.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the Indistinct Spirit a character unto their own? I always thought it meant I rolled an NPC that is not dead in my timeline because my character has not done the quest. Like if you roll King Laloriaran Dynar at an old life shrine but have not done the base game main story quest, then King Laloriaran Dynar is still alive and trapped in The Lightless Oubliette. Thus he gets replaced by "Indistinct Spirit". Is that not how it works?
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A full list of the spirits can be found here:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Old_Life_Observance#Possible_Spirits
    Call me Mait
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

I think it's a good addition for characters who don't qualify for any of the specific ghosts, to indicate there can be more to it, but it should probably be replaced by the specific ghosts instead of continuing to appear.

Because I normally do events on a character who hasn't done many quests (one I mainly use for dungeons, events and endeavours) I didn't see any ghosts at all the first year and wouldn't have known that could happen if I hadn't heard about it on this forum. Having a ghost appear is a good prompt that if your character knows someone who died they could appear at the shrines.

Agreed. I do the quests on my main, who has met characters who can be ghosts. I understand the imagination aspect but really, the reason I do that quest is to catch a glimse of characters from Summerset because they had such an impact on me. But with the addition of the nondistinct hosts, I get nondistinct ghosts most of the time. Maybe it’s because I’m behind on questing, but I really just want to see the NPCs I care about. Would be nice if it were changed so if you choose to burn another persons letter then it adds the nondistinct ghost to the pool so people have the option. That or a weighting system so you don’t get the same ghost multiple times in a row, though that may be more difficult to add.
    Edited by Soarora on January 2, 2024 8:11PM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have never noticed a difference in the task whether you take others' letters or not. It doesn't seem to matter at all, other than you feel bad if you decline.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My final list, and still nobody after N. Elsweyr. :(
    Ritemaster Iachesis (Summerset)
    Captain Nala-do (Northern Elsweyr)
    King Lalorioran Dynar (Original Zones - Coldharbour)
    High Priestess Solgra (Orsinium)
    Veya Releth (Summerset)
    Veya Releth (Summerset)
    Earl Leythen (Summerset)
    King Kurog (Orsinium)
    Little Leaf (Craglorn)
    Varen Aquilarios (Main Quest)
    Kassandra (Murkmire)
    Veya Releth (Summerset)
    Khali (Original Zones - Reaper's March)
  • Mycelius
    Mycelius
    ✭✭✭
    New Life event needs updating of spirits from High Isle and Necrom chapter content.
    Seems to have stopped at Gates of Oblivion (no pun intended :) )
    Edited by Mycelius on January 9, 2024 8:02AM