Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Forced to Switch to Console Because PC is Too Inaccessible for the Deaf

Jaded_Jay
Jaded_Jay
✭✭
I started this game on console and eventually switched to PC for better performance, quality of life, and raid team options. PC was a big improvement in almost every way. Unfortunately, I developed a rare disease which has caused me to go from someone who could hear perfectly to someone who is deaf in a matter of weeks.

PC does not have in game voice chat and most people rely on discord to communicate over voice. Unfortunately, Discord does not support speech to text, so it is not possible for me to hear my friends talking if I am in a voice channel with them. This brings me to console. Xbox has been great for me, because not only do the Xbox parties support speech to text, but since ESO has voice chat on console, the game itself has a feature that converts in game voice chats to text that appears in the HUD.

Console has multiple ways to still participate in voice chats for deaf people while PC has none. Part of this is due to Discord, but if ESO on PC had an in game voice chat option, I would still be able to play on PC and communicate with my friends.

Since I don't want to force my friends or team members to type just so I can communicate with them, I have no choice but to stay on console if I want to play ESO with others. Almost all of my raid gear is on PC and I much prefer to raid on PC over console. I will not be able to get back into raiding on PC unless either discord adds speech to text, or ESO adds voice chat for PC with the same accessibility options that the console version has.

Please address this, as I am sure there are more deaf people out there.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried any of them but a quick internet search brought up lots of speech to text (and text to speech) programs that claim to work with Discord. It might be worth trying some out and seeing if they work for you. It would be surprising if none of them to work with Discord given how widely used it is (not just for games).

I'm honestly surprised it's not something Discord itself offers considering they made a big fuss of their accessibility options, but it looks like they only have text-to-speech, which is pretty useless if it doesn't also work the other way.

(I never use voice chat of any kind on PC, but I also don't do trials so I don't think that's a solution for you, especially if you want to play with a specific group and they do use voice chat.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    World of Warcraft added voice chat to their game, barely anyone ever uses it and before Discord became the popular option, people preferred to use other voice chat options whether it be Ventrilo, Teamspeak, or Mumble to name a few. Consoles don't have other options, in-game or console provided Voice Chat is their only solution, there are no third party options. When given a choice, most opt for what they know best.

If ESO added Voice Chat to PC, yes you would probably get the same benefit with Speech to Text, but the usage of it would be at the low end, especially if its restricted in certain areas like PvP if you could only talk with same faction for example. Discord people having their moles on all 3 sides of Cyrodiil via Voice Chat is a must have in PvP, you need to know what the other side is planning. It would be a benefit to have, but getting everyone to switch over to it would be another matter entirely and may never be the results you seek.

it's new, but we do have discord connectivity on playstation and xbox too.

and if zos added voice chat that they already have on consoles they'd probably just make it exactly the same thus making it more accessible.
    i definitely believe plenty of people on pc would use in-game voice chat.

plus some people don't like to use discord.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see adding voice chat for accessibility, but I'd never touch it. I already have voices off in game as much as possible - it's SO not my thing. I'd mute the whole game if voice chat got installed.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Jaded_Jay
    Jaded_Jay
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I haven't tried any of them but a quick internet search brought up lots of speech to text (and text to speech) programs that claim to work with Discord. It might be worth trying some out and seeing if they work for you. It would be surprising if none of them to work with Discord given how widely used it is (not just for games).

I'm honestly surprised it's not something Discord itself offers considering they made a big fuss of their accessibility options, but it looks like they only have text-to-speech, which is pretty useless if it doesn't also work the other way.

(I never use voice chat of any kind on PC, but I also don't do trials so I don't think that's a solution for you, especially if you want to play with a specific group and they do use voice chat.)

I tried the speech to text bots on discord and there's many issues. First, the text is output to a channel you have to create. You can make this work with the discord overlay while you are playing a game, but its clunky looking and distracting. They are far less accurate than the versions I from big companies (as expected). They are also far slower than the built in ones I've used. Long story short they suck, not to mention you have to have mod privileges to even invite the bot to a server.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaded_Jay wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I can see adding voice chat for accessibility, but I'd never touch it. I already have voices off in game as much as possible - it's SO not my thing. I'd mute the whole game if voice chat got installed.

It's on console, yea you could choose to never join a voice channel you wouldn't even notice its there.

Assuming it defaulted to "off" - which was a definite problem for XBox a while back.... I don't remember how long it took the devs to fix that, but it certainly wasn't fast.
    Edited by TaSheen on December 16, 2023 11:09PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    World of Warcraft added voice chat to their game, barely anyone ever uses it and before Discord became the popular option, people preferred to use other voice chat options whether it be Ventrilo, Teamspeak, or Mumble to name a few. Consoles don't have other options, in-game or console provided Voice Chat is their only solution, there are no third party options. When given a choice, most opt for what they know best.

