The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

No more sets. Please.

Ramzdonb16_ESO
Ramzdonb16_ESO
✭✭✭
I can't handle it anymore. The meta chasing, the millions of sets in my inventory. Why do we even need more sets?

I would love PVP to be set free and competitive.

The engine and mechanics for this game would be 10/10 for competitive PVP, this will bring a much bigger following also making the game incredibly accessible for any player. Making BGS worth playing for level 160 new players.

Creating a competitive ranked system and having tournaments will generate so much publicity and put ESO in the realms of COD and Overwatch but just ten times better because of the selection of skills.

META chasing is so boring, I don't want to farm sets anymore, ten years of set farming and I still have to farm new ones. Endless dungeon another load of sets to farm. Come on this is such a grind and so boring, the game is so good, it just needs balance in PVP to make it fun again.

• LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    you do not have to get all the sets.
    if META chasing is so boring then simply stop.

farm the sets you want to use because they seem like fun! the game is way less boring that way.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    you do not have to get all the sets.
    if META chasing is so boring then simply stop.

farm the sets you want to use because they seem like fun! the game is way less boring that way.

I do that but in PVP majority of them are useless, especially if you come up against someone in a meta build.

Edit: Also I am saying that I want a competitive game mode, not a random series of events that happen due to procs or even worse everyone wearing the same meta set.

Either have every set work as intended and have complete chaos on the battlefield or remove them entirely.
    Edited by Ramzdonb16_ESO on November 2, 2023 7:53PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no proc camp is a thing, though i would agree i would just advocate that all sets should be disabled in that campaign instead of it being a mess to figure out what does/does not work there
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    and put ESO in the realms of COD and Overwatch but just ten times better

😂 Let's not get carried away.
    PC NA
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

I agree with Ramzdonb16_ESO here. For a lot of players there comes a time when you grow out of CoD, Overwatch, Fortnite and games like that. ESO had the potential to be one of the greatest PvP games ever. But for some reason they wanted it to become a single player game. Focusing on new players.

I agree on not wanting to farm a million sets too. But i wouldn't get rid of them, just make it easier to get them. And a bigger inventory would be great. Especially when i am playing heal/support, my bag is always full.
  • baselesschart
    baselesschart
    ✭✭✭
    The complaint of having way too many sets in this game is not a new one, but it is one that will not get addressed in any way, and will only get worse.
    A fairly mediocre nightblade that occasionally kills people
  • Bluestin
    Bluestin
    ✭✭
    This game really does have a extremely large amount of equipment sets; some redundant because of Hybridization and others too weak/poorly balanced to realistically be used. In spite of all that, ceaselessly, they add more and more equipment sets.

I don't know if they will actually stop or slow down on adding more equipment sets. Instead they could put that attention and focus into the set design and bonuses of older equipment sets.

There's also the issue of how equipment sets overshadow class design and balance.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I think you're overexaggerating just how necessary it is to be in meta sets.

Are things like Dragons/Masters/Maarselok or Azureblight or Rush really good? Absolutely.

Does ZOS introduce meta shattering sets with relative frequency? Also yes.

But there's also a lot of crafted or overland sets that are easy to get and work excellently on just about any class. Order's Wrath, Clever Alchemist, Daedric Trickery, Dragon's Appetite, and Wretched Vitality can all be crafted and have all been meta or close to meta (depending on the patch) since their respective introductions. The gap between these sets and new meta sets that are introduced is miniscule, and depending on the build/playstyle, non-existent.

TL;DR: If you're upset about constantly having to "chase the meta" then don't. Craft a set of Order's and Wretched and you'll be able to hang with all the meta chasers for the foreseeable future.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on November 6, 2023 5:25PM
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion one solution would be to have a whitelist of sets which can be used in PvP environments. And a PvP vendor by which one can buy all these sets with AP. So people can actually play PvP to get the sets instead of going to PvE and there is also a certain control of what is allowed in PvP - in particular every allowed set should be checked very carefully on its impact.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as those ideas happen in a seperate campaign, I'd be fine. But don't turn this game fully upside down after 10 years. What you find appealing other do not.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

I agree with Ramzdonb16_ESO here...

Definitely agree if it were easier to farm and I had somewhere to put my 10 years of sets it wouldn't be as much of a chore.

Although I think only way to make it competitive would be to remove sets entirely.

• Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    no proc camp is a thing, though i would agree i would just advocate that all sets should be disabled in that campaign instead of it being a mess to figure out what does/does not work there

Yeah this would be great, they give you a balanced set so you aren't completely useless. No proc campaign in its current state is not fun as no one plays it, I think that would change rapidly without the need for sets.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I think you're overexaggerating just how necessary it is to be in meta sets.

TL;DR: If you're upset about constantly having to "chase the meta" then don't. Craft a set of Order's and Wretched and you'll be able to hang with all the meta chasers for the foreseeable future.

I do not believe I am, I have all of the sets you have mentioned and while playable you are in a serious disadvantage to the meta chasers. Meta chasers are smurfing at a ridiculous rate at the moment all using the same build, absolutely destroying anyone who has a normal build.

I have also used the current dot brainless meta, it is boring and very OP. Noobs melt away while good players melt slowly while chasing me around towers, most likely abandoning me as it's so boring.

Why do I want no sets? All of this nonsense is gone, immediately, we can have an actual rank that displays how good you are at the game. We can have tournaments and 4V4 BGs with leaderboards that mean something. We can have duels that mean something, not whoever got the better carry dueling set.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree wanting this for an MMO but ESO is by far the best combat system I have played in such a long while. Competitiveness is the only thing it is lacking and we won't get that with sets.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I do not believe I am, I have all of the sets you have mentioned and while playable you are in a serious disadvantage to the meta chasers. Meta chasers are smurfing at a ridiculous rate at the moment all using the same build, absolutely destroying anyone who has a normal build.

I have also used the current dot brainless meta, it is boring and very OP. Noobs melt away while good players melt slowly while chasing me around towers, most likely abandoning me as it's so boring.

Why do I want no sets? All of this nonsense is gone, immediately, we can have an actual rank that displays how good you are at the game. We can have tournaments and 4V4 BGs with leaderboards that mean something. We can have duels that mean something, not whoever got the better carry dueling set.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree wanting this for an MMO but ESO is by far the best combat system I have played in such a long while. Competitiveness is the only thing it is lacking and we won't get that with sets.

I can assure you those sets will not leave you at an extreme disadvantage to meta chasers. This might be a L2P issue. Those sets are all great (in fact, Order's, Dragon's, and Wretched are all meta sets currently).
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Wretched and orders are certainly not meta and you will crumble in them.

Dragons appetite yes it is the dot meta. Not the best one but it is a silly set.

Actually there are much better craftable sets that you’ve not even mentioned.

Either way you are missing the point, how can you have a competitive game with these variables?

Maybe I do need to leArN 2 pLaY because 10 years of experience clearly isn’t cutting it.

There was a time when basically every set worked and it was great. There was I time people even regarded me as the “the best DK” so I’d like to think I know what I am talking about.

I am struggling against dot meta against noobs and low cp smurfs that would otherwise melt away like everyone else.

Just because a set is craftable doesn’t mean I want to go and craft it to test if it works. I have more than 20 crafted sets now and I’ve had enough.

It’s a bit silly for you to say that these crafted sets are good because it doesn’t actually stop the problem of having to constantly farm sets that become useless pretty soon and a meta set that is broken will always be a problem.

Unless the flip side is that all sets work as intended and chaos ensues on the battlefield. Either one is fine for me, preferably the setless campaign with no room for excuses and only skill involved. #bringbackanicancelling
    Edited by Ramzdonb16_ESO on November 7, 2023 7:09PM
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New sets sell new chapters. End of discussion.

I agree with you though, OP. For me, the game would be 100 times more fun without them. Skills only. It’s a nice dream.
    Edited by SandandStars on November 8, 2023 12:53AM
  • Miracle19
    Miracle19
    ✭✭✭

I can assure you those sets will not leave you at an extreme disadvantage to meta chasers. This might be a L2P issue. Those sets are all great (in fact, Order's, Dragon's, and Wretched are all meta sets currently).

I thought oblivions foe was meta
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously anything that shows up on your death recap is always overperforming and is in need of sledgehammer nerfs.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that the number of sets that we have in this game is an issue that only gets amplified by the fact that not many really have the time to sit down and really hammer out a build that works for them. Like I said in another thread, that can take months and months. It’s just so much easier to look up the meta and slap on those sets. That can lead to some exhaustion though.

