The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Addon building help?

Jesper
Jesper
Soul Shriven
Is there a good guide for people new to add-on development(preferably a video tutorial). That or might there be anyone willing to do some mentoring?

I do understand how to read code at a basic level(been self teaching) but every add-on I've looked at has multiple files some with hundreds of lines of code and some with terrible formatting and such. It gets a bit overwhelming to read through and figure out what is what on your own.

I've been successful doing some light scripting in the past but nothing on a scale required to make the add-ons I'm hoping to create.

-Jesper
Edited by Jesper on April 2, 2014 12:34PM

Best Answer

• Tarkus
    Tarkus
    LUA editors could be useful, SciTE and alike.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tarkus wrote: »
    LUA editors could be useful, SciTE and alike.
    If you don't have a proper IDE, Notepad++ is often a good bet.
    It supports syntax highlighting and language detection for Lua and XML alike and has some IntelliSense/Autocompletion Features.

It might also help to get a look at Lua first:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_%28programming_language%29
    It's a pretty odd language, compared to the ones I know.

As I undestand it so far an Addon conists at least of:
    1 Folder to contain the files (no spaces in name)
    1 .txt file of same name as folder. Contains data like title, API version (for version check) and wich .lua/.xml files belong to the addon
    1+ .xml file wich defines any GUI elements needed
    1+ .lua file wich contains all the Code Behind needed (inlcuding Events raised by the GUI Elements).

The .xml and .lua files can be named however you want and it can be as many as you need for code seperation.
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    There are a ton of good resources, and helpful threads, in the Developer Discussions section of our forums. As well, don't forget that we've got guilds set up on both the EU and the NA servers, Arcane Scripters Guild. Additionally, there's the IRC channel where you'd be welcome to come hang out. Server: irc.freenode.net Channel: #esouidev
    Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI