Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Suggest a Build for a Noob!

Heindrich
Heindrich
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys

My game is being downloaded as I type and I STILL cannot decide on a class and build.

I have decided not to worry too much about being competitive in ESO- if I did, I'd have bought the Imperial Edition and done a lot more research by now. However, I would still like to have a reasonably effective character that has some synergy, whilst satisfying my aesthetic, play style and roleplay preferences.

Typically I've used mages in Western fantasy games, but I've gotten a bit bored of the classic glass cannon mage build, and I'm not overly fond of the Sorcerer's lightning theme. So time for something new...

I'm a big fan of the Wuxia genre, which is Chinese fantasy setting where warriors are such skilled martial artists that their advanced techniques are basically magic, powered by "chi" or inner energy. They also typically do not wear much armour, if any at all. This would suggest some sort of "battle-mage".

I have a strong preference for swords over quarterstaff or other weapons. Ideally I'd like to use some sort of single weapon style, but it seems that ESO is designed for either 2 handed, dual-wield or sword & shield. I'd be okay with anything except 2 handed.

My current two build concepts are:

1) Dragon Knight DPS Melee

Breton DK with light armour, sword and shield or dual swords. The idea here would be to focus on Ardent Flame and Draconic Power, and rely on Draconic Power defenses to mitigate lack of heavy armour, and use the plentiful magicka availability from Breton and Light Armour bonuses to fight "buffed" most of the time.

2) Night Blade "Battle-Mage"

Breton NB, light armour, dual swords.

When I play Fighter/Mage types in other games (like Baldur's Gate). I tend to love illusions and invisibility, even if I don't necessarily like playing as a rogue or assassin. (I don't steal!) Having looked at the Night Blade class skills, I have to say they look awesome, and pretty much have the same abilities that I'd like for my battle-mage types.

In fact with this build I really struggle to identify one or two trees to focus on, and will probably use a bit of all three. Again I'd be hoping that my plentiful magicka supply will allow me to dart into combat, dish out some pain and get out if things get hairy.

How do those builds look to you? I don't know if by not using Heavy Armour with a Dragon Knight and Medium Armour with a Night Blade, I am giving up too much synergy to be effective.

Do you have any other recommendations for the sort of character I want to create?

Thanks in advance!

Heindrich

• Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to use light armor, the DK might be a bit better since one of your first class skills is an armor buff to increase your survivability in melee. The good news is that whatever you choose as a starting class/build can evolve into something you will enjoy playing. For instance, you could always decide to switch to heavier armor or a combination of light and heavy. At worst you will need to spend some gold at the level 20ish city shrines to reset your skill points when you have settled on a new character vision.
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    For the DK, I'd go dual sword but medium armor. The medium armor is going to give you more crit and stamina, whereas the light armor is about magicka regen. Magicka regen would help you keep yourself buffed as mentioned, but at the cost of damage. Aesthetically a lot of the medium armor looks pretty "light" but that's up to you. I'm guessing you like Breton for your own purposes, It's a fine race but I might consider a Dunmer (Dark Elf) for the natural affinity towards fire. But that's just me looking at it from a different perspective, and in all honesty, a light armor DK may be just fine too.
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you like Breton for your own purposes, It's a fine race but I might consider a Dunmer (Dark Elf) for the natural affinity towards fire.

Actually I am not fixed on races. I chose Breton partly because of the light armour concept I had.

I am one of those people who like to play themselves in RPGs, so that rules out Orcs, Argonians and Khajit immediately. Racial bonuses wise, Dunmer are actually ideal for me, now that I understand the combat system a bit better and I realise that Stamina is going to be crucial for melee dps. The Dunmer's combo of magicka and stamina bonus will be put to good use, and fire resistance would seem like a huge boon in a game where there's so much fire attacks!

However, although I don't mind elven pointy ears, which I can cover up with long hair, I don't know if I can pick fair-ish skin tones for Dunmer and make them look "more human". If the answer is yes, then I may just go with a dark elf who I will pretend is not a dark elf! lol

Aesthetically I actually really like the Red Guard, but although I am not going to be a powergamer, it would bug me if I didn't Sword&Shield and wasted such a good racial bonus.
  • Fancyotter98ub17_ESO
    im playing a Brenton Healing Sorc with half plate and half cloth. I primary use dark magic for the excellent cc which is good to have when 3 mobs are charging you at a time.

in pvp i use a resto staf and use sorc abilities for mage armor and cc and the rest is resto staff healing abilities.

I hear sorc/bow is one of the best combos out there.

i played a bit with melee templar with a 2h weapon, i didn't have as much fun.
  • Fexelea
    Fexelea
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to compile a list of builds as they come along :) We have some good submissions (really detailed) but would like to make it a comprehensive list so if anyone would like to share please do! (I can edit them into wiki if you wanna just post here)
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/pve+builds
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/pvp+builds
    Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki. All Eso Sets
    or check out the Dark Souls Wiki. We also have a Sekiro Wiki Bloodborne Wiki, Elden Ring Wiki and Dark Souls 3 Wiki

• Sojan
    Sojan
    ✭✭
    "Heindrich wrote: »
    ...then I may just go with a dark elf who I will pretend is not a dark elf! lol

And, here I thought I was the only one being clever; I have a Breton Templar, playing on the Dominion faction that thinks he is an Elf!

• Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember right (can't log in now to check) racial bonuses for armor goes like:

Breton=Light
    Redguard=Medium
    Orc=Heavy

As far what build you choose just ask yourself "If I could put any tools in my toon's toolkit what would they be?" Because you can choose any tools you want. In beta I had an Orc Sorcerer that ran around in heavy armor and not once did I feel like I made a bad choice. Same goes with the Nord light armor Templar I had. In early access I am playing a Breton Sorcerer in a mix or light, medium and heavy armor.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Sigh*

I am finally ingame. And it turns out I cannot fundamentally change how a Dunmer looks. They come in all different shades of grey!

That means I will have to stick to Bretons I think. Am I right in assuming that racial bonuses are passives that are active all the time? So if I use a Breton with medium armour, his light armour bonus would be wasted?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just build what seems fun.

You can rebuild later. It costs a good bit of gold, but you should have it by level 10 easily, and then some. And by then you'll get a good grasp of your skills.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they are active at all times, and no breton with medium armor works absolutely fine. Breton would give you a boost in spell resistance, which you probably will want if you're wearing medium armor, it will also lower the cost of all your magicka based skills, as well as give you a larger mana pool. You will likely be using all of these passives while you're playing, so they are by no means a waste.
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    For the DK, I'd go dual sword but medium armor. The medium armor is going to give you more crit and stamina, whereas the light armor is about magicka regen. Magicka regen would help you keep yourself buffed as mentioned, but at the cost of damage. Aesthetically a lot of the medium armor looks pretty "light" but that's up to you. I'm guessing you like Breton for your own purposes, It's a fine race but I might consider a Dunmer (Dark Elf) for the natural affinity towards fire. But that's just me looking at it from a different perspective, and in all honesty, a light armor DK may be just fine too.

Please note that Stamina improves weapon damage; however, the class skill damage is improved with more magicka. Which is better depends on skills you most use for damage.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heindrich wrote: »
    *Sigh*

I am finally ingame. And it turns out I cannot fundamentally change how a Dunmer looks. They come in all different shades of grey!

That means I will have to stick to Bretons I think. Am I right in assuming that racial bonuses are passives that are active all the time? So if I use a Breton with medium armour, his light armour bonus would be wasted?
    In the long run it doesn't matter at all. You'll just max light armor a bit faster than others, but it won't protect you any better. You should never base your race selection on the skill passive, the other three are important. Bretons are excellent for any build which makes often use of class skills (magicka bonuses).
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    In the long run it doesn't matter at all. You'll just max light armor a bit faster than others, but it won't protect you any better. You should never base your race selection on the skill passive, the other three are important. Bretons are excellent for any build which makes often use of class skills (magicka bonuses).

And this makes Bretons good for Staff based builds as well.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup I've just realised that myself. In the end I went with a Breton dual-wielding medium armoured night blade. The armour decision was kinda made for me since I found medium armour in the tutorial, and I rather liked how it looks.

Right now that mades me a bit of a stereotypical rogue/assassin in terms of build, but I'm only lv4, so hopefully I can customise more as I level up to be more of a mobile dps warrior with some arcane tricks, and fit my theme a bit better.
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO

Yup I've just realised that myself. In the end I went with a Breton dual-wielding medium armoured night blade. The armour decision was kinda made for me since I found medium armour in the tutorial, and I rather liked how it looks.

Right now that mades me a bit of a stereotypical rogue/assassin in terms of build, but I'm only lv4, so hopefully I can customise more as I level up to be more of a mobile dps warrior with some arcane tricks, and fit my theme a bit better.

customization really has few limits to that class. Most people are playing nightblade-assassin with a bow or knives. I've been curious as to how much more beneficial a big, 2h sword might be instead...
  • zer0_sum
    zer0_sum
    ✭✭✭
    Or you can just be a sorc and wear heavy armor and use a greatsword and spec for great sword abilities. Nothing is saying you can't. Pick up a few instant cast sorc abilities you like and go to town.
  • zer0_sum
    zer0_sum
    ✭✭✭

customization really has few limits to that class. Most people are playing nightblade-assassin with a bow or knives. I've been curious as to how much more beneficial a big, 2h sword might be instead...

Honestly great from what I've read. Bow/greatsword is really nice. Split points in both weapons with some in basic nightblade trees that extend range of things and such. It makes you strong at range and hit like a truck at close as well. Something like this: BUILD