Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

If you could set the prices in the crown store, what would you consider fair...or fairer anyway?

• Aka_
    Aka_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly, houses' prices are indicative that the crowns are much, much too expensive. They shouldn't cost a whole game to purchase, period.
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    Aka_ wrote: »
    Truly, houses' prices are indicative that the crowns are much, much too expensive. They shouldn't cost a whole game to purchase, period.

This is a super good point! Some of the best houses are the cost of TWO games even if you're going by the standard AAA price of $60/$70 USD. :scream:
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Some honest feedback in this thread. Not a lot of people like the hold on gifting, you probably know this. But while its on hold can you please pass on to the crown store team that now is a good time to review pricing? since gifting is gone it would be a good time to track what is bought and sold at what prices and compare it to when gifting was a thing. See what is now selling and what isn't since players have to buy their own stuff.

I honestly feel that one of to things should be happening. Either the value that you pay for crowns drops, or how much is spent in the store does. but, many of us feel a change is needed. Especially regarding houses. We understand that it takes a lot of effort to create these masterpieces, but surely we shouldn't be expected to pay more than what it costs to get the collectors edition of each chapter.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trobaka wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »
    The player base as a whole makes the ultimate decision. Not Zenimax.

Pricing comes down to trying to figure out the price to maximize revenue and profit. Price an item too high and it will not sell or not sell much. If the price is too low and the additional units sold do not make up for the lost revenue overall.

All of this is very basic economics and I am pretty certain Zenimax has some pretty sharp people who are well educated in economics and marketing. At the end of the day, the Zenimax bank account says whether the items are priced right or not. That is where the final answer is.

I highly doubt that.

And calling your point of view "economic reality" or "facts", while extremely oversimplifying complex topics, doesn't make you right. People like that making important decisions is one of the biggest problems with this game and the gaming industry in general.

It is economics and I find it odd that someone would doubt that a company that recently sold for $7.5 billion would have well-educated business professionals on their payroll. This was not a company that was owned by thousands of investors but a small group of owners who reaped that $7.5 billion return.

It seems they knew what they were doing but we are all entitled to our own opinions.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kah wrote: »
    I would consider fair what the market will bear just as it works in every other aspect of business.

Anyone who buys an in-game home for $100+ is fully accepting that price tag. If Zenimax were not able to sell enough homes at that value they would be reducing the price and maybe offering less of the very large homes.

That is how businesses work.

Mmm. Fair was perhaps the incorrect word. I mean more what are the players/consumers willing to pay, or what would they consider a good value for their money? I understand that ZOS makes the ultimate decision here and always will and that they charge what they charge currently because there are players willing to pay.

Pricing comes down to trying to figure out the price to maximize revenue and profit. Price an item too high and it will not sell or not sell much. If the price is too low and the additional units sold do not make up for the lost revenue overall.

All of this is very basic economics and I am pretty certain Zenimax has some pretty sharp people who are well educated in economics and marketing. At the end of the day, the Zenimax bank account says whether the items are priced right or not. That is where the final answer is.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me? Zenimax definitely gets some say on how they set THEIR prices. Yes, I get that what most players are willing to pay factors into that consideration ... as I understand economics just fine. The whole point of this thread was to get a feel for the price points players feel they're getting the best value. Housing was my example, and several others have brought up great points about the price of expansions and other items.

It's not like I expect Zenimax to look at this and be like, "Oh, that's the price they want!" and set it. It just feels relevant to the current issues, and I know I'm not the only one unhappy with the prices--and not just unhappy, because who really cares if we're happy?, but unwilling to pay the current prices. Thus why the crown gifting ban is being poorly received by many.

I am not arguing. I am merely pointing out the economic reality of the pricing. I will note that there are threads on the gifting ban that have received a lot of posting. If pricing was a big issue I expect this thread will receive similar attention.

Creating such a thread is asking for a discussion on the matter.

Have a good day.

The purpose of this thread was simply to discuss the hypothetical: what do players feel would be a good value for their money in regards to crown items? Telling me I don't understand economics or that this can't be valid because it's not as long a thread as others on the crown ban is not very helpful or relevant to the question posed. If you don't want to speculate because you feel it's a waste of time, that's cool, but please just move along.

The OP statement was very specific in stating this and even provided an example of what they wanted prices to be. That seems to be far from the purpose of simply being hypothetical.

All I did was bring some realities into the discussion. Since the price points have held up over time it seems Zenimax is finding they sell very well at those prices.

• Amethyst_Unearthed
    Amethyst_Unearthed
    ✭✭✭
    i know im happy you cant gift in game anymore, i hope its one step forward to getting rid of the crown store, we dont need it IMO. The prices are too much, 1 home cost me a full 2 weeks grocery order.... its shameful

XBOX ONE PLAYER
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    I would consider fair what the market will bear just as it works in every other aspect of business.