If ESO added Voice Chat to PC, yes you would probably get the same benefit with Speech to Text, but the usage of it would be at the low end, especially if its restricted in certain areas like PvP if you could only talk with same faction for example. Discord people having their moles on all 3 sides of Cyrodiil via Voice Chat is a must have in PvP, you need to know what the other side is planning. It would be a benefit to have, but getting everyone to switch over to it would be another matter entirely and may never be the results you seek.
    This also the limit to 12 man groups makes using discord even more important in PvP then having an 2 or even 3 team platoon. Now doing vet dlc its nice have an 5th knowing the mechanics.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Jaded_Jay
    Jaded_Jay
    ✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

it's new, but we do have discord connectivity on playstation and xbox too.

and if zos added voice chat that they already have on consoles they'd probably just make it exactly the same thus making it more accessible.
    i definitely believe plenty of people on pc would use in-game voice chat.

plus some people don't like to use discord.

Precisely, there's only benefits. No reason to oppose this.

@ZOS_Kevin Any info about plans to add voice chat to PC?
    Edited by Jaded_Jay on December 18, 2023 4:46PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i always disable built-in voice chats lol, i think a lot of people end up doing so and like other posters mention, you would have to have the group use the in game voice chat. i dont really see many people using a built in game voice chat either

for my current gaming setup, i could never actually even use in game voice chat because i dont do voice chat on my main desktop, i use a laptop on the side to run my discord for voice things, my desktop doesnt even have a mic attached to it

as for discord, i think there are some things which do allow text to voice options, but not the other way around (voice to text) unless there was some kind of specialized bot for it (i dont know too much in what discord bots can and cant do though)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

“If ESO added Voice Chat to PC, yes you would probably get the same benefit with Speech to Text, but the usage of it would be at the low end, especially if its restricted in certain areas like PvP if you could only talk with same faction for example. Discord people having their moles on all 3 sides of Cyrodiil via Voice Chat is a must have in PvP, you need to know what the other side is planning. It would be a benefit to have, but getting everyone to switch over to it would be another matter entirely and may never be the results you seek.[/quote]”

Eh it’s possible due to discord use but I don’t think voice chat would be ignored and much as some may think especially in PVP. I played ESO on Xbox from 2015-2017 and voice chat feature in groups (not Xbox party chat but the voice chat feature) was used a lot. In fact it’s one of the few things console does better than PC in PvP. You can just instantly communicate with your party and those nearby while actively fighting. A ton of people talked all the time and it’s my fondest memories of the game.

In PC I have to go hide somewhere to type in fear that I’ll get attacked while
    Typing. It’s a pain.
    Edited by UGotBenched91 on December 19, 2023 3:59PM
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eh it’s possible due to discord use but I don’t think voice chat would be ignored and much as some may think especially in PVP. I played ESO on Xbox from 2015-2017 and voice chat feature in groups (not Xbox party chat but the voice chat feature) was used a lot. In fact it’s one of the few things console does better than PC in PvP. You can just instantly communicate with your party and those nearby while actively fighting. A ton of people talked all the time and it’s my fondest memories of the game.

In PC I have to go hide somewhere to type in fear that I’ll get attacked while
    Typing. It’s a pain.

Same here, except I was on Xbox from 2017 to 2020… the Cyrodiil voice chat (in a full 24 person group) was great times! While it’s all about Discord with the PC, it’s far less convenient than having it “built in”. As it is now, I don’t bother with voice chat at all on PC. Also, bring back the big groups! For the love of stendarr, at least 16 person groups…
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is the console voice chat is provided by Sony and Microsoft and built into the console, not part of the game, (I guess it runs kind of like an overlay) so I'm not sure ZOS could provide exactly the same version on PC. Maybe Microsoft would share the software now ZOS are a subsidiary, but I don't know if it would run on PCs.

If PC did get voice chat I'd probably have to use speech to text as well. My hearing is ok but I usually have to play with the sound turned off due to other noise in the room (and I can't wear headphones because I need to be aware of what's going on around me). Also I don't have a microphone for the PC and I'm not going to buy one for the rare occasions I could use it. (I've used my phone for Discord sometimes, but I couldn't do built-in voice chat through my phone.)

For now my solution is to always tell guilds and groups upfront that I can't use voice chat and only join ones that don't require it, which is usually not a problem.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • markywings
    markywings
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone! I'm a deaf player on PlayStation. I never play ESO on PC but yeah there common problem for me as well. PSN has speech to text feature but it is too annoying because when 11 people talk a lot and I could not keep up with all the texts lol. I stop using it. One of the guild mates kind enough to type for me with all the mechs. PSN speech to text not that good yet. PSN speech to text only work when we use PS voice party but not in game itself. One of my guilds use in-game voice so I can't use speech to text. Every guild works differently. Some use PS voice party and some use ESO voice chat. Can it be better and more deaf friendly yes there is room for improvement for sure. I am still trying to find a way how the guild can communicate with me better. I understand not all of them have keyboard which will slow them down a lot while using in game keyboard (I hate PS in game keyboard lol). Console version don't have add on to let us know when incoming attack or block etc so it can be hard for me to know when it's coming to block etc. This is where I suffer the most lol. Tank always call out when it is about to happen but of course I miss out cos of that lol.
    Edited by markywings on December 20, 2023 12:44PM
    Dark Elf Stamina Warden level 50
  • Jaded_Jay
    Jaded_Jay
    ✭✭
    markywings wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'm a deaf player on PlayStation. I never play ESO on PC but yeah there common problem for me as well. PSN has speech to text feature but it is too annoying because when 11 people talk a lot and I could not keep up with all the texts lol. I stop using it. One of the guild mates kind enough to type for me with all the mechs. PSN speech to text not that good yet. PSN speech to text only work when we use PS voice party but not in game itself. One of my guilds use in-game voice so I can't use speech to text. Every guild works differently. Some use PS voice party and some use ESO voice chat. Can it be better and more deaf friendly yes there is room for improvement for sure. I am still trying to find a way how the guild can communicate with me better. I understand not all of them have keyboard which will slow them down a lot while using in game keyboard (I hate PS in game keyboard lol). Console version don't have add on to let us know when incoming attack or block etc so it can be hard for me to know when it's coming to block etc. This is where I suffer the most lol. Tank always call out when it is about to happen but of course I miss out cos of that lol.

Hey! I'm sorry you have to go through this as well it can feel isolating. There is in game speech to text (on xbox) there should be on PS as well. If you go to your settings then to accessibility mode, you'll see an option to turn on voice chat transcription. From there you can send the transcriptions to your HUD. I was presently surprised at how good ESO's built in speech to text is. It is fast and pretty accurate. Its surprisingly one of the best I've used. It makes a world of a difference!

Let me know if Playstation is missing this feature as well, cause if so that's an issue too.
    Edited by Jaded_Jay on December 20, 2023 2:17PM
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well not everyone needs to switch over to in game voice chat. Even if it is seldom used it doesn't hurt anyone, it would only have benefits. For people in my situation however, it would be a huge help. I'm only concerned with communicating to friends or members of a raid team. I think those people would be much more willing to make the switch when I am around to accommodate me. It should at least be an option.

The problem is from a corporate budgetary perspective why would ZoS expend man hours and capital on a feature that the target audience is unlikely to use due to heavy community preference for third party programs? I really feel for you in this instance and hope there's a way that you can make this situation work, however as one who works for a large publicly traded company that is how ZoS is likely to view this request.

In my opinion this is one more reason why crossplay would be ideal for an aging MMO whose player base ebbs and flows with expansions and balancing patches...cough...U35...cough. If ESO also had an in game free store front for ZoS vetted community addons that console could use similar to the Skyrim and Fallout 4 creation clubs there would be more parity for console with PC making crossplay even better for our console brethren.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you do google search,there's actually quite a few speech to text bots for discord.SeaVoice and Scripty seem to be 2 good ones.Just try some out and see which works best for you.
  • Jaded_Jay
    Jaded_Jay
    ✭✭
    If you do google search,there's actually quite a few speech to text bots for discord.SeaVoice and Scripty seem to be 2 good ones.Just try some out and see which works best for you.

As mentioned before…. I have tried these bots and they suck. They are much worse than ESOs speech to text and Xbox speech to text. Not to mention I can’t expect every server I’m in to set up these bots and configure them for me. It is not a solution to the problem.

Well not everyone needs to switch over to in game voice chat. Even if it is seldom used it doesn't hurt anyone, it would only have benefits. For people in my situation however, it would be a huge help. I'm only concerned with communicating to friends or members of a raid team. I think those people would be much more willing to make the switch when I am around to accommodate me. It should at least be an option.

The problem is from a corporate budgetary perspective why would ZoS expend man hours and capital on a feature that the target audience is unlikely to use due to heavy community preference for third party programs? I really feel for you in this instance and hope there's a way that you can make this situation work, however as one who works for a large publicly traded company that is how ZoS is likely to view this request.

In my opinion this is one more reason why crossplay would be ideal for an aging MMO whose player base ebbs and flows with expansions and balancing patches...cough...U35...cough. If ESO also had an in game free store front for ZoS vetted community addons that console could use similar to the Skyrim and Fallout 4 creation clubs there would be more parity for console with PC making crossplay even better for our console brethren.

