Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Kelesan'ruhn Vs. Tel Galen and Dunmer Houses in General

Shagreth
Shagreth
✭✭✭✭✭
Which one is the best Telvanni Themed House in ESO currently and why? Curious to hear people's thoughts on this. As a Dunmer, I will forever love Ald Velothi and Lake Amaya and whenever I feel too nostalgic, I go to Ebonheart Chateau for that OG oppressive atmosphere from TES3. As for Kalesan'ruhn and Tel Galen, I really can't make my mind, but I'm leaning towards Kalesan'ruhn.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why 300 dunmer houses and companions and dlc and chapters and dunmer funmer dunmer dunmer dunmer.

NO BOSMER DLC

ONE ALTMER DLC.

Less altmer houses NO bosmer houses. No bosmer companions no altmer companions.

Dunmer based crates and cosmetics and houses and costumes and dunmer dunmer dunmer dunmer dunmer omgggg so much dunmerrrrrr..

This game absolutely milks the lore and worldbuilding of the morrowind fan base.

So unbalanced on which races are favored in TES games lore and content.

Also kelesahn is better then tel galen.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why 300 dunmer houses and companions and dlc and chapters and dunmer funmer dunmer dunmer dunmer.

NO BOSMER DLC

ONE ALTMER DLC.

The entire covenant has received 2 dlcs in 10 years and not a single dlc house that can be purchased for gold.
    But a ton of houses that can only be purchased for crowns at horrendous prices.

The covenants housing situation looks as awfully unaffordable as the american one and my alliace apparently quite unattractive when it comes to rewards. At least Altmer got the Alinor Townhouse with summerset.

Bosmer got nothing apart from 2 additional motif styles. I really hope they are treated to a proper dlc first and our redguards, orcs and bretons to an affordable house in return for almost a decade of playtime.
    Edited by NoticeMeArkay on October 9, 2023 10:25PM
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erm. Kajit have the most houses im pretty sure. And the most dlcs are skyrim related from what i recall. Isnt miri the only dark elf companion?
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i think tel galen is the better telvanni house, and i like that it has docks.
    though i like that Kelesan'ruhn has necrom architecture too.

Erm. Kajit have the most houses im pretty sure. And the most dlcs are skyrim related from what i recall. Isnt miri the only dark elf companion?

yea mirri is the only dunmeri companion.

spoilered for house and dlc stuff
    i believe any home only available for crowns or located in a dlc zone counts as a dlc home.

khajiit and dunmer both have six dlc homes though.

for khajiit
    moonsugar meadow, sugar bowl inn, hall of the lunar champion, jodes embrace, potentate's retreat, lucky cat's landing.
    unless you count sweetwater cascades as a khajiit home too then it's seven.

and for dunmer
    Kelesan'ruhn, tel galen, velothi harbor, vivec inn, amaya lake lodge, necrom inn.
    though maybe you could count clockwork Orbservatory as dunmeri since it's made by Sotha Sil?

five imperial dlc homes(six if you count strident springs which i guess works because purchasing it for gold requires having the imperial edition).
    sweetwater cascades, water's edge, leyawiin inn, linchal manor, pantherfang chapel.
    snow globe too? not sure if it counts as any culture's house as it's a magic miniature house in a snow globe but it's the same lighthouse as in anvil.

five breton dlc homes,
    gonfalon bay inn, highhallow hold, and fogbreak lighthouse, fair winds, and gladesong arboretum.

four nord dlc homes,
    proudspire manor, solitude inn, hakkvilds hall, shalidor's realm.
    stillwater retreat and frostvault chasm are in skyrim, but they're dwemer.
    and stone eagle aerie is reachfolk.

three altmer dlc homes,
    alinor inn, aldmeri grotto, alinor crest.
    maybe Shadow Queen's Labyrinth but it's in Evergloam and the only altmeri thing about it is the architecture. however you could then count Ossa Accentium as imperial or redguard because of the furniture used in that.

two redguard dlc homes,
    dawnlight palace and thieves oasis.

two orsimer dlc homes,
    forgemasters falls and pariah's pinnacle.

and of course ;( zero bosmer dlc homes(plus the base game ones are just snugpod 1,2,3).

and there's only two skyrim(one nord and the other reachfolk) dlc zones.
    same as elsweyr/khajiit, morrowind/dunmer, cyrodiil/imperial, black marsh/argonian, and bretons.

altmer, redguards, and orsimer have one each.
    and bosmer zero.

miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy, seems I attracted a different kind of audience. It makes total sense for them to do this, It's easier, there are tons of Dunmer fans plus cool lore. Bosmer lore is largely uninteresting & unrealized, but I'm sure a Falinesti Expansion is coming though, just trust me on that, it was the only bit of lore that piqued my interest after going through the zones.

It works for me, grew up playing Morrowind, so. Dunmer master race. :smile:

But yeah, Bosmer need something, anything.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tel Galen is in a beautiful location, and the tower design is cool. I admit I’m getting used to the fleshy color and it doesn’t bother me as much anymore. For the price though, it just doesn’t have very much space.

I would have voted for the new house (sorry too hard to spell correctly) even though it is small, but the preview looked like it would be great. As soon as I tried to put down a large Necrom rug I found both parts of the house are mostly hallways and not a lot of usable floor space. I hope I can work something out.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• chuck-18_ESO
    chuck-18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tel Galen is a more classic Telvanni Magister's home. It's imposing, spacious, and easy to set multiple scenes in without wasting slots on walls and doors.

Kelesan'ruhn is a lot more niche, you only really have two large open spaces to work with, so it fits a humbler and cozier build.

I really like both houses, but if I were making a Telvanni character, I'd want them in Tel Galen.
    The Exclusionary Mandates of Maruhkite Selection: All Are Equal

1: That the Supreme Spirit Akatosh is of unitary essence, as proven by the monolinearity of Time.
    1: That Shezarr the missing sibling is Singularly Misplaced and therefore Doubly Venerated.
    1: That the protean substrate that informs all denial of (1) is the Aldmeri Taint.
    1: That the Prophet Most Simian demonstrated that monothought begets Proper-Life.
    1: That the purpose of Proper-Life is the Expungement of the Taint.
    1: That the Arc of Time provides the mortal theater for the Sacred Expungement.
    1: That Akatosh is Time is Proper-Life is Taint-Death.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tel Galen looks like a fleshy tumor. I loved the mushroom towers in Morrowind but Tel Galen does not look like a mushroom.

Kelesan'ruhn is much more aesthetically pleasing but it has no nearby wayshrine which irks me. Daggerfall Overlook has the same problem.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Velothi Reverie. Modest size, has a yard, near a wayshrine. A complete set of crafting stations fits in the cellar, and the other floors are cozy. That size house has the best slots/space ratio, so you clutter nicely.

The new one is similar in size, but far from a wayshrine, and some of the interior is hard to furnish.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys realise, that you can teleport to any house?
    FOR FREE?
    If anyone here says: OH! But, PVP! I swear I'll ...

Thank you for the valuable input and respectfully recommend to discuss that aspect of ESO on the PVP forum.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys realise, that you can teleport to any house?
    FOR FREE?
    The problem is getting out of it. Some people (including me) feel it's more immersive to move out of your house and take a wayshrine, it's not so much about the cost, but of course it helps with that too.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh. So instead of teleporting outside a house that is next to a wayshrine, you want to run yourselves?
    Seems unnecessary. But hey. Immersion is important, too.

By the way, Tel Galen is best.
    If anyone here says: OH! But, PVP! I swear I'll ...

Thank you for the valuable input and respectfully recommend to discuss that aspect of ESO on the PVP forum.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shagreth wrote: »
    Which one is the best Telvanni Themed House in ESO currently and why? Curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

As for Kalesan'ruhn and Tel Galen, I really can't make my mind, but I'm leaning towards Kalesan'ruhn.

Telvanni themed? Tel Galen, of course. It is really the Telvanni house. Kelesan'ruhn is just Telvanni-style. :smile:

I use my Kelesan'ruhn main room as a showcase for my trophies. The niches on the walls are perfect for displaying the heads of my deceased foes. :smile: That makes it better than Tel Galen, which has a lot more 'schroomage that needs to be worked around.

I am not a fan of the doors that they put in these houses. It seems silly to section off a single room from the main room with a space transition door that can't even be opened while in housing edit mode. I get that ESO has limitations in how it can handle these interior spaces, but they could have at least made it so that we could move through them in edit mode. :neutral:

Kelesan'ruhn isn't too bad, but Tel Galen has a bunch of tiny 'schroom-filled rooms linked by doors. Meh.

Edited by Elsonso on October 14, 2023 2:14PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer rightly have many houses because they have so many distinctive styles — and yet we still don’t have a townhouse in Balmora or a house made from a shell or exoskeleton or a plot that would be suitable for Ashlander dwellings! But I also agree that there are other races that need more houses and furnishing types, such as the Bosmer, for which a notable treehouse would be quite fitting. :)

As to the OP’s question, definitely Tel Galen, as it’s the iconic Telvanni wizard’s tower in ESO (not TES III Telvanni wizard, but you’d have to do a major custom build to create that and then deal with the absence of levitation magic…)

I feel like Kelesan’ruhn requires interpretation and then modification by the player — or at least to me it doesn’t make sense to have a portal between two buildings right next to each other with accessible doors, so I think I’ll block off the workshop door so the portal makes sense to me. I see it as a house/library plus workshop for one of my arcanists.

Of the basegame Dunmer homes, I like Velothi Reverie and Kragenhome and tried to recreate the feel of a TES III cornerclub in the latter. Now I just need a grumpy Dunmer houseguest to growl “Outlander”, but I’ll settle for Ashur. ;)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 15, 2023 5:41PM
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer rightly have many houses because they have so many distinctive styles — and yet we still don’t have a townhouse in Balmora or a house made from a shell or exoskeleton or a plot that would be suitable for Ashlander dwellings! But I also agree that there are other races that need more houses and furnishing types, such as the Bosmer, for which a notable treehouse would be quite fitting. :)

As to the OP’s question, definitely Tel Galen, as it’s the iconic Telvanni wizard’s tower in ESO (not TES III Telvanni wizard, but you’d have to do a major custom build to create that and then deal with the absence of levitation magic…)

I feel like Kelesan’ruhn requires interpretation and then modification by the player — or at least to me it doesn’t make sense to have a portal between to buildings right next to each other with accessible doors, so I think I’ll block off the workshop door so the portal makes sense to me. I see it as a house/library plus workshop for one of my arcanists.

Of the basegame Dunmer homes, I like Velothi Reverie and Kragenhome and tried to recreate the feel of a TES III cornerclub. Now I just need a grumpy Dunmer houseguest to growl “Outlander”, but I’ll settle for Ashur. ;)
    Can't have enough houses as a Dark Elf. I wanted a small & cozy house in Seyda Neen or Balmora for years. @ZOS_Bill Not too late to add them. :P

A little surprised so many people are picking Tel Galen over Kelesan'ruhn, personally - I am starting to like the latter more.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them both, haven't spent enough time or gold decorating Kelesanruhn yet though and never seen it fully decorated yet. I think they are both beautiful in their own way.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely prefer Tel Galen as a dunmeri wizard dwelling. New house is nice in it's own way, but kinda lacks in space and layout imo.
  • Ienaore
    Ienaore
    ✭✭
    Kelesan'ruhn needs a light environment rework. There is no day/night differences indoor, and it is way too much light for a house with not a lot of windows (no windows at all in the Telvanni side). Missing a bit on natural lighting there.

ZOS, you got sloppy.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ienaore wrote: »
    Kelesan'ruhn needs a light environment rework. There is no day/night differences indoor, and it is way too much light for a house with not a lot of windows (no windows at all in the Telvanni side). Missing a bit on natural lighting there.

ZOS, you got sloppy.
    Didn't notice the thing with the light, that's unfortunate. It's a problem I've noticed, there are inconsistencies, like some homes have indoor weather sounds, some don't and the list goes on. Housing is quite big in this game and the endgame for many, it would be nice if they showed some more care and generally let us do more things in our houses. (i.e. gardening and the like)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS, you got sloppy.

