The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dw v lightning- templar

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
Not played since the changes to passivs, does the lightning staffs come close now?
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Not played since the changes to passivs, does the lightning staffs come close now?

Not exactly completely close. DW still is superior because access to 2 traits and 2 enchants.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »

Yes it is close now and situational. I have higher tooltips with sharp lightning staff than with nirn/sharp maces.

Allows me to have ele sus on front bar which also makes it proc vateshran more fluid, heavy attacks for magicka and can have 1h/shield on backbar which allows me to use shield ultimate and have more defense compared to dw/ice staff.

Less spell damage, but all my healing is on backbar so don't feel difference, more constant damage with light attacks because its ranged and makes it faster to build ultimate.

Can't proc marselok because medium ha don't work with lightning staff, only one enchantment, less max spelldamge.

However I don't like dw/ice staff for cyrodiil when I am called in zone chat and getting chased by whole server in resource tower, shield ult makes it so much helpful in such situations so I am not a fan of ice staff, for dueling, battlegrounds yes, but for best survival when outnumbered no.

But thats my opinion, for my playstyle it works on my current build. I will switch to dw/1h shield again when I am bored. There is not a clear winner, depends on build and is situational.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, getting kills in Plar can be tough, so I build into execute. Finishing people off can be tough. That being said, staff buffs beam, and it’ll hit HARD. And against the people that know to bash beam, jabs can hit pretty hard as well with a staff. You lose the second enchant to proc a status effect, HOWEVER the status effect isn’t necessarily helping in execute. I find this to be more helpful than DW. DW may give you better over all numbers, but staff beats them for execute 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try finishing people off on a magwarden (no 2h or dw execute)

honestly radiant oppression seems like one of the most user-friendly executes in the game?
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok execute is good but what is execute if you can't reduce enemy health to this magic 50% hp because everyone is tanky as hell and templar damage in those 100-50% are not existed.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ Fair point.

You just need merciless resolve added to templar’s toolkit. 1 hit and your opponent is under 50% health.
  • Mansquito
    Mansquito
    ✭✭✭
    mmtaniac wrote: »
    Ok execute is good but what is execute if you can't reduce enemy health to this magic 50% hp because everyone is tanky as hell and templar damage in those 100-50% are not existed.

Don't wish to continue to sidetrack the OP but this is 100% accurate.

People complain about beam but it's useless if you can't get your opponent down to 50% health as the class spammanble does not put out enough pressure and the class ults don't do enough burst.

Beam is a zerg surfing tool, which has a delay and is single target. Its strength is completely exagerrated imo. It's good, not great, just good. Plenty of other classes have more than one or two good skills, Templar gets one and it's like 'nerf!!'.
    Edited by Mansquito on November 28, 2023 3:29PM
  • Y_so_Syrius
    Y_so_Syrius
    Soul Shriven
    I main plar and my experience for cyrodiil pvp (Zerging) lightning staff is probably the best choice as it gives you range aoe heavy attack plus chance to proc off balance and minor vulnerability also you can pair lightning staff with deadly strike set which will give you buffs to all direct damage, dots and channeled abilities, for small scale and X'ing I would run dw over lightning staff tho personally I prefer 2h/resto or you could be like 75% of the cyrodiil population and just run Vats/Masters and let zos do your damage for you lol
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @West93

you mentioned
    "I have higher tooltips with sharp lightning staff than with nirn/sharp maces."

Lightning has more pen now?

Or am I missing something

• West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    @West93

you mentioned
    "I have higher tooltips with sharp lightning staff than with nirn/sharp maces."

Lightning has more pen now?

Or am I missing something

Tooltips are damage that is read on skill, for example biting jabs 4400 damage that is tooltip. Lightning staff has less penetration than maces, but 12% damage increase makes up for it, its almost like deadly strike set but for almost all skills on templar (all skills on my bar buffed by lightning staff) burning light passive is buffed as well.

For most raw damage by stacking high spelldamage dw is slightly better, however ice staff on backbar is just inferior for defense compared to 1h shield if you play outnumbered.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My choice comes down to shattered fate or oders wrath front bar, deadly doesn't make sense for me on a rangeplar