I’m hopeful. ZOS put a lot of effort into accessibility recently and I’m hoping they genuinely want to make the game accessible for all. This would be a step towards that.
    Edited by Jaded_Jay on December 20, 2023 4:27PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i get wanting things to be more accessible, but as i mentioned too in my previous post, in order for it to help you, other people would have to use it as well

many people dislike built in voice chats and would probably disable it (i would probably do that for sure, i greatly dislike "area" voice chats in any game i play)

in other cases like mine, i could never use a built in voice chat because i dont have a mic for the desktop i run ESO on
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My understanding is the console voice chat is provided by Sony and Microsoft and built into the console, not part of the game, (I guess it runs kind of like an overlay) so I'm not sure ZOS could provide exactly the same version on PC. Maybe Microsoft would share the software now ZOS are a subsidiary, but I don't know if it would run on PCs.

If PC did get voice chat I'd probably have to use speech to text as well. My hearing is ok but I usually have to play with the sound turned off due to other noise in the room (and I can't wear headphones because I need to be aware of what's going on around me). Also I don't have a microphone for the PC and I'm not going to buy one for the rare occasions I could use it. (I've used my phone for Discord sometimes, but I couldn't do built-in voice chat through my phone.)

For now my solution is to always tell guilds and groups upfront that I can't use voice chat and only join ones that don't require it, which is usually not a problem.

PSN has party chat but there is an in-game voice chat as well
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• markywings
    markywings
    ✭✭
    markywings wrote: »

Hey! I'm sorry you have to go through this as well it can feel isolating. There is in game speech to text (on xbox) there should be on PS as well. If you go to your settings then to accessibility mode, you'll see an option to turn on voice chat transcription. From there you can send the transcriptions to your HUD. I was presently surprised at how good ESO's built in speech to text is. It is fast and pretty accurate. Its surprisingly one of the best I've used. It makes a world of a difference!

Let me know if Playstation is missing this feature as well, cause if so that's an issue too.

Hello, I just check it and thank you so much for that as honestly I didn't know those part on voice chat and add it on HUD part. I will ask guild to test it for me to see how it work now. You are the hero! <3
    Dark Elf Stamina Warden level 50
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminded me that we ( My old guild that is) use to raid in EQ with no form of VO....things are far from perfect but we have come a long way.

Edited by Warhawke_80 on December 20, 2023 6:10PM
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is the console voice chat is provided by Sony and Microsoft and built into the console, not part of the game,

The Playstation party chat and the ESO ingame voice chat are two different things.

ESO ingame voice chat is part of the game. You can find it in your ingame ESO menu. But sound quality is really bad. Like really really bad. You can not adjust the volume of each player, so some people will make your ears bleed while others are not loud enough to understand. There are different channels you can use for group, guild and area, but the whole thing is very rudimentary. And it's buggy for a lot of people. So not everyone can use it. And there was a time when area voice chat was always activated when you logged in. A lot of Playstation 5 players didn't know about the mic build into their controller, so you heard private conversations with toilets, cats etc. all the time.

Playstation party chat is part of the Playstation party system. You have to actively open a party/group in the Playstation menu, invite players to your party and then you can text the whole group in the party text chat (comparable to discord-, whatsapp-, and facebook groups). And you can start a party voice chat where only members of your party can join. It has way better sound quality than the ingame voice chat. And you can adjust the volume of each player (PS4 too btw. not just PS5).
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i get wanting things to be more accessible, but as i mentioned too in my previous post, in order for it to help you, other people would have to use it as well

many people dislike built in voice chats and would probably disable it (i would probably do that for sure, i greatly dislike "area" voice chats in any game i play)

in other cases like mine, i could never use a built in voice chat because i dont have a mic for the desktop i run ESO on

But, if they get it working, it could be valuable for everyone. Typiing on console is painful.

What if ZOS could create something where you speak and it translates to text for everyone? I don't voice chat, but I would be more likely to speak if no one could hear me but my comments were in text chat.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mik195 wrote: »

But, if they get it working, it could be valuable for everyone. Typiing on console is painful.

What if ZOS could create something where you speak and it translates to text for everyone? I don't voice chat, but I would be more likely to speak if no one could hear me but my comments were in text chat.

i would agree typing on console would suck lol

but that still wouldnt change how i play, i do voice chat on discord that runs on a separate computer, and i would disable any in-game voice chat if one were added (and i couldnt use it anyway with no mic on that computer)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Jaded_Jay Thanks so much for sharing your perspective and experience here. While we don't have anything to announce now regarding this, we have passed your feedback on to our accessibility team for review.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In-game chat is so nice on console. Makes pugs easier for sure