Anyone who buys an in-game home for $100+ is fully accepting that price tag. If Zenimax were not able to sell enough homes at that value they would be reducing the price and maybe offering less of the very large homes.

Mmm. Fair was perhaps the incorrect word. I mean more what are the players/consumers willing to pay, or what would they consider a good value for their money? I understand that ZOS makes the ultimate decision here and always will and that they charge what they charge currently because there are players willing to pay.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me? Zenimax definitely gets some say on how they set THEIR prices. Yes, I get that what most players are willing to pay factors into that consideration ... as I understand economics just fine. The whole point of this thread was to get a feel for the price points players feel they're getting the best value. Housing was my example, and several others have brought up great points about the price of expansions and other items.

It's not like I expect Zenimax to look at this and be like, "Oh, that's the price they want!" and set it. It just feels relevant to the current issues, and I know I'm not the only one unhappy with the prices--and not just unhappy, because who really cares if we're happy?, but unwilling to pay the current prices. Thus why the crown gifting ban is being poorly received by many.

I am not arguing. I am merely pointing out the economic reality of the pricing. I will note that there are threads on the gifting ban that have received a lot of posting. If pricing was a big issue I expect this thread will receive similar attention.

Have a good day.

The purpose of this thread was simply to discuss the hypothetical: what do players feel would be a good value for their money in regards to crown items? Telling me I don't understand economics or that this can't be valid because it's not as long a thread as others on the crown ban is not very helpful or relevant to the question posed. If you don't want to speculate because you feel it's a waste of time, that's cool, but please just move along.

The OP statement was very specific in stating this and even provided an example of what they wanted prices to be. That seems to be far from the purpose of simply being hypothetical.

All I did was bring some realities into the discussion. Since the price points have held up over time it seems Zenimax is finding they sell very well at those prices.

Uh, I'm OP, so yes, that is EXACTLY what I meant.

Admittedly, I wish I had phrased it differently in the original post, but I've clarified SEVERAL times and many others seem to be on the same page. Again, if you don't feel this is a valuable discussion, please move along. I don't feel you've been "bringing some realities into the discussion" but rather speaking down to everyone.
    Edited by kah on September 4, 2023 3:44PM
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    i know im happy you cant gift in game anymore, i hope its one step forward to getting rid of the crown store, we dont need it IMO. The prices are too much, 1 home cost me a full 2 weeks grocery order.... its shameful

Huh, you know, since they disabled gifting, I don't even look at the crown store anymore. I hope you're right about it being a step, however unintentional, forward.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Last time I bought crowns they were $40 US for the biggest pack. Now they are more than double that on sale.

The focus on the crown store has not been beneficial to the game from the players perspective.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I highly doubt that.

And calling your point of view "economic reality" or "facts", while extremely oversimplifying complex topics, doesn't make you right. People like that making important decisions is one of the biggest problems with this game and the gaming industry in general.

It is economics and I find it odd that someone would doubt that a company that recently sold for $7.5 billion would have well-educated business professionals on their payroll. This was not a company that was owned by thousands of investors but a small group of owners who reaped that $7.5 billion return.

It seems they knew what they were doing but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

The big mystery is why the ZOS business model is still what it is given that it's not the original 8 share holders anymore.
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I bought crowns they were $40 US for the biggest pack. Now they are more than double that on sale.

The focus on the crown store has not been beneficial to the game from the players perspective.

Gosh, there was a time it was around $40? I've been playing for maybe three years now and that big pack's always been like $90 USD on sale. I also joined just after they stopped giving big houses away as event rewards; I've lived, until recently, in eternal hope that we'd get one with an expansion. :cry:
    Edited by kah on September 4, 2023 3:36PM
  • Susan_Sto
    Susan_Sto
    ✭✭✭

The big mystery is why the ZOS business model is still what it is given that it's not the original 8 share holders anymore.

That's basic business practices, all companies set a target of "increase cash flow ##% for the quarter/ year". If your not getting year on year growth your failing and this affects personnel bonuses and performance reviews.

It simply the rules of the game.

If ZOS cannot increase revenue through subs and new players they have to get it through the crown store.

This comment is not in support just an observation.

I would slash crown prices by at least half for most items. Most items in the store do not need to be more than 1k.
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    Susan_Sto wrote: »

That's basic business practices, all companies set a target of "increase cash flow ##% for the quarter/ year". If your not getting year on year growth your failing and this affects personnel bonuses and performance reviews.

It simply the rules of the game.

If ZOS cannot increase revenue through subs and new players they have to get it through the crown store.

This comment is not in support just an observation.

I would slash crown prices by at least half for most items. Most items in the store do not need to be more than 1k.

Sadly, they gotta see that growth or the powers-that-be don't believe it's a "successful" venture. I just hope they realize that there's a point where you can push growth too far and end up with nothing at all.

Honestly, as of late, I've had more fun discussing things in the forum than actually playing the game. :grimace:
    Edited by kah on September 4, 2023 4:54PM
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is no Crown Store, are you willing to return to the pre-Tamriel Unlimited days? Because back then you had to buy-and-subscribe to play the game (for consoles, it would be buy-and-double-subscribe).
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Have a good day.

Uh, I'm OP, so yes, that is EXACTLY what I meant.

Admittedly, I wish I had phrased it differently in the original post, but I've clarified SEVERAL times and many others seem to be on the same page. Again, if you don't feel this is a valuable discussion, please move along. I don't feel you've been "bringing some realities into the discussion" but rather speaking down to everyone.

and starting a discussion in the forums is inviting people to post their thoughts even if they run counter to what is desired or even inconvenient. That is an implied request when starting a discussion here. Thank you for creating this discussion.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I highly doubt that.

Probably because it has been successful. And it would not make very solid business sense for MS to reduce revenue. Someone would be losing their job if they made such a poor business decision. The 86k+ owners that are currently involved demand one thing. Profit.

• kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    ANYWAY, another price I've discussed recently that is also superrrrr high is the $40 USD mundus stones which are almost considered necessary in order to "complete" a guild hall. That's real close to the price of a AAA game, as previously mentioned, and the cost of the whole set is the same price as a MINDBOGGLING amount of games.

Not to mention, it's
    $150 USD for a set of assistants (banker, merchant, and deconstructer)
    $60 USD for a trial training dummy

Whew, it really hurts when you start examining the prices in the crown store.
    Edited by kah on September 5, 2023 3:11PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ANYWAY, another price I've discussed recently that is also superrrrr high is the $40 USD mundus stones which are almost considered necessary in order to "complete" a guild hall. That's real close to the price of a AAA game, as previously mentioned, and the cost of the whole set is the same price as a MINDBOGGLING amount of games.

Not to mention, it's

I did not pay anywhere near that much for my assistants.

My math must be off. Each of the assistants (banker, merchant, and deconstructer) cost 5k crowns when paying full price. WIth the 21k crown packages costing $149.99 that comes out to $107.14 for the three assistants. Almost $43 less than what is being claimed. I am a stickler for accuracy on such matters.

After making that purchase we still have 6k crowns remaining to buy the Iron Atronach Trial Dummy.

That means the entire purchase of assistants and the trial dummy that is listed above totaling $210 is only 149.99

That is not all. Crowns go on sale multiple times a year. That 21k crown package costs $90 when on sale (Hope I calculated that correctly) So all three assistants and the atronach target dummy can be purchased for the low price of 90 USD.

I note the sale because it is better to plan ahead than to pay full price. Especially for anyone who does not like the prices in the Crown Store.

• kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    I also think once you buy one assistant, the least they could do is offer a discount on future forms of that assistant. I know I got super bummed out when I bought the ragp

Not to mention, it's

My math must be off. Each of the assistants (banker, merchant, and deconstructer) cost 5k crowns when paying full price. WIth the 21k crown packages costing $149.99 that comes out to $107.14 for the three assistants. Almost $43 less than what is being claimed. I am a stickler for accuracy on such matters.

After making that purchase we still have 6k crowns remaining to buy the Iron Atronach Trial Dummy.

That means the entire purchase of assistants and the trial dummy that is listed above totaling $210 is only 149.99

That is not all. Crowns go on sale multiple times a year. That 21k crown package costs $90 when on sale (Hope I calculated that correctly) So all three assistants and the atronach target dummy can be purchased for the low price of 90 USD.

I note the sale because it is better to plan ahead than to pay full price. Especially for anyone who does not like the prices in the Crown Store.

You make a fair point. You just CAN get a "better" deal. But I think the point still stands. "Only 107.14" for 3 digital assistants and "only 149.99" for 3 digital assistants and a training dummy is veryyyy expensive. Hashing out the exact numbers down to the cent doesn't really matter. It's still equal roughly the cost of two full AAA games and in my opinion not worth the price point.

EDIT: Due to the difference in crown pack prices and the way you can obtain crowns from various tiers of ESO+, there is no real "accurate" price. It's more a slider. Admittedly, it seems I went for the high end, and you went for the low end. Still I think the slider's skewed to the "nosebleedingly expensive" side regardless.
    Edited by kah on September 5, 2023 5:59PM
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most expensive item in the crown store should never cost more than $15 real money. As it is now the most expensive houses cost in excess of $75. The crown store in ESO is by far the most predatory marketing I've ever seen in any video game. I'm certain the excessive costs in the crown store are the primary motivation promoting any fraudulent activity related to the crown store.
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    GooGa592 wrote: »
    The most expensive item in the crown store should never cost more than $15 real money. As it is now the most expensive houses cost in excess of $75. The crown store in ESO is by far the most predatory marketing I've ever seen in any video game. I'm certain the excessive costs in the crown store are the primary motivation promoting any fraudulent activity related to the crown store.

