Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Does Armor Type Effect Sneaking?

Hekx
Hekx
Just curious,totally makes sense that it would, but the only info I can find seems to be a bunch of players saying that it makes sense that the armor type effect you chances.
Just curious as I (like many) am thinking of making a THF Nightblade, and I'm just wondering if Heavy or Medium is the way to go (or light if that's the only way I can sneak/invis)
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't, at least in the way you are thinking.

It does, from a secondary nature, in that Medium Armor has skills that affect sneaking.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Medium armor will improve your sneaking ability, however light or heavy, will not hinder it.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Medium armor will help your sneaking around.. just not at first and not until you put skill points into it (2 to be exact).
  • strelnikov
    The passive skills can add to sneaking stealth detection from medium armor. It's is the 3rd passive you can open I believe.
    I am not sure how your level effects sneaking vs creatures either but I know distance can and creature type.
    You can see them trying to detect you, (there is a noticeable red flashing where they are actively seeking you).
    It also seems that line of sight has an effect as well, and for us nightblades stealth attacks are great fun.
  • Hekx
    Hekx
    Awesome, thanks all!
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fair warning at least as of yesterday sneaking damage bonus was almost none at all. I have not seen any mention if it is a bug or nerf but other than not being seen it is really worth sneaking for attacks anymore to get the bonus damage.

There are passives in some racials, I believe Nightblade and medium armor that all add to sneak in some way.
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you have the medium armor passive that affects detection range.