The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The "New to TESO PvP" Guide

Hawke
Hawke
✭✭✭✭
So I have seen a lot of people waiting for different guilds to get formed up so they can be a viable force in Cyrodiil, and I just wanted to make a little guide to help folks understand just how PvP works here.

First off, what is Cyrodiil?

Well, for those who were playing SWTOR, it would be like Illum, but actually works. You have different generic quests that are pvp or pve related, you can repeat as many times you want. Cyrodiil is huge. For you to run from one keep to another is about three or four minutes. But there is a problem with that.... I'll get into that in a moment.

How are they going to fit 5 million people on one map?

They have different "Campaigns". These are simply instances of the same map. You have to declare one your home campaign that cannot be changed until 24 hours have passed and even then will cost you resources to make a change to another "instance".

Let me be clear on that dirty word instance. It isn't like going into a dungeon with just you and your friends, or like in Age of Conan limit an entire zone to just 100 people. Each instance is 2,000 people, all fighting for the castles and keeps, and they are not there for just ships and giggles... it costs like 100,000 gold or Alliance Points to change your campaign. So those guilds and players in your "instance" of Cyrodiil, they are there for the long haul.

What if I am just in a 10 person guild, are we still useful?

YES! A 5-10 man "stealth" (since everyone can hide) group that is waiting for reinforcements of an enemy alliance can turn the tide of battle for a keep defense because the enemy can't get their numbers back to the fight. Or when you are on the offense, 10 man groups can easily take out the farms and mines to help the main force take that castle, and you are working with people you know.

But what if I dont want to be a part of the yelling and zergs?

Then dont be. Turn off /zone chat and do the scouting missions. Go and gank people in the way I said above and just choose solo or duo targets. Or don't seek out PvP at all. Harvest nodes, kill NPCs, explore.

Just how cool is PvP here?

When I finally chose a campaign and went to PvP, I discovered my hands were shaking (albeit just a little, but shaking) after I made my first solo kill. It was the same feeling I had in DAOC when I made my first kill. I did not feel that in Age of Conan, WAR, SWTOR, EQ2... but here, yes, I did. It is awesome!

I keep getting ganked by damned stealthers! PvP Sucks!

Remember what I said that 8 man groups can do above? Yeah, you aren't so special to be excluded from the receiving end. Sorry. Some tricks for you. Stay off the ridgelines and hills. If you think you are going to engage with the enemy, get off your horse! Horses are great for movement, but if you get knocked off, that is a free "stun" for the enemy. For the love of all that is good... stay OFF the main roads! Where do you think the enemy is going to try to gank their targets at?

Well that is it for now, hopefully some of this will help get people off of the PvE and move out to experience some PvP in Cyrodiil. There is more to say, but this is a good start.

As always, please rate me. LOL, insightful whatever is fine.

Thank you again!
  • ragehatred48b14_ESO2
    +1 sir.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ragehatred48b14_ESO2 no no, thank you! Just hope it helps out some folks.
  • BluntedJ
    BluntedJ
    You make me wanna PvP. +1

I look forward to helping you people get kill stats. :)
  • BluntedJ
    BluntedJ
    You make me wanna PvP. +1

I look forward to helping you people get kill stats. :)
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BluntedJ No worries, I got more than I gave out there in Cyrodiil... many times I had to respawn. But I had fun, and well, everyone should at least try it out, as it is pretty fun.
  • BluntedJ
    BluntedJ
    Sorry, didn't mean to double post (screen went dark and I hit Post again). Yeah, I love PvP for the sheer awesomeness a few games provided me. For me, my last reall COOL PvP was in <Gasp!> Matrix Online, but simply because I had a great crew and we were all level 50's going at other 50's in what can only be described as pure MAYHEM. That and Tauren Mills for WoW, were great PvP moments.
    Age of Wushu had some cool PvP as well, simply because it's martial arts (along the lines of Matrix) - too bad the game itself had problems. In that game you had to be okay with ganking because it was open PvP.
    Edited by BluntedJ on April 2, 2014 7:06PM
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BluntedJ Oh I remember Matrix Online... for me it was another that game that could of been epic, but fell short. Lots of cool new innovative ideas in that game.