I suspect this is true myself. Good point!
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How dd you arrive at the $15 price point?
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I highly doubt that.

Probably because it has been successful. And it would not make very solid business sense for MS to reduce revenue. Someone would be losing their job if they made such a poor business decision. The 86k+ owners that are currently involved demand one thing. Profit.

If the crown store prices have been such a solid business model why are they having so many issues with fraudulent behavior? Don't you think if prices were more reasonable there would be less fraudulent behavior in relation to the system?

And you do realize that the largest crown pack used to only cost $40, right? ($40 NOT on sale). That's how much things have changed.

Edited by GooGa592 on September 5, 2023 6:58PM
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    Aislinna wrote: »

Not criticizing the price point but I am also curious as to why you settled on that number. It's cool if there's no reason and you just feel that number is a good value. :smile:
    Edited by kah on September 5, 2023 7:19PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also think once you buy one assistant, the least they could do is offer a discount on future forms of that assistant. I know I got super bummed out when I bought the ragp

Not to mention, it's

You make a fair point. You just CAN get a "better" deal. But I think the point still stands. "Only 107.14" for 3 digital assistants and "only 149.99" for 3 digital assistants and a training dummy is veryyyy expensive. Hashing out the exact numbers down to the cent doesn't really matter. It's still equal roughly the cost of two full AAA games and in my opinion not worth the price point.

EDIT: Due to the difference in crown pack prices and the way you can obtain crowns from various tiers of ESO+, there is no real "accurate" price. It's more a slider. Admittedly, it seems I went for the high end, and you went for the low end. Still I think the slider's skewed to the "nosebleedingly expensive" side regardless.

I listed the best price for crowns and it was really accurate. The sale times are fairly predictable. I also left out that the assistants do go on sale from time to time which also reduces the cost but I chose to keep the example simple.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Not criticizing the price point but I am also curious as to why you settled on that number. It's cool if there's no reason and you just feel that number is a good value. :smile:

They did not settle on any price point. They commented on someone else's suggested price point, a post you replied to yourself.

• Gray_howling_parrot
    Gray_howling_parrot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    15-25% of what they currently are
    ESO YouTube Content Creator & Templar Tank/Healer Main
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭

Not to mention, it's

I listed the best price for crowns and it was really accurate. The sale times are fairly predictable. I also left out that the assistants do go on sale from time to time which also reduces the cost but I chose to keep the example simple.

You're acting like I completely disagreed with you. I didn't. I said you made a fair point and that your listed prices were, to some degree, accurate. However, mine was also accurate because, as I said, it depends on how you've obtained the crowns. And, as you said, it also depends on whether the items are on sale. Still, my points stand.
    Edited by kah on September 6, 2023 1:25AM
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭

They did not settle on any price point. They commented on someone else's suggested price point, a post you replied to yourself.

... I was responding to the thread, which is what you do in a forum? I commented initially on another point in the post. And I'm sure you know I didn't literally mean them setting a price point because I've explained the purpose of this thread several times now, but to be absolutely clear, I mean, "Why do you think $15 is the best value for the most expensive things in the crown store?" And, again to be clear, I wasn't being critical; I was just curious if there was some reasoning or if it was just a number that felt right to them. And I mean "felt right" hypothetically.

I don't understand why you're being so antagonistic towards me, but I'd appreciate if you'd at least try to acknowledge when I make good points or rightfully refute what you've said (EX: You never did acknowledge that you mistakenly thought someone else was OP, and as OP, I didn't "mistake" the original purpose of the thread.)
    Edited by kah on September 6, 2023 1:25AM
  • kah
    kah
    ✭✭✭
    I feel with the constant stream of pushback in this thread I should clarify that the purpose of this thread is not to bash on the prices. I'm not happy with them obviously, but I love ESO. I'm troubled by the direction we're heading in, as it seems many of us are, and think the current price points in the store are a reason for much of the discord among the players. I want to see improvements, and I feel this is a thing that could be improved. I obviously can't force it to happen as I have no power here, but I think it's important to civilly point out what players feel is a good value for their money, especially when it comes to digital goods, in the hopes that they at least take our opinion into consideration.

And once again, this isn't the first time this conversation has arisen. I've heard streamers bring it up, and I posted earlier about Azura's video. I can't say if we're the minority or majority, but I can say there is a significant portion of unhappy players. One comment on Azura's post was something along the lines of discounting the crown store by 90%, and it received 70+ likes and most other comments were in the same vein, criticizing the current crown store prices.
    Edited by kah on September 6, 2023 1:24AM