Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

ESO In 4K

lionspider
lionspider
Soul Shriven
Greetings.

I have lots of questions but I'll keep them all in their own threads.

My first few questions are about playing ESO in 4K

Does ESO look good in 4K? Does ESO run well in 4K? Do all the textures go in 4K? Or do some textures run in 1080P and some in 4K? What kind of computer do I need to run ESO in 4K at 60FPS? Do I need a computer to be the best of the best to run eso in 4K?
Edited by lionspider on November 30, 2023 1:36AM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • lionspider
    lionspider
    Soul Shriven
    Tornaad wrote: »

Thank you.

I have a question though when you say optimized textures and not upscaling do you mean native 4K resolution?
    Edited by lionspider on November 30, 2023 3:21AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I could ever run ESO below 120 FPS ever again, my game runs mostly at 1440p 150-200 FPS. Fluidity motion performance over higher texture quality that is slow as molasses.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just got a 43" 4k monitor/TV

The Monitor is what allowed me to increase pixels. Didn't change the computer at all.

The game looks and runs Awesome

:#

• p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lionspider wrote: »
    Greetings.

I have lots of questions but I'll keep them all in their own threads.

My first few questions are about playing ESO in 4K

Does ESO look good in 4K? Does ESO run well in 4K? Do all the textures go in 4K? Or do some textures run in 1080P and some in 4K? What kind of computer do I need to run ESO in 4K at 60FPS? Do I need a computer to be the best of the best to run eso in 4K?

Downscaling from 4K to 2560x1440 since 2014. I could do it with a R9 290X back then, and all upgrades ever since, so all modern mid-range GPUs can do it. Even a 4y old AMD 5700XT or 6y old Vega 64.

One note in config the MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS value is "-3" it improved bit the textures.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that most 4K monitor only do 60fps at that resolution, but if you fine with that, the game does look good in 4K.
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS5 on an 85" - looks absolutely amazing.
    Hope that helps.
    CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • redsaaryn
    redsaaryn
    ✭✭
    i have played eso in an old PC, in fact I beat most of the base game in that old PC! and I'm talking about 16mb video 500mb ram old computer and the only issue I had was that I had to do 640xx480 and molten plastic textures as well as long load times. and here yall are trying to make the game look photorealistic...honestly I love how khajiits are made in here and skyrim and would love to see the game with the best graphics ever. i wanna see them khajiit fur react to the world wind
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run an antique GPU with 2 4k screens. Game is MUCH better with 4k, even though the base game texes aren't as nice as the later DLC ones (doesn't really bother me - the whole game is pretty good compared to my last MMOs WoW and RIFT).

I'm getting a nice upgrade with the new machine I just ordered - not the "latest and greatest" NVIDIA GPU, but for me a 4060 TI is a SERIOUS upgrade, so I'm really looking forward to it. Won't be installing everything until after Christmas (assuming this antique doesn't die before then) but in January, I expect to be really happy with the look of the game.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lionspider wrote: »
    Does ESO look good in 4K?
    Yes. I play in 4K. The main benefit is the almost total elimination of jagged edges compared to 1080p (I have not played at 1440p). Depending on zoom and how closely you look, character models also look better, e.g. especially if you take screenshots and crop them.

As I have all the settings cranked, there is possibly an improvement to shadows and sense of depth, which however doesn't have anything to do with resolution. People keep telling me to look out for the red berserkers in vRG, yet I was puzzled about what they're talking about until I looked at a dead berserker closely. I think this may have something to do with the shadow rendering at maximum settings. It looks good, but from a competitive gameplay perspective it isn't always helpful.
    Does ESO run well in 4K?
    Yes.
    Do all the textures go in 4K? Or do some textures run in 1080P and some in 4K?
    No idea / refer to previous answers.
    What kind of computer do I need to run ESO in 4K at 60FPS?
    I run it on a 5800X3D, RTX3070 and a 144Hz 4K TV with variable refresh rate support. I have limited the CPU to 8 cores (no hyper-threading) and the GPU to a 70% power target in order to achieve a whisper-quiet PC. With almost all settings cranked to maximum, but using DLSS Quality, the average frame rate is around 100Hz on that setup.
    Do I need a computer to be the best of the best to run eso in 4K?
    No. If your target is only 60Hz, you probably only need something like an RX6600. That said, I don't know how that card scales to 4K in this or any game and whether FSR looks as good as DLSS. The RX6600 has about 60% the power of the RTX3070. If you insisted on rendering natively (no DLSS), and with every slider more or less cranked, you would probably need something like an RTX3070 to achieve 60Hz. TL;DR: You need something mid-range, not high-end, albeit mid-range isn't cheap these days.

The only issue is, when I record with OBS, the footage is subtly but noticeably juddery. It's normally very smooth. This may may have to do with with downsampling to 1080p / 60Hz during recording, although I notice it even while playing with OBS recording, not just in the recorded footage. Could be nvenc having an impact on the card's performance or that recording at 60Hz impacts VRR.

This is a desktop system we're talking about. If you're thinking about a laptop, especially a thin one, you got to temper your expectations. I have run ESO on a 4K 16" laptop with a mobile RTX3080. I believe the GPU on that laptop was power limited to 80W, but that's in maximum power mode, where such a machine IMO gets unreasonably hot and loud. Frame rates would basically match the desktop, but be all over the place, as the laptop seemed to frequently veer into thermal throttling territory. Changing the Windows 10 power slider to medium or low power tamed the noise and thermals - actually really well implemented - but the GPU would lock in at 60Hz or even 30Hz. In order to get a consistent 60Hz with lowish fan noise and bearable thermals, I had to drop to 1080p on this particular laptop. That said, this was a slim workstation design, not a chunky gaming laptop.

I wouldn't say that ESO needs the 5800X3D. My guess is that something more mid-range, 6 cores and up, would be fine for ESO. I just decided to go with the endgame gaming CPU for my socket (AM4), as I tend to retain my systems unchanged for many years.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brakkish wrote: »
    PS5 on an 85" - looks absolutely amazing.
    Hope that helps.

This is my gaming setup too!

The amount of detail of textures in 4K is just incredible. The lighting differences with HDR are stunning as well.

I had never really noticed before that Daedric ruins had red runes on the walls before. Stuff like that.

As for performance, I run in Cyrodiil campaign Gray Host at prime time and rarely have any trouble.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA