The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Server Maintenance on Day 1 :(

SkadiSnow
SkadiSnow
I got home from work this afternoon, hoping to get my first real taste of ESO only to find that the NA megaserver is down for maintenance. I understand that it has to happen sometime but in the first 24 hours?!? :(
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    There is more maintenance and server restarts during early access and launch than any other time period in the game's lifetime. Be prepared.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah!
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    This will NOT BE THE LAST!!! HUG YOUR KITTENS!!! BWAHAHAHAHA
    Bacon and Skyrim....but mostly bacon....and a lawnmower
  • Frosthawk
    Frosthawk
    ✭✭✭
    That server have been in use since last Sunday, hard to say why it takes rather long but its better to fix things than get even worse problems.
    Edited by Frosthawk on April 2, 2014 8:16AM
    EU - Adlmeri Dominion
    Sanquin's tester
  • Schmackei
    Schmackei
    ✭✭
    SkadiSnow wrote: »
    I understand that it has to happen sometime but in the first 24 hours?!? :(

It might be in the first 24 hours for you, and for that I am sorry to hear it. However, the game has been in pre-launch since the 30th, so there is quite possibly already more to resolve than anyone actually knows.

I hope to see you in game Skadi
    SCHMACKEI - < Drunken Baѕtards >
    - The Ebonheart Pact - US
    - Khajiit Nightblade
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've been on for three days.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    There is a thread with much better information here- http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/64370/server-maintenance-times/p9
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    It's a new MMO and you would expect this sort of thing to happen. In all fairness, the servers were down for only about an hour (a little less in fact I think). Hopefully, they will work towards managing downtime at more predictable times in future but, having experienced a number of new MMOs, I would say this one is being done very well so far.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    The timing is the only part that is bothering me. What are the odds in all creation that I get part of the night off from work and the game is randomly down. By all means maintain the game, but have the foresight to know when im going to be off of work! :P
    Ulyn Andrano

Ebonheart Pact
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try first 72 hours but yeah. Something came up they have to fix it these things happen. chill the F out.
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    Skjlvald wrote: »
    The timing is the only part that is bothering me. What are the odds in all creation that I get part of the night off from work and the game is randomly down. By all means maintain the game, but have the foresight to know when im going to be off of work! :P

I believe I posted the solution on another thread to this. The solution was that it would not be a problem at all if you were just unemployed
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, this is early release. To copy from another thread:
    Sarenia wrote:
    Right now they're in the final countdown. Early Release is basically a test run for final official release.

They've undoubtedly got a lot of people burning the candle at both ends around the clock with bug fixes, exploit fixes, forum adjustments, hardware adjustments, database optimization, etc, etc, etc.

It stinks. I finally got on today, 5 minutes before downtime started. But it's for a good cause: a better playing experience going forward.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main purpose for me on early release is to secure your name. The rest of this is more than expected.
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    Laura wrote: »
    The main purpose for me on early release is to secure your name. The rest of this is more than expected.

I totally agree. I wanted my name, and created my character, logged out and didn't play for 7 more hours.

• spidur
    spidur
    Soul Shriven
    Im in agreeance with fixing the game before it goes fully live. The game still technically isnt out, we are lucky to be playing early access. It does suck that the servers are down and we are missing out on game time, but If the game is better because of it, i say good :D
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol! Yes, this is the sole reason I bought early release. Well, that and I liked beta.

Usually my name isn't taken in games because it's obscure, but someone snatched it in beta strangely enough. So I knew I had to be fast! I even took screenshots of character creation settings so I could fly through creation faster.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Unmatched wrote: »
    Skjlvald wrote: »

I believe I posted the solution on another thread to this. The solution was that it would not be a problem at all if you were just unemployed

Crap so that's the solution all along? I feel...... so cheated!
    Ulyn Andrano

Ebonheart Pact
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »

Lol! Yes, this is the sole reason I bought early release. Well, that and I liked beta.

Usually my name isn't taken in games because it's obscure, but someone snatched it in beta strangely enough. So I knew I had to be fast! I even took screenshots of character creation settings so I could fly through creation faster.

My name is Unmatched. I KNEW I had to get the name on the right character the first time!
  • PhamTrinli
    PhamTrinli
    ✭✭✭
    Ya, it's disappointing but not surprising.
    What is kinda of surprising, to me at least, is the length of this 'maintenance': 4+ hours? Even if they had to reboot everything and replace hardware, it shouldn't be that long in most cases.
    Edited by PhamTrinli on April 2, 2014 9:05AM
  • Jitar
    Jitar
    Speaking of securing your name, is there a way to make your character before downloading the whole client? Thanks.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    So OP you rather have bugs unfixed, and a lot players unhappy, just to be able to play...Very selfish, and i can tell you that first few days emergency maintenance/server down for patch will be happening VERY often. And it is great, they care about game and trying to improve things.
    Just find something else to do for few hours, not that hard i guess?
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    Mortuum wrote: »
    So OP you rather have bugs unfixed, and a lot players unhappy, just to be able to play...Very selfish, and i can tell you that first few days emergency maintenance/server down for patch will be happening VERY often. And it is great, they care about game and trying to improve things.
    Just find something else to do for few hours, not that hard i guess?

Surfing a thread or 2 come to mind.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitar wrote: »
    Speaking of securing your name, is there a way to make your character before downloading the whole client? Thanks.

I'm afraid not :(
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    They can bring the servers down as they wish in my opinion. If the servers come down, that means they're fixing stuff. If they're fixing stuff, that makes me happy.

These guys must be working around the clock right now.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't day 1.
    Day 1 was half a week ago...
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Qutayba
    Qutayba
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, this has been one of the smoothest MMO releases I've seen in terms of server stability. Yeah, there were some big bugs in quests, but the technology side of things have seemed to be working great.