Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Intimidate and Persuade?

METALPUNKS
METALPUNKS
✭✭✭
What exaclty do these do? Do you miss entire parts of a quest by using them? Do you save gold by not having to pay off quest npc's?

I guess ny main question, is it worth the skill points? Also i dont want to miss any of the story or any side quest, does using these skills make you skip stuff even if its not that important ?
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Intimidate and persuade are more 'shortcuts' than anything else. While they aren't NECESSARY, they do open up conversation options you would not otherwise have ... and solutions to a situation that go better for you.

In some quests, you can intimidate folks, so you don't have to fight them; they just get cowed and give up. In other quests, a bit of persuasion means they'll give you information you'd otherwise have to run around and find...
  • Nightblade
    Nightblade
    ✭✭
    They can also save you a spot of gold on the odd occasion
  • LandoMoonHunter
    LandoMoonHunter
    Soul Shriven
    Yup
    Edited by LandoMoonHunter on April 2, 2014 10:56PM
  • Bushranger
    Bushranger
    Soul Shriven
    @Sihnfahl has it right. The Intimidate and Persuade skills are essentially Elder Scrolls Online's Speechcraft/Charisma skills.
  • LandoMoonHunter
    LandoMoonHunter
    Soul Shriven
    Yes sir indeed
  • Frail_Old_Man
    Frail_Old_Man
    ✭✭
    They're worth it. So much easier to get some quests done.
    Sanguine's testers, the best testers.
    Alas we are no longer labeled as such.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I had my first prompt for them from the level 15 prophet quest. There you ask towns folk about someone strange and you and persuade one and intimidate the other for more information.
  • Darka
    Darka
    ✭✭
    How do you gain those abilities?
    I had no idea they existed until i saw it and found out i couldnt click
    The Defender Gaming Community Est 2006
    Juganoth - Late Night Gaming on Ebon Heart Pact/Wabbajack
    Social Guild of Older Gamers
    "To Those who walked before us
    You made us what we are
    To Those who come after us
    Let us give as good as we got."
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darka wrote: »
    How do you gain those abilities?
    I had no idea they existed until i saw it and found out i couldnt click

@Darka,
    These abilities are the first unlocked from the Mage's and Fighter's Guild.
    It really is worth investing in at least ONE of these passive abilities,
    I put my skillpoints in them as soon as I had 2 available.

It's unbelievable how much time and energy they can save you!
    They need to be worth it if you spend a skillpoint in them!
    Edited by Terminus on April 7, 2014 8:50PM
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    That's the reason why they're absolutely not worth it.
    You miss out a ton of xp and some quests for using these 'shortcuts'. So yeah, go ahead, but in the long run you're shafting only yourself.

If there were quests that cannot be completed/started without them they would worth it, but currently you are only locking yourself out from loot/xp and exploration.

• Jonplummer99b14_ESO
    Both of these abilities are well worth the points..
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They save gold sometimes or save you the trouble of doing some pretty stupid fetch me 5 piles of guar manure type quest steps. For two points I think it it was worth it. From a RP point of view it is interesting to have them . There were a couple of times when I chose to not be an ass and in intimidate the poor ***.
    Edited by PBpsy on April 14, 2014 9:48PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Draconiuos
    Draconiuos
    ✭✭✭
    zamiel wrote: »
    That's the reason why they're absolutely not worth it.
    You miss out a ton of xp and some quests for using these 'shortcuts'. So yeah, go ahead, but in the long run you're shafting only yourself.

If there were quests that cannot be completed/started without them they would worth it, but currently you are only locking yourself out from loot/xp and exploration.

Yes, because the random green that is more common than white loot , and maybe 100xp is so worth my 5 minutes+ it might take to do the odd side quest to get info. By having these skills I have saved close to 250+ gold, not a lot but more than the odd green I might have gotten from a pointless side quest.
  • ceera_rayhne
    ceera_rayhne
    Soul Shriven
    Well if you have pursuasion in Lesser of two evils,
    you don't have to kill Rana when she eats the Thrall.
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that annoys me about these passives are the quests where not having them means you MUST fork over more gold to progress the quest than the quest will reward.

Otherwise I could care less, a couple of characters with more skill points than they will ever need have them unlocked, others don't, and it doesn't really seem matter other than at times a quest may take a bit longer to finish.
  • ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're closing this thread as it's pretty old and outdated. Since the subject matter itself is still relevant, we have left the most recent comments. You are welcome to make a new thread on this topic if you would like to continue discussion. :)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.