Obviously there are a ton of sets that are viable for the majority of this game, you truly don’t need top tier dps in the vast majority of it, just score board/leaderboard and HM pushers. I mean honestly if you are a tank and want to slap on let’s say Wyrd Tree and Alessia’s Bulwark, can that player tank a dungeon? Sure. Is it top tier for tanks? Hell no. Obviously, some sets suck but I am just saying that players need to stop meta chasing and just find a build that works for you for the content you want to do.

Example: I have a main dps build for PvE, but I also have a tankier PvE build for solo arenas, EA etc. I also have a PvP dps build and I have a group dungeon build. These haven’t changed a ton over the years honestly, except for the PvP builds lol. My PvE build for YEARS was Mothers Sorrow/Julianos. I only just changed it to Orders/Sorrow (My Arcanist does Deadly instead of Sorrow) and instead of Zaan I use Slimecraw.

Hopefully this new format ZOS has will calm down on sets we have. I mean it’s a lot… sticker book doesn’t include crafted sets so… just wow.
    Edited by OtarTheMad on November 8, 2023 7:52AM
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wretched and orders are certainly not meta and you will crumble in them.

Dragons appetite yes it is the dot meta. Not the best one but it is a silly set.

Wretched is the single best sustain set in the game right now and is used on tons of builds.
    Orders Wrath might not be the #1 meta set on any given class, but it is still a good choice basically no matter what you want to play.

The only other good craftable sets besides the ones mentioned that come to mind for me are Shattered Fate and Acuity and i wouldnt say either of those is necessarily better than the others.
    Either way you are missing the point, how can you have a competitive game with these variables?

With how unbalanced ESO is in most cases its pretty much impossible to have it actually competitive.
    If youre looking for seriously competitive PvP i would say ESO is not the place for that.
    Just because a set is craftable doesn’t mean I want to go and craft it to test if it works. I have more than 20 crafted sets now and I’ve had enough.

It’s a bit silly for you to say that these crafted sets are good because it doesn’t actually stop the problem of having to constantly farm sets that become useless pretty soon and a meta set that is broken will always be a problem.

Unless the flip side is that all sets work as intended and chaos ensues on the battlefield. Either one is fine for me, preferably the setless campaign with no room for excuses and only skill involved. #bringbackanicancelling

I do partly agree with this part. The balance changes to stuff in general should be smaller and the changes either making sets useless or completely overtuned instead of actually balanced is one of the biggest issues in ESO.

However, crafted sets are very easy to get. So if you dont want to spend ressources to get the crafted sets to test them, that is absolutely on you.
    Generally most of the strongest sets atm are pretty easy to get and dont require too much farming.
    So while the meta might not be very fun atm, complaining that the sets require too much work to get is just wrong.

PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game is built around sets, and to a minimal extent CP. Those are the only way you can change your build.

I agree with you though, OP. For me, the game would be 100 times more fun without them. Skills only. It’s a nice dream.

Umm, the entire game is based around customizing your character via sets.

No sets would be just as boring as everyone wearing the same meta sets.

No sets means I cannot create "anti-meta" builds that exploit the short comings of the meta builds.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    I think that the number of sets that we have in this game is an issue that only gets amplified

Hopefully this new format ZOS has will calm down on sets we have. I mean it’s a lot… sticker book doesn’t include crafted sets so… just wow.

Yeah PVE is irrelevant and sets need to stay because they are fun and it doesn't matter.

For PVP though where people think the game is competitive and meta push makes the game boring. Also would be nice to see a working ranking system to show skill in PVP, something that is not possible with sets.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »

However, crafted sets are very easy to get. So if you dont want to spend ressources to get the crafted sets to test them, that is absolutely on you.
    Generally most of the strongest sets atm are pretty easy to get and dont require too much farming.
    So while the meta might not be very fun atm, complaining that the sets require too much work to get is just wrong.

Yeah there are good sets but you still need to craft and carry them and then min max and a lot of other work that needs to change regularly to keep up with the META. Which is kinda the point I am making in I don't want to do that it's a big time sink and boring to me. I would like no sets so we can have a level playing field.

Yes ESO is impossible to be competitive in its current state, without sets however it would be very competitive. Also a lot more fun and a lot less work. I could see a massive increase of players coming to PVP without any barriers to entry.

Sets or farming them aren't really the issue (Asides from that last weapon in dungeons/trials) I have basically every set worth having, so I do have the META and all of the sets you mentioned. I just find it very boring to do, also a big time sink, time I could spend smashing skulls in Cyro or Imp City. Competitively.

