Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can you turn your character in place?

Quinz128ub17_ESO
I ask this for reasons of positioning for RP mainly. In some cases (Leaning against a wall, turning to be under cover, etc) I want to have my character in a specific position, yet I can't turn around to get the right spot. And since there is no 'backing up' your character turns to walk in that direction it is becoming frustrating. Am I missing something in controls?
  • Quinz128ub17_ESO
    Guessing not, since no answers?
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not tried it, I think if one turns the camera around (see front of the char), all the controls will backwards. I done a trick like in Oblivion, but tried it in ESO yet.

All I can say, play around with the camera and move controls of the char -- that might work.
  • Herlastsonb14_ESO
    Herlastsonb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    BUMP...Zenimax, please implement a turn bind sometime in the future. It is a simple addition that would brighten so many days.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    I also am having this problem, mainly for taking screen shots.

Also I have noticed that the camera stay at the same height, so if a kneel and zoom in the camera is at the wrong height which makes for rubbish look screenies.

A turn and walk backwards should be implemented. Even if the make it something like holding shift + 'a, d or s'.

If is highly frustrating trying to line yourself up then fall from the cliff top because of an unintentional sidestep.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggested this in /feedback a few days ago.
    You might want to do the same.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah unfortunately mouse turning doesn't turn your body.

One thing I found helps is binding your walk mode toggle. At least then your character takes much smaller steps. Best I can suggest.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • deamor666eb17_ESO
    deamor666eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You can actively block and then turn your mouse. That should turn your body as well.

Though I'm not completely sure. I use it to back against a wall and that at least works.
    Edited by deamor666eb17_ESO on April 25, 2014 4:46AM
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I hope they add this option, it's terrible I can't let my character turn in the direction that I want.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -Aim your crosshair where you want your character to face
    -Fire a staff/bow/projectile

You should now be facing that direction. Obviously not perfect for RP sake, but neither is having to move around like some kind of action figure.
    [DC/NA]
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You can also jump, it will slowly turn you to face the direction the camera is facing with each jump.

You may look like a fool while doing it, but at least you wont be leaning in the air when you start to /leanback
    Edited by Nasuradin_ESO on April 25, 2014 8:14AM
  • Frosthawk
    Frosthawk
    ✭✭✭
    FPS turning did exist during beta but was then removed for some unknown reason. (why?).
    It was much more understandable in first place allowing player turn character in fps mode perfectly to wanted direction. New lock turning system kills one part of ESO what they did managed to create in first place for immersion making your character take commands as it had been just usual The Elder Scrolls gaming not pure mmo how its now move inch by inch to turn which is very annoing if you haven't changed dodge key binding.

/feedback might be then only solution asking this back but then again it requires so many to make it happen...
    EU - Adlmeri Dominion
    Sanquin's tester
  • Mrchavoda
    Mrchavoda
    Its one of those extreme lazy and silly things they dint add to the game, one would realy think compleet novice programers and designers made the game if you look at the amount of missing basic controls and odd design features
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    dudes, we are only in 2014, how could you ask for such a complex feature??
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd like to see that feature too, have tried all sorts to position my char and it doesn't work out. The other day I used /leanside in an Inn, trying to look nonchalant and leaning against the bar, but I was facing wrong direction and my char leaned AWAY from the bar with his hand in mid air lol
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    I also am having this problem, mainly for taking screen shots.
    There is a method I use for character screenshots that is acceptable at least.

Bind a key to hide the UI. Hit escape to open the menu. It zooms in on your character and casts a dim light. Hide the UI and screenshot.

A "vanity camera" for better character screenshots would be a nice addition to the game, once more important updates are moving along steadily and the game is more stable.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Malkavianqueen
    Malkavianqueen
    ✭✭✭
    I am so glad other people are finally noticing this. It drives me crazy! Especially in first person view. Your character doesn't turn with the mouse. They just stand in place unless you move forward. X.x It's really awful when trying to make my character face something. It's very disconnecting!

You can try jumping, as someone said, but half the time my character falls through the world if I jump too often in first person.

I would love to at least have a keybinding.
  • lichmeister
    lichmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    There is a method I use for character screenshots that is acceptable at least.

Bind a key to hide the UI. Hit escape to open the menu. It zooms in on your character and casts a dim light. Hide the UI and screenshot.

A "vanity camera" for better character screenshots would be a nice addition to the game, once more important updates are moving along steadily and the game is more stable.

oooh! way cool! im looking forward to trying that when servers come back up!

what do you mean by "vanity camera?"

i also agree that this could wait until stability and new content start rolling forward.
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes against a wall or cliff, you can turn your camera to face the direction you want your character to be facing, and jump once, and that will turn your character. Unfortunately, it usually takes me two or three tries, and by the third or fourth it just jumps me through the map, and I end up having to log out and then use /stuck and revive at the nearest wayshrine. :\
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh
    ✭✭✭
    Walk into the wall etc. then go into first-person and rotate the camera to where you face, go into block mode, then do a bash. Worked for me.
    "Shut it, you fop" - Valorone, Fighters' Guild, Coldharbour to Darien Gautier
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While reading this old thread, I noticed this quote:
    badmojo wrote: »
    -Aim your crosshair where you want your character to face
    -Fire a staff/bow/projectile

Now that the thread has risen from the dead, this advice actually needs to be updated. One must make sure, if using this method, to not hurt any nearby NPCs that could cause an unfortunate encounter with the Guard.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an old thread but... I usually hold block and moving backward to /leanback to the wall.
    Another "facepalm" thing is the /sleep emotion. You don't lie down on the direction you're standing, but turn 90*. I always have to try /sleep a few times to get into the right position
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on May 31, 2015 11:24AM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noticed recently that opening up my menu flips my chacter around but doesn't flip them back after I close it. I guess if you have the same thing happen to you, you could use that to turn your character.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    Go into first person and turn around. Simple solutions are always the best.