Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

Fix Ezabi's voice over.

GLP323b14_ESO
GLP323b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it's ever been mentioned, or if anyone besides me has noticed, but Ezabi's inflection when she says "No thief this one", is incorrect. It's bothered me for the last couple years since I had her, and now this one has finally gotten off his lazy butt to post this.

Anyway, it SOUNDS like Ezabi is calling ME the thief, when instead she ought to be exclaiming that she is not a thief. She says "No thief! This one!" which doesn't even make sense. This one what? It should sound more like "No thief this one." (without a pause).

I suspect the voice actress didn't understand Khajiti syntax, or perhaps the comma inserted there threw her off and it wasn't caught.
PC/NA @GP323
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always sounded like "No thief, this one." to me.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always sounded like "No thief, this one." to me.

To me as well. I never thought about any other meaning, personally.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ezabi was taking to someone else, the line 'no thief this one', could be ezabi referring to the player, or meaning the player, but as the line is directed to the player and noone else is there, the line must refer to ezabi. Especially as, 'this one' also means 'me'.
    Edited by Pelanora on November 21, 2023 11:27PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's not claiming she isn't a Thief, it sounds like she wants you to do business with her instead of another who may end up being a Thief. There's a pause in her wording, so its, "No thief, THIS one! Your things safer with Ezabi..."
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "No thief! This one!" which doesn't even make sense. This one what? It should sound more like "No thief this one." (without a pause).

I suspect the voice actress didn't understand Khajiti syntax, or perhaps the comma inserted there threw her off and it wasn't caught.

Second this! Honestly it grates every time I hear this line.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

Whitestrake’s Mayhem PSA: While battling through the Imperial City, don’t forget you can return to base quickly by queuing for a Cyrodiil campaign, then queuing back to IC!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's perfectly khajiit....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! This was brought up in a different thread and people were trying to say it's correct the way she says it. But it's not! It still bugs me when I hear it, I've always wanted them to change it.
  • GLP323b14_ESO
    GLP323b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes! This was brought up in a different thread and people were trying to say it's correct the way she says it. But it's not! It still bugs me when I hear it, I've always wanted them to change it.

It's absolutely wrong. The inflection of her voice sounds like the actress who did the voice for Ezabi thought the line was an accusation directed at the person Ezabi is talking to. No thief!

Then out of the blue, which you would think would have confused the actress.... This one!

But you can say that line... "No thief this one" in a way that a Kajitt would say it to mean "I'm not a thief" (This one is not a thief). I'm voicing it right now (this is where writing fails since you can't hear the right way to say it).

Until they fix it, I'll always be bugged by it.
    PC/NA @GP323
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right, it sounds like she's telling you to see her instead of a thief, rather than denying being a thief. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Voice acting mistakes happen, the base game has all kinds of small mistakes, mispronounciations and inconsistencies that were never fixed, likely because it's just not worth booking the VA to re-record a 10 second voiceover. I find it more amusing than annoying tbh.
    PC EU
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How I see it:

83t1m5c3u9dy.png
    Call me Mait
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's perfectly correct, the order of the two parts of the sentence is reversed like old English. 'This one' means 'me' obviously. It's just 'no thief am i'

"O, what a rogue and peasant slave am I!" Said hamlet....
    Edited by Pelanora on November 30, 2023 7:03AM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone here are making Khajiit more "exotic" than they are. Ezabi isn't Yoda, if she really was meaning to say SHE wasn't a Thief, then she'd say, "This one is no thief!". Just because they refer to themselves in 3rd person doesn't mean words get flipped around as well.

You also need to pay attention to what she says after. "Your things safer with Ezabi than in some stuffy vault." Ezabi is saying you should use her services over another's, claiming they're all Thieves.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I think everyone here are making Khajiit more "exotic" than they are. Ezabi isn't Yoda, if she really was meaning to say SHE wasn't a Thief, then she'd say, "This one is no thief!". Just because they refer to themselves in 3rd person doesn't mean words get flipped around as well.

You also need to pay attention to what she says after. "Your things safer with Ezabi than in some stuffy vault." Ezabi is saying you should use her services over another's, claiming they're all Thieves.

What op originally is referring to is still being spoken wrong by VA.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe so. Ezabi ever since she was available has been my Banker and I've listened to that line countless times and never thought of it as wrong. "No Thief, This One!" Meaning: Don't place your trust in others, do business with me.
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry I don't have any useful input to this thread aside from: I'm always amazed at how things I consider mundane are obviously worth remembering to some others.

I truly find it fascinating!

I'll say, I have zero idea who Ezabi even is. Kudos to those of you who do, and are able to add value to the topic! :)
    CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brakkish wrote: »
    I'm sorry I don't have any useful input to this thread aside from: I'm always amazed at how things I consider mundane are obviously worth remembering to some others.

