The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crazy King is the Worst Mode and Should be Removed Completely

Stamicka
Stamicka
✭✭✭✭✭
Out of about 30 BG queues over the past few days, 20 have been Crazy King (why is this terrible mode seemingly more common than any of the other modes)?

Out of all of the modes Crazy King is the most anti-pvp mode there is. The flags spawn and despawn too quickly and you spend most of the game running after the objective and hardly killing anyone. It is worse and less fun than Domination in every way. I think it should be removed completely.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deathmatch is the most fun, if I get crazy King or capture the relic i just run around jabbing
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with both flag modes is that there are too many flags. Crazy King and Donination would feel a lot better with only 3 flags - it would force engagements more and funnel people into the same place more. Less running around to unguarded flags and more actual objective based PvP
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on December 23, 2023 6:40PM
  • Verbum_Rithimus
    Verbum_Rithimus
    ✭✭✭
    Flag games, meh, they're just a fad;
    Deathmatch then they're not so bad.
    Deathmatch is such full fast fun;
    Enjoyed, I hope, by everyone!
    So much so that other types
    Are dull to me: boring tripe.
    But still the worst are relic games
    Dull and dumb they sap the brain;
    So Deathmatch mode all the time:
    I get clobbered, but it's just sublime.

• Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea Capture the Relic is a close 2nd for worst mode ever. If we are being honest I only like Deathmatch and Chaosball, but I can at least put up with Domination. Crazy King is unbearable, makes me want to leave before it starts.
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "One who is able to defeat the enemy on the battlefield without fighting, by courageously avoiding combat and perpetually running away to unguarded flags, achieves the epitome of tactical skill and is most deserving of victory."

-Objective Tzu, according to ESO objective players.
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy King doesn't even let you have it your way.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish more ppl played bgs. When I play them on xbox na these days, it’s the same 20-30 players. Not exaggerating.

They should create more incentives for ppl to play bgs. Maybe earn a unique mount or something? I dunno. Bg pop feels much smaller than 3 years ago when I started.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just wish more ppl played bgs. When I play them on xbox na these days, it’s the same 20-30 players. Not exaggerating.

They should create more incentives for ppl to play bgs. Maybe earn a unique mount or something? I dunno. Bg pop feels much smaller than 3 years ago when I started.

That's because u35 lost like 50 percent of the existing endgame (trifecta and hm pusher pve and sweaty pvp) population.

Necrom was a better chapter than elsweyr, greymoor, Blackwood and high isle, and the most recent patch has added some great changes and things to the game, but it is just way too late as many players are long gone.

In bgs we lost a massive amount of the population back in 2019 with the queue changes and whiplash dot changes. We lost a ton more in 2021 with the dc + hrothgar releases (which were warned were overtuned but zos didn't listen and took way too long to nerf) which perfectly coincided with new world release. And then a ton more in u35 as previously mentioned.

It would take zos doing 1 or more of the following to get the bg community growing again

1) daily bg rewards 10 transmutes like the daily dungeon does
    2) new bg map(s)
    3) adding a dm only queue and removing dm from random queue for solo queue
    4) adding a group dm queue and/or removing the other group modes
    5) changing up bgs - 6v6 for objective matches or changing objective modes to encourage pvp and not avoiding other players
    6) a custom bg lobby so teams could actually play each other for premade nights

Most of these things would not require much effort in the grand scheme of things. I really hope zos will do 1 or more of these.

@ZOS_Kevin please relay this to the combat team
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best solution is #6. And you can call it what you want-- custom BG lobby, group duels, whatever. So many problems are solved when the community is free to make it's own fun. It's really the only way to even try to please everyone.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crazy king would be a lot better with 1 flag and you only get points for scoring kills on the flag. Crazy right
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    BGs today are the same as they were 5 years ago with no change to modes or maps. - no doubt, people are tired of the monotony.

What we need is a NEW mode to complain about.
    CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Udrath wrote: »
    Crazy king would be a lot better with 1 flag and you only get points for scoring kills on the flag. Crazy right

This seems like such a cool idea until I realized things like DC and vicious death exist.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can barely tell the difference between the two flag games so I wouldn’t be opposed to one being tweaked.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Oblivion_Protocol
    Oblivion_Protocol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crazy King doesn’t bother me nearly as much as Chaosball. Who thought that it was a good idea to have a mode where the points depend on who can hold something the longest without dying…in a game where it’s possible to be a nearly immortal tank with minimal effort?
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see nobody in the thread wears coward's :D

Crazy king is easiest with stage 4 vampire and permanent major expedition. I often sprint across unaware opponents and get score ticking before they even finish pointless fights
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

Crazy king is easiest with stage 4 vampire and permanent major expedition. I often sprint across unaware opponents and get score ticking before they even finish pointless fights

Probably because not all players like to roleplay as cowards in battlegrounds and instead prefer to play them for quick fights :smile:
    Edited by Arcanasx on January 15, 2024 11:11PM
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

That is, quite literally, the issue with the gamemode.

It doesn't encourage PvP, and actively punishes you for continuing to fight a team that started the engagement.

You're encouraged in Crazy King to immediately disengage from every fight and sprint to the newest unguarded flag.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on January 17, 2024 6:07PM
  • Oblivion_Protocol
    Oblivion_Protocol
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is, quite literally, the issue with the gamemode.

It doesn't encourage PvP, and actively punishes you for continuing to fight a team that started the engagement.

You're encouraged in Crazy King to immediately disengage from every fight and sprint to the newest unguarded flag.

