Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Armor and Names

Cjn2
Cjn2
Hello!

Just got a few questions about how to play.

first, I am a Sorceror, in other mmo's I can't wear medium/heavy armor when playing a ''mage'' but here I can. Why is that? And when playing a Sorceror, is it a must to wear light armor?

Second, is it possible to enable nameplates above player's heads? Now it's really confusing to see who's a player and who's not...

Thanks!

Sorry for my bad English.
  • Vlas
    Vlas
    ✭✭✭
    1) Because Elder Scrolls is about doing what you want.

2) No.
  • Talen
    Talen
    You can only turn on HP bars, no nameplates :(

For the armor, you can wear whatever you like, you can fulfill any role you wish with any class.

Generally,
    • If you focus on weaponskills (they all use Stamina (exception being the Staves) you want to go for medium armor since that benefits stamina the most.
    • If you want to focus on class skills or Staff skills (they use magicka) you should focus on light armor since light armor benefits magicka and its regeneration.
    • If you want to tank > heavy armor.

Now of course, you ar enot forced to one kind of armor, it's just helpful. You can play a full heavy caster sorcerer, thanks to softcaps, you can still be viable.

Good players don't complain, they adjust and improve.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    How you choose your armor type vastly depends on the playstyle you want to run, which can be pretty much anything. If you want to be a melee in your face sorceror, you can definitely do so, in which case you'd probably want to roll medium or heavy armor for the melee dps or mitigation bonuses. With your magicka based skills from the Sorc tree supplementing your melee damage. The possibilities are nearly endless :P
  • Cry_Wolfe
    Cry_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    1, look in skills (K) under armor for the perks for each type of armor, cloth is good for class skills spam. You can also mix and match armor types as well.

2, think the Tamriel Foundry addon might allow name plates? Either wayif the API allows it, there will be an addon for it.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Talen wrote: »
    Generally,
    • If you focus on weaponskills (they all use Stamina (exception being the Staves) you want to go for medium armor since that benefits stamina the most.
    • If you want to focus on class skills or Staff skills (they use magicka) you should focus on light armor since light armor benefits magicka and its regeneration.

Probably also worth pointing out that until you actually spend skill points on armour, there is no real difference in the white quality ones other than armour value. Of course you will level up more quickly by wearing more of the armour you want to eventually spend points on, but if you don't plan on doing that for a while, you may as well wear a mix.
  • Talen
    Talen
    Thete wrote: »
    Talen wrote: »
    Generally,

Probably also worth pointing out that until you actually spend skill points on armour, there is no real difference in the white quality ones other than armour value. Of course you will level up more quickly by wearing more of the armour you want to eventually spend points on, but if you don't plan on doing that for a while, you may as well wear a mix.

Good point, that's actually what I'm doing right now with my tanky templar. 5 heavy 1 medium and 1 light just to level it all a bit, obviously heavy levels the fastest.

But since we have such freedom, I'd like to have them all leveled up once I reach the max level. Then I can fulfill whatever role I need to after a quick respec :)
    Good players don't complain, they adjust and improve.