I'll say, I have zero idea who Ezabi even is. Kudos to those of you who do, and are able to add value to the topic! :)

Ezabi is a banker assistant, one of the ones you can buy in the Crown Store so you can store your stuff even when you're not in a town. You can hear her voice lines (even if you don't have her yourself) by activating her when in a group with someone who has her out.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ezabi

ETA: I'll add that UESP has the rest of the dialogue, which adds some context: "No thief, this one. Your things, safer with Ezabi than in some stuffy vault." So the point is indeed that Ezabi is not a thief, and the unusual syntax (in which the verb "is/are" is supplied) is present in both lines.
    Edited by virtus753 on November 30, 2023 10:35PM
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭

virtus753 wrote: »
    Brakkish wrote: »

Ezabi is a banker assistant, one of the ones you can buy in the Crown Store so you can store your stuff even when you're not in a town. You can hear her voice lines (even if you don't have her yourself) by activating her when in a group with someone who has her out.

Oh yes!! I've seen this banker for quite some time.. lol it's now weird to me I've never noticed the name or knew it came with dialogue. I have Tythis

Thanks for the link! Once I saw the pic I knew immediately.

CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe so. Ezabi ever since she was available has been my Banker and I've listened to that line countless times and never thought of it as wrong. "No Thief, This One!" Meaning: Don't place your trust in others, do business with me.

Even if that were the the case, the VA is still speaking it wrong, lol. It doesn't even make sense for her to say that when you interact with her anyway. She's already your personal banker.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if that were the the case, the VA is still speaking it wrong, lol. It doesn't even make sense for her to say that when you interact with her anyway. She's already your personal banker.

Having her slotted as a Personal Banker doesn't stop you from using other Bankers, just like in the real world. I'm not seeing how your claiming the VA is speaking it wrong.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, it SOUNDS like Ezabi is calling ME the thief, when instead she ought to be exclaiming that she is not a thief. She says "No thief! This one!" which doesn't even make sense. This one what? It should sound more like "No thief this one." (without a pause).

I always took it as she is exclaiming she is NOT a thief.
    "This one" is her referring to herself. More common might be "This one is no thief!"
    But her reversal works fine too imo.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭

She's really not. It's perfectly normal if old fashioned English, with 'this one' instead of 'am I'

'No thief am i!', is perfectly fine.

"Oh, think not I am faithful to a vow!
    Faithless am I save to love's self alone.
    Were you not lovely I would leave you now:
    After the feet of beauty fly my own."
    Edited by Pelanora on December 3, 2023 4:55AM
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »

She's really not. It's perfectly normal if old fashioned English, with 'this one' instead of 'am I'

This is how the old thread ended up, people are not paying attention to how she is saying it. She wouldn't say" no thief, am I", which is how she is saying it! There should be no pause/comma if that's what ahe is saying...That's what is bothering people who notice it. Jfc.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    How I see it:

83t1m5c3u9dy.png

me too
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how the old thread ended up, people are not paying attention to how she is saying it. She wouldn't say" no thief, am I", which is how she is saying it! There should be no pause/comma if that's what ahe is saying...That's what is bothering people who notice it. Jfc.

....why does everyone insist she is saying SHE isn't a Thief? She's talking about other Vendors.

"No Thief! This One!"
    -> "Don't trust others, do business with me!"
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The pause doesn't make any difference. It doesn't change the meaning at all.

Faithless.....

....am I [this one]

.....save to love's self alone.

Same meaning.

"Why.....what an ass..........am I!

This is most brave,
    That I, the son of a dear father murder’d,
    Prompted to my revenge by heaven and hell"

Etc etc
    Edited by Pelanora on December 6, 2023 7:06AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of voice-acting inflections in the other games. For instance, in Oblivion the NPCs often say "Look at the muscles on you" but they put the emphasis on "muscles" which just seems weird to me. The emphasis should be on "you." Yet regardless of which voice actor says it, they all say it the weird way instead of the way that sounds most natural to me.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it sounds fine. I have never viewed it as wrong.
  • GLP323b14_ESO
    GLP323b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Precisely. It's the pause largely that throws off the presumed meaning of what Ezabi is saying which should translate as "I am not a thief." (so don't worry). But also the exclamation point thrown in when she says "No thief!" It really sounds like she's calling you a thief.

It should be more in one smooth sentence without a pause. "No thief this one." You can even put the emphasis on thief. Though it requires a certain inflection in your voice to sound right.

I seriously think the VA didn't understand Khajitti syntax when she voiced that line.

PC/NA @GP323
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pause

Doesn't

Change

The meaning
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd be nice if a Writer could just, pop in, and put this to bed.