Sorry I couldn't make my post look as pretty as yours.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    The game is built around sets, and to a minimal extent CP. Those are the only way you can change your build.

No sets means I cannot create "anti-meta" builds that exploit the short comings of the meta builds.

That's a very specific way to play and if you enjoy it great! I however cannot be bothered to create a new build to defeat a meta build. I just want to play. I want to log in, smash some faces in and rarely do some PVE or housing.

Imagine a game that was balanced so you knew exactly what you were trying to do. We could have different types of players Tank Healer Damage and the "sets" are customised to that so we don't have everyone doing the same thing with the same weapons.

I think lag would disappear too.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That's a very specific way to play and if you enjoy it great! I however cannot be bothered to create a new build to defeat a meta build. I just want to play. I want to log in, smash some faces in and rarely do some PVE or housing.

Imagine a game that was balanced so you knew exactly what you were trying to do. We could have different types of players Tank Healer Damage and the "sets" are customised to that so we don't have everyone doing the same thing with the same weapons.

I think lag would disappear too.

Lag would not be touched by removing sets - this was already tested when they changed a bunch of rules in Cyrodiil test campaigns. It was shown that reducing sets down to a handful of stat sets didn't affect the server's performance at all - if going from ~300 sets down to 20 didn't do anything then going from 20 to 0 won't do anything either.
  • Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I think lag would disappear too. [/quote]

Lag would not be touched by removing sets - this was already tested when they changed a bunch of rules in Cyrodiil test campaigns. It was shown that reducing sets down to a handful of stat sets didn't affect the server's performance at all - if going from ~300 sets down to 20 didn't do anything then going from 20 to 0 won't do anything either.[/quote]

Lag wasn't affected at all? I remember that, it was short lived and with the old useless servers.

You don't believe the delayed skills would be affected at all by stupid sets that pull or proc ridiculous effects?
    Edited by Ramzdonb16_ESO on November 8, 2023 6:20PM
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find not knowing what is considered 'meta' the best way to not be bothered by it.
    CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »

Yes, there are some crafted sets and some sets you can buy pretty cheap. But if you want to play in a coordinated group, you will have to farm dlc dungeons, new trials, get a few mythics and buy/farm some very expensive sets. You need new dlcs and eso+ and spend a long time farming sets while you actually just want to play pvp. Especially when your group wants to be flexible and able to invite new players (wearing the easy to get sets).

While it's a lot easier now with curated drops, it's still a lot of work to get all the sets you want to have as a supporter/healer for example. The sticker book and the ability to transmute gear is awesome, but you still have to farm the sets first. And that can take forever if you are not in an active PvE guild and have noone helping you. Some PvP players don't enjoy PvE anymore and it's a pain in the butt to play something so very boring over and over again, just to get a few set pieces.

Now you can say you don't want to play in coordinated groups, but Cyrodiil is still a warzone and we can't all be like Rambo and run around naked with nothing but a cheap knive in our hands.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I however cannot be bothered to create a new build to defeat a meta build. I just want to play. I want to log in, smash some faces in and rarely do some PVE or housing.

A PVE MMORPG with a side element of PVP is not really the right sort of game to match your expectations. ESO PVP is more like WoW PVP....you are going to need to grind levels, grind gear, and build for PVP. ESO is not a MOBA game. Just saying.

To be top end in ESO pvp, you really need play in a highly practiced, tuned, organized group. And more than likely the class, sets and skills you use will be dictated by the group. That is the "real" meta.

• Ramzdonb16_ESO
    Ramzdonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    quote="katorga;c-7989692"]The game is built around sets, and to a minimal extent CP. Those are the only way you can change your build.

A PVE MMORPG with a side element of PVP is not really the right sort of game to match your expectations. ESO PVP is more like WoW PVP....you are going to need to grind levels, grind gear, and build for PVP. ESO is not a MOBA game. Just saying.

To be top end in ESO pvp, you really need play in a highly practiced, tuned, organized group. And more than likely the class, sets and skills you use will be dictated by the group. That is the "real" meta.

I know that but it could be, it would also be a lot more fun and attract a lot more players with money who want to buy fancy outfits.

I wouldn't call that the meta personally, just cross heal abuse, more of an exploit. I find the sets barely even matter when you have 12 people with mutagen on.

Either way they are way less of a problem than aracanists and sorcs dotting you up and tanking away. Unless of course it's a whole group of them doing that then we really have an issue.

Edited by Ramzdonb16_ESO on November 9, 2023 6:21PM