The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Resin & all upgrade items

Rammi
Rammi
✭✭✭
Hello All,

I have been focusing quite heavily on crafting but is anyone else finding the very slow ways of accumulating resins and other upgrade items frustrating. I'm not sure if this gets better later on in the game but the first 20 levels have been tough. I think i have acquired around 25 resins and around 30 pitches in that time along with about 5 each of the blue versions.

This seems very low to me given what is required to upgrade items with any degree of Certainty. I just feel this is a blocker to enabling crafters to actually create gear for others, as dropped gear is clearly better if crafters have a near impossible task of upgrading a set of gear they create.
The Champion System should have rewarded Champion Points based off of achievements and feats earned through excelling at end game content not grinding your life away vs mobs in order to stay competitive. This system is uncreative and is a great example of extremely lazy system design. Yes, you should be embarrassed
  • kevin.hirdb14_ESO
    kevin.hirdb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    So far all my crafting skills are still low, but I know the pain of struggling with temper drops. I'm hoping to come across them more as I start seeing more and more Green + gear to break down.
    The other option is to stand around offering to pay for them, but it seems like money in significant amounts is pretty hard to come by in ESO
  • overseeker79
    I'm glad that they made it a "pain in the neck" ... if it was too easy the whole economy would saturate and effectively collapse.

Keep up the hard work and it will pay off in the long run, I'm sure!
  • Crosswielder
    Refining all raw materials and deconstructing your world drops is the only way I know to do it. Best would be to work in concert with someone else so that you trade your honing stones and dwarven oil for pitch and tempur, etc. Leveling is so quick that you really don't need to have all green or blue gear to make it two levels to the next set of gear. Once your gear is past the level of usefulness deconstruct it, or if you made it send it to a friend to deconstruct. Hirelings are also a good source of useful items, the better your hireling the better your daily delivery.
  • GreyLion
    GreyLion
    For an amount of loot that some dungeons may provide, and i am talking in color labeled loot, you can get more then plenty. At the lvl 10 of woodcrafting i have collected 3 mastics, almost 30 turpen, and 70 of pitch. Yes, it involved help from the other characters by providing me with stuff, sanded oak refine CAN provide with mastics, that is how i got 2 out of 3, third one came with hireling. So, point is - i have not noticed lack of balance from my personal perspective.
  • Atyx
    Atyx
    The higher your skill is with the profession, the higher the chance. You also have a chance to put a skill point in an extraction perk to help with this grind. Also, i know from experience, once i started refining orch- ore, i was getting dwarven oil 2/5 times i refined them. So it's not as hard as it seems, later on down the road.
  • Rammi
    Rammi
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed ti would get a bit better later on! Just right now i can barley make gear for myself with the drops I'm getting let alone for others. I'm all for things being hard but I would like to see better rates of acquiring these. I personally think doubling the rate of drops would be fine and would not ruin the economy from what I'm seeing but then I'm a small sample set i guess.
    The Champion System should have rewarded Champion Points based off of achievements and feats earned through excelling at end game content not grinding your life away vs mobs in order to stay competitive. This system is uncreative and is a great example of extremely lazy system design. Yes, you should be embarrassed
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    I think it works. It helps to keep the game from getting flooded with a ton of high quality crafted items which would completely deflate their value.

Rarity of the higher quality improvement materials means that higher quality crafted items will command a higher price which gives crafters a reason to craft. Otherwise it turns into a worthless time and material sink.

There's already enough greens and blues floating around from random drops and people obsessively camping named mobs in the public dungeons. No need to add more fuel to that fire.
  • Shalizar
    Shalizar
    Soul Shriven
    @Opioid I agree completely. Crafting in most games die off, due to the availability and ease of getting said items. The DEVS mentioned already that the best gear in game will be Crafted. That statement alone justifies certain materials drop rate to be on the rare side. It's not the road we have to travel, but the reward at the destination that matters. Cheers!
    Edited by Shalizar on April 3, 2014 7:00PM
  • bigscoothb14_ESO
    I have 6 characters that have the minor hireling bringing in constant stuff. (sky shard runs to get skill points and deconstructing your main build) Use the other characters to store mats green and blue items till you get the second deconstruction skill. Better to wait if possible and get the rare items mid-game than to use them if you do not need to.
    Hells Bell___________________Highelf Sorc
    D-Argo______________________Orc DK
    Orici Adria__________________Breton Templar
    Primortial Erubus____________Woodelf NB
    Vortas______________________Darkelf Sorc
    Quickly-Kills-for-Skooma_____Khajiit NB
  • Rammi
    Rammi
    ✭✭✭
    I have 6 characters that have the minor hireling bringing in constant stuff. (sky shard runs to get skill points and deconstructing your main build) Use the other characters to store mats green and blue items till you get the second deconstruction skill. Better to wait if possible and get the rare items mid-game than to use them if you do not need to.

Great Tip I'm going to do that