The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Post U39 Necromancer in PvP

CameraBeardThePirate
CameraBeardThePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I'll be the first to admit it ZOS, I didn't think the small changes made this patch would be all that impactful; however, the combination of Deaden Pain and the Colossus buff have given necromancers a leg to stand on.

The Colossus change is pretty straightforward - more damage more often = FeelsGoodMan.

Deaden Pain was the surprising one, and I think it shows where all corpse consumption abilities need to be. Deaden Pain's buff means that necro finally has a decent class HoT. I still wish the ability wouldn't shorten its own duration on refresh, but the ability still feels much better than the other corpse consumption abilities such as the tethers. It's much more "Fire and Forget" with its extended duration, giving it a much better uptime and far fewer hoops to jump through in order to use it. You don't need to think about it as much.

Please ZOS, take this as a lesson - Corpse Consumption abilities, and especially the tethers, need to be less micromanagey. There's a couple ways to do that - the tethers could become Sticky HoTs/DoTs, or they could be changed so that they don't break on LoS (or even worse, slightly uneven terrain). They require a corpse to use, so they should be powerful and worth using. As it stands, they're not; they're not much better than a standard HoT/DoT, yet they're far more inconsistent.

Please make a QoL change to the tethers like Deaden Pain received - either rework them completely to be "sticky" rather than AoE, or allow them to go through terrain/walls so that they aren't useless in mobile encounters.

@ZOS_Kevin please pass on the positive feedback on the Deaden Pain change - it's a great move towards making Corpse Consumption abilities feel good to use, and giving the Tethers a similar QoL change would greatly improve Necro's playability.

Oh, and give necros sorcery/brutality lol
Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 22, 2023 1:01PM
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruh.

I recently made a new toon for the first time in... I dunno... 3 years? It was news to me that necromancer was free these days. So I made one. And I made him a werewolf too, cuz I don't have a lot of experience with that either. Just wanted something new. But I do remember thinking to myself "Necro is probably gonna get buffed soon, and werewolf too. I'm gonna be such a genius."

:smiley:

But yes, give us major brutality/sorcery. Having to buy and use alliance stam pots in lowbie PvP sucks. Also, make the dang alliance pots scale with your level like crown pots and poisons do. Every time I buy more it creates another stack because I'm 1 level higher. Pointless and annoying.
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to admit it ZOS, I didn't think the small changes made this patch would be all that impactful; however, the combination of Deaden Pain and the Colossus buff have given necromancers a leg to stand on.

The Colossus change is pretty straightforward - more damage more often = FeelsGoodMan.

Deaden Pain was the surprising one, and I think it shows where all corpse consumption abilities need to be. Deaden Pain's buff means that necro finally has a decent class HoT. I still wish the ability wouldn't shorten its own duration on refresh, but the ability still feels much better than the other corpse consumption abilities such as the tethers. It's much more "Fire and Forget" with its extended duration, giving it a much better uptime and far fewer hoops to jump through in order to use it. You don't need to think about it as much.

Please ZOS, take this as a lesson - Corpse Consumption abilities, and especially the tethers, need to be less micromanagey. There's a couple ways to do that - the tethers could become Sticky HoTs/DoTs, or they could be changed so that they don't break on LoS (or even worse, slightly uneven terrain). They require a corpse to use, so they should be powerful and worth using. As it stands, they're not; they're not much better than a standard HoT/DoT, yet they're far more inconsistent.

Please make a QoL change to the tethers like Deaden Pain received - either rework them completely to be "sticky" rather than AoE, or allow them to go through terrain/walls so that they aren't useless in mobile encounters.

@ZOS_Kevin please pass on the positive feedback on the Deaden Pain change - it's a great move towards making Corpse Consumption abilities feel good to use, and giving the Tethers a similar QoL change would greatly improve Necro's playability.

I might try Deaden Pain again if it's better now. Glacial Colossus, I still don't know about. You need to be able to stun your opponent in order to get the full damage out of it and necros don't have a reliable stun.

Also going to continue to share my suggestions
    Here are some ideas that I have to add some more utility to the skills on the class.

Hungry Scythe: also applies life steal to all enemies hit. (I think this still won't make the spammable very good for damage but at least it'll add to the use for survivability)

[Also, life steal should probably be tied to a status effect too]

Skeletal Arcanist/Archer:
    grants major sorcery/brutality when active.

Mystic/Detonating Syphon:
    grants major prophecy/savagery when slotted. Both morphs apply a damage over time to targets that stick to them after touching the tether.

Flame/Venom skull:
    applies burning/poisoned status effects. Does additional damage to targets afflicted with a status effect. No longer does increased damage on third cast but instead does increased damage on low health enemies.

Spirit Mender:

- Spirit Guardian: when active, applies major cowardice to attackers. (I just like the idea of the ghost scaring attackers.)
    - Intensive Mender: increases the healing over a shorter period of time. (Buff the healing more please)

Bone Totem:
    summons an effigy of bones up to 28 meters away. After 1 second, the totem begins fearing nearby enemies every 2 seconds, causing them to cower in place for 4 seconds. (Changed to allow both morphs to be targeted)
    - Warding Totem (Formerly Remote Totem): grants minor protection when standing in the area of effect.
    - Agony Totem: afflicts enemies in the area of effect with minor vulnerability.

ULTIMATES:
    (Removed Colossus suggestions)

Animate Blastbones:
    instead of resurrecting allies, this ultimate summons three blastbones to attack the nearest opponent. It consumes corpses in the area to summon (edit) more blastbones. Reduce the cost of this ultimate to 200, down from 320, to make it more usable.

Edited by StarOfElyon on August 30, 2023 4:33PM
    Options
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to say the animated blastbones ability in general could work much better if blastbones, just in general, would explode when they had no target instead of bleeping out of existence.

Blastbones often have no target despite being near enemies, and especially with that ult, so if they would simply explode where they were in this case, the ult could be used somewhat effectively. Right now you are risking all that ult because there's like a 50% chance the blastbones will even work on the enemies that are beside them.....
    Options
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JerBearESO wrote: »
    I just want to say the animated blastbones ability in general could work much better if blastbones, just in general, would explode when they had no target instead of bleeping out of existence.

This x10000000. Either let us command Necro pets with the already-existing keybind that's supposed to do just that, or let the blastbones explode when they expire. They already explode instantly if you die while they're up, so why not allow them to explode if they just expire without leaping?
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on August 31, 2023 12:42PM
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JerBearESO wrote: »

Blastbones often have no target despite being near enemies, and especially with that ult, so if they would simply explode where they were in this case, the ult could be used somewhat effectively. Right now you are risking all that ult because there's like a 50% chance the blastbones will even work on the enemies that are beside them.....

NPCs in this game will chase you to the ends of the earth but blastbones can't find its target? That is unacceptable.
    Options
  • Shadowbinder7
    Shadowbinder7
    ✭✭
    I think adding major brutality/sorcery to skeletal mage and its morphs is an excellent idea, if you are reading this ZOS devs!

I also think Skeletal arcanist’s damage needs to be buffed more to be on par with Skeletal archer, as an actual ape alternative and not just the worse morph as it is now. It’s sad because I think it looks better on macgros.

Adding major savagery/prophecy to siphon and it morphs would be amazing but I’m not holding my breath.

I also feel both spirit mender’s morphs, especially spirit guardian, need a bit of a bump in healing! It’s the only HoT a magcro (no not resolving vigor don’t go there) has in content where no healers are available. It really needs more healing, like burning embers and critical surge have.

These are steps to help fix necro, devs!
    Options
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes please for tethers to be sticky. The dependence on corpse positioning is so limiting as a class mechanic.

I agree also on class access to Major Sorcery / Brutality since every other class has it.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
    Options
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo making the tethers stick to the target and the corpse, instead of the necro and the corpse. With the option of making it stick to the caster if targeting a corpse would be a nice qol change.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
    Options
  • Sporigudinai
    Sporigudinai
    ✭✭✭
    I´m the only one that is thinking the "Scribing" update will make Necro playable again? It will give to necros the buffs that other classes already have easily, so it´s possible that Necros will be better.
    PC-NA
    Options
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    I´m the only one that is thinking the "Scribing" update will make Necro playable again? It will give to necros the buffs that other classes already have easily, so it´s possible that Necros will be better.

What skills are you going to remove? What does it mean if those skills are removed?
    Scribing shouldn't be the fix for a class problem. While other classes benefit from new skills and add ways to play, for the Necromancer it's going to be another forced skill to keep it on par with the other classes.
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tethers should be deleted and just change them to instant corpse usage.

So for example, casting Siphon on a corpse blows it up dealing a little AOE burst and puts a sticky DOT on everyone hit by the blast (exactly like Syvarra's Scales).
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Honestly, I haven't been playing my necro much after coming back but, just what I have. These would help but magic necro really needs help. It has zero burst as a dps. Blastbones at least before had burst. Secondly, pet need to be up while on one bar. It is so ****** annoying having to bounce between the two pets all the time. Either the ghost stays up which would make more sense for healers, or the mage skeleton stays up no matter what bar its on. There is soo much going on in combat to have to pay attention too the 5 cds counting down on the bar is stupid.

The micromanagement in necromancer needs to die.
    Options
  • Arieswar13
    Arieswar13
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Templar was in a rough spot with the constant jabs nerfs, necromancer is probably at the bottom.

Something needs to be done, they are not doing great in PVE either. A blast bones damage buff to help with burst would be helpful, the loss in burst from stalking is really noticeable. Other class abilities, such as mage, could use a tune upwards as well.

I still think the current version of the new magicka morph is an April fools joke that has over stayed it's welcome. Come on, it's almost May.

Necromancer is the slowest class, it should hit hard. What's the point of being slow if you don't do any damage when you connect either?
    Options