Frankly, that’s the problem with 95% of Battlegrounds. Anytime you have a PvP system where it’s possible to win without ever touching a single offensive ability or even looking at another player, you don’t have PvP. You just have PvE with extra steps.
  • soelslaev
    soelslaev
    ✭✭
    …Anytime you have a PvP system where it’s possible to win without ever touching a single offensive ability or even looking at another player, you don’t have PvP. You just have PvE with extra steps.

I’ve tried telling this to other Alliances in Cyrodiil when they steal our scrolls, but still they refuse to stand and fight. So I whisper to the enemy scroll runner, “You’re just doing PVE with extra steps.” I bet when he sees that he just puts his controller down and starts crying – after dropping the scroll off at his keep like a loser, of course.

Edited by soelslaev on January 30, 2024 9:57PM
  • buzzclops
    buzzclops
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with both flag modes is that there are too many flags. Crazy King and Donination would feel a lot better with only 3 flags - it would force engagements more and funnel people into the same place more. Less running around to unguarded flags and more actual objective based PvP

This!

Ppl have been saying this for years. I even made posts about it.

I think Zos wants these modes in the game with this design to simply allow some players to get their daily done easier. It’s the only reason I can think of at this point. Really easy to just run around avoid fighting or get killed and respawn and finish second. If fighting had to always be involved some inexperienced players would never get their dailies done honestly. The learning curve is steep in eso.
  • Callidus
    Callidus
    Soul Shriven
    I'll vote that Chaosball is the worst, and most stupid game ever.

The land grab games just need a tweak with less flags, so that there is PvP. I like to win, but I hate standing at a flag for the entire game, and only getting to PvP a couple of times. Land grab is fixable, Chaosball is just dumb.
  • Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deathmatch > Chaosball > Crazy King > Domination > Capture The Relic
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Callidus wrote: »
    I'll vote that Chaosball is the worst, and most stupid game ever.

The land grab games just need a tweak with less flags, so that there is PvP. I like to win, but I hate standing at a flag for the entire game, and only getting to PvP a couple of times. Land grab is fixable, Chaosball is just dumb.

Chaos ball is also rather easily "fixed".

1) Fix the spot on the Dwemer map that you can go out of bounds (I've reported 1 particular player that abuses this daily on PC NA numerous times and the player has neither been banned, nor has the spot been fixed) along with any other out of bounds spots on other maps.

2) Add an un-cleansable snare to the Chaos ball so you can't just sprint around at max speed the entire match.

Done. Mode fixed.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on February 10, 2024 7:01PM
  • buzzclops
    buzzclops
    ✭✭✭
    Having the ball should just prevent you from going over the base 100% speed. Not necessarily a snare. But 100% agree they need to prevent ppl from just running around.
    But anyways it’s better to stack with your team and brawl with the ball to win rather than running.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    buzzclops wrote: »
    Having the ball should just prevent you from going over the base 100% speed. Not necessarily a snare. But 100% agree they need to prevent ppl from just running around.

No. I made my builds specifically for this!

It's not hard to charge stun kill me in 3 seconds the moment you spot me taking the ball.

Every BG players could use a gap closer, which most players including pros simply don't slot any.
    buzzclops wrote: »
    But anyways it’s better to stack with your team and brawl with the ball to win rather than running.

Have you tried to steal the ball or relic right under enemies' nose? And escaping in full speed while your team covers your retreat? It's glorious!
    Edited by moo_2021 on February 14, 2024 6:16PM
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love it when no one on my team will grab the chaosball

“i help the team by getting kills!”

mmm hmm thanks…
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    i love it when no one on my team will grab the chaosball

“i help the team by getting kills!”

mmm hmm thanks…

why wait? I always pick the ball first since I'm usually the fastest and tankiest (lowest MMR). Sometimes it feels unfair to my team.
  • Oblivion_Protocol
    Oblivion_Protocol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, the people who zoom around at 1,000 mph tick me off more than the uber tanks. At least you can fight the tanks and maybe have a chance at killing them. The 200% speed people are untouchable unless you’ve got spectacular enough reflexes to stun them before they take off.
    Edited by Oblivion_Protocol on February 18, 2024 9:23PM
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭

Yes too many, I hate this mode
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's because u35 lost like 50 percent of the existing endgame (trifecta and hm pusher pve and sweaty pvp) population.

Necrom was a better chapter than elsweyr, greymoor, Blackwood and high isle, and the most recent patch has added some great changes and things to the game, but it is just way too late as many players are long gone.

In bgs we lost a massive amount of the population back in 2019 with the queue changes and whiplash dot changes. We lost a ton more in 2021 with the dc + hrothgar releases (which were warned were overtuned but zos didn't listen and took way too long to nerf) which perfectly coincided with new world release. And then a ton more in u35 as previously mentioned.

It would take zos doing 1 or more of the following to get the bg community growing again

1) daily bg rewards 10 transmutes like the daily dungeon does
    2) new bg map(s)
    3) adding a dm only queue and removing dm from random queue for solo queue
    4) adding a group dm queue and/or removing the other group modes
    5) changing up bgs - 6v6 for objective matches or changing objective modes to encourage pvp and not avoiding other players
    6) a custom bg lobby so teams could actually play each other for premade nights

Most of these things would not require much effort in the grand scheme of things. I really hope zos will do 1 or more of these.

@ZOS_Kevin please relay this to the combat team

#3 is the best option. This is going to separate the casuals that just want the daily XP boost (me) from the PvP players that mostly just want to fight other players. Additionally, there needs to be player settings/checkboxes for "always DM", "never DM", and "all modes randomly".

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!