Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Best way to run both servers?

mrinku
mrinku
I'm installed on the NA server, but want to run characters on both NA and EU servers. When I switch on the launcher, it starts a 22GB download to patch. I'm guessing a lot of this has to be localisation - is there any way to get around this?

Become slightly more important with NA being brought down at the moment.

Ta.
  • Vlas
    Vlas
    ✭✭✭
    It is due to some files in your game DIR somewhere.

I dont know where or what, but if you search the reddit ESO sub you will find the fixes.

Problem is, you will have to do it every time you switch over.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen people mention you can copy your Elder Scrolls Online folder, (keep in the zenimax folder) and relabel it Elder Scrolls Online EU. Then go into launcher and choose your megaserver. Click install, and then pause the download, go into game options and click repair. This is probably the easiest way I've seen to do it which was working for some people at some point in time.

Currently it does not work for me however.
  • mrinku
    mrinku
    Cool. I've already done the directory clone and rename just to play safe. I'll try the repair option. Let you know how it goes.
  • lissatygercub18_ESO
    I would like to know this as well. I have friends in both NA and Europe and I figured I could just have characters on both servers. I'd heard many times that we could freely switch between servers, so I was really surprised when it wanted me to re-download the whole thing. Seriously, we should not have to install the game twice just to play on different servers.
    Edited by lissatygercub18_ESO on April 2, 2014 9:25AM
  • mrinku
    mrinku
    Ahh... no dice. You don't get the repair option until it's installed, it seems.
  • PhamTrinli
    PhamTrinli
    ✭✭✭
    You could try just changing the following in your launcher.settings file
    (located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher\launcher.settings or whatever your path to the \Launcher\ folder is):

"region":"US","language":"en-us"
    change US and en-us to whatever your region and language are, then relaunch your launcher.

Not sure why switching this on the launcher would trigger the entire re-download of all game files.. should only need certain ones.
    Edited by PhamTrinli on April 2, 2014 9:39AM
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I avoid the pain and took the double-download 'hit', now I can switch using the Launcher settings.

It's pain, other games I play I can switch without having two installations.
  • mrinku
    mrinku
    Changing the launcher.settings manually made no difference than changing them through the launcher.
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    I am assuming that they want to be able to update the NA and EU megaservers at independent times. This would explain the need for separate client software copies.
  • mrinku
    mrinku
    Okay BIG WARNING!!!

Do NOT rename your original install directory to the other server one. Copy it by all means and rename it, but I just managed to see it deleted in the process of trying to switch servers.

It appears the ONLY safe way to have both installs at the moment is to download the client twice.

I'm still a but puzzled as to why copying the original install directory and renaming it doesn't work, though.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Swordmage wrote: »
    I am assuming that they want to be able to update the NA and EU megaservers at independent times. This would explain the need for separate client software copies.

That would be correct, most likely they will not take down both servers at the same time (each grouping has different prime times and they won't want to mess with that.

Also...definitely don't rename your original directory, else your launcher will be entirely confused :P
  • mrinku
    mrinku
    Fortunately for me I'd installed it on both my desktop and laptop and even have a copy of the install on the portable drive I used to copy it. So I'm out a 20 minute copy rather than a 30gb re-download...
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    (I saw no reason to make a new discussion for the same/related question)

So when you have both clients installed do you have to manually switch between them every time or can you have two desktop options, one for NA and another for EU? Also is it possible to play both servers in two different windows or will it kick you out of one if using the same account? I would assume two accounts can be played at once providing the launchers allow it.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Falkko
    Falkko
    I downloaded and installed the game twice, and still no dice. I got two folders, but the EU folder was exactly the same as the NA folder, and it launched me into the NA server. Somehow the Euro folder managed to delete itself too, as I played around with the launcher. Yippie.
    I have installed the game on the D Drive, not in c:\Programs, as I am out of room on that disk. There is no Zenimax folder. Would that make a difference?
    REally, it shouldn't be this difficult.