Without windows, it makes sense for little to no day/night difference indoors, and the ESO Telvanni style seems to include few windows, so I thought it seemed appropriate.

I also didn’t have a problem with ambient light levels, but I don’t set my brightness too high either as I like dark areas to be dark (not saying you do, but I’ve seen others’ Streams and screenshots which would indicate they use brightness settings higher than I do).

It would be a wonderful addition to be able to adjust ambient light levels in housing beyond time-of-day (which doesn’t always work as expected for me) so people could adjust this to their preference and purpose. :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 16, 2023 9:43PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

ZOS, you got sloppy.

I am completely alright with this. I am tired of pitch-dark houses like the ones in the base game that take dozens of lights to be able to see any furnishings.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DivineKitty
    DivineKitty
    ✭✭✭
    My only problem with Kelesan'ruhn is that one of the 2 rooms has a stairway right in the centre of the room (Not even at the back, dead-centre, in front of the portal) that only leads to a uselessly small balcony. Such a waste of space ina room that would otherwise be perfect.

Maybe ZOS needs to hire an actual interior design expert for houses in future, because this just seems like the most obviously misplaced set of stairs i've ever seen.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My only problem with Kelesan'ruhn is that one of the 2 rooms has a stairway right in the centre of the room (Not even at the back, dead-centre, in front of the portal) that only leads to a uselessly small balcony. Such a waste of space ina room that would otherwise be perfect.

Maybe ZOS needs to hire an actual interior design expert for houses in future, because this just seems like the most obviously misplaced set of stairs i've ever seen.

The first room looks like it’s been repurposed from some of the Vvardenfell structures like the Tribunal Temple in Gnisis.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly? If it wasn't for the 700 item limit, I would've rather had the lower floor of Kelesan'ruhn be a lower floor of Tel Galen, which I wish had at least one more floor or a bigger second floor for it's size.

Overall, however, I prefer Tel Galen over Kelesan'ruhn. The mix of Necrom and Telvanni architecture between the two floors messes with my OCD. That and Tel Galen (despite the criticism towards the fungal textures) is the more well-designed house. I'm not the biggest fan of Kelesan'ruhn's layout overall. It's not bad as a Telvanni retreat that feels like a Telvanni-themed Velothi tower. And it's certainly not a bad design as far as house designs in ESO go. It's just not my preference, personally.

Whereas Tel Galen, imo, is one of the best-designed homes in the game! That MIGHT be a hot take. But between the outdoor area with a dock and the interior with multiple rooms, AND the fact that it's not too big for a manor house that the item limit feels limiting, I absolutely prefer Tel Galen.
  • ThelerisTelvanni
    ThelerisTelvanni
    ✭✭✭
    Tel Galen sadly can not compare to all the Telvanni Towers of TES III Morrowind or Tel Mithryn from the TES V Skyrims Drangoborn DLC.

Tel Uvirith from the TES III Morrowind far outshines Tel Galen.

The mushroom structure is kind of low res and does not have the right feel. It feels more like flesh or something else. The Velothi stown Towers the Telvanni Towers are based on in TESO took me some time to get used to but I came to like them. But the mushroom structure itself needs a rework.

That aside the leyout of Tel Galen is ok but far from perfect. I miss a dungeon and a better way use the rooms. Some bigger crafting room is totally missing.

Kelesan'ruhn on the other hand is also problematic when it comes to the rooms. You only have 2 rooms. One is the perfect fit for a laboratory and workshop. The other as a reception room for guests. But I miss a propper living quaters section.

Kelesan'ruhn also suffers from the problem with the mushroom structures. But not as badly as Tel Galen.

Despite having 2 Telvani homes at our disposel I honestly still need a better one.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite having 2 Telvani homes at our disposel I honestly still need a better one.
    They really messed up a few iconic Morrowind/Dunmer stuff, didn't they? And it was not by ignorance, they meant to change them. But anyway, Bethesda itself, let alone Zeni, has been trying NOT to make Morrowind again for the past 20 years or so, if that makes sense. Everything that made Morrowind great has all but vanished.