The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PvP Kill Feed should be in a separate window and not spamming the main chat

SkaraMinoc
SkaraMinoc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I can't even read what players type in zone chat because the kill feed spams the window and scrolls everything up. It's way too noisy and should never have been added to the main chat window. It should either be a channel like Say, Yell, Zone, etc or should be in a separate window entirely. I have to turn the kill feed off until the devs improve the experience.
PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In Dark Age of Camelot, the kill feed was outside the chat window. It should work the same way in ESO.
    PC NA
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah when I read the patch notes on this my first thought was, 'Who thought this was the best way to implement this?" I use zone chat to look for upcoming battles and calls for help and the kill feed seems like it will completely overwhelm it, especially in large battles. I'm reserving judgment until I get a chance to see it in action though.
    Edited by Marcus684 on August 21, 2023 10:55PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone might come up with an add on at least that relocates it to a more suitable or customizable location.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    Yeah when I read the patch notes on this my first thought was, 'Who thought this was the best way to implement this?" I use zone chat to look for upcoming battles and calls for help and the kill feed seems like it will completely overwhelm it, especially in large battles. I'm reserving judgment until I get a chance to see it in action though.

It absolutely overwhelms the chat. I have only done BGs so far and even there with just 12 people it is completely filling up the chat as soon as a few people die.
    If it actually shows every death in Cyrodiil I dont think youre going to be able to see anything in chat.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks like they didn’t take any feedback from PTS about this, not shocked but sucks to hear. Not looking forward to PvP later tonight at all.
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    yea this was discussed a lot on PTS and feedback was entirely ignored. Best solution I saw posted there (sorry, I dont recall the poster, nor am I digging it up, but they made graphics for it and everything) was to just add that info to Keeps lit/Conflict cross sword tool tips. ie - large conflict, AD/DC, 10 AD recent deaths, 1 DC recent death- when you hover over it. that way people can kind of see "okay, something big happening here." same info for Keeps that are lit. id take that over a kill feed across all of cyro any day. most of the discords im in , chat is basically all people listing how to turn the kill feed off lol. (it is in the settings to turn off entirely).

I think it could be useful on a small scale level, like "1 AD died Vlast area" to let you know there stuff happening there, but id rather see a heat map or something. imagine a large circle over say Chalman and all of its resources, that just says 'X recent Faction deaths" - not oversharing info, you arent spammed when you dont want it, people that pay attention to the map will know where the action is.

a kill feed spam is fine in a 10 minute deathmatch in a shooter. in a siege map like cyro, not so much. anyone that really wants to brag about their kill feed is spamming their youtube links anyway.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like it to be a chat tab option. Same with other notices so I can have one tab clean of clutter and different tabs fir different info I chose.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Someone might come up with an add on at least that relocates it to a more suitable or customizable location.

Miats had it for long time.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yea this was discussed a lot on PTS and feedback was entirely ignored.

They do this every PTS with most of the feedback given.

Why have the PTS at all if they don't take the majority of feedback? Are they not seeing it? Do they think they know better?
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in imperial city and it was just a stream of some guy killing some other guy ad infinitum, this doesnt interest me at all. How do i turn that off please?
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Setting>Social
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why have the PTS at all if they don't take the majority of feedback? Are they not seeing it? Do they think they know better?

I could be mistaken but, my impression was next to nobody actually tested the PvP kill feed on the PTS.

I just saw my screenshots and a report from somebody else that also included details about how it communicated with addons.

I didn't know it had a range limitation until it hit live because my testing had been with either solo using the self kill messages or with just one other person who killed me at the location we met up at. I hadn't actually seen anyone testing the range.

The self kill messages got patched after we reported them.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is kind of funny in a sad sort of way sitting at Ash and watching the steady stream of names of DC players dying at Ash milegate while they get farmed by some ball group, but chat is a really bad place for this info to be sent. Maybe if they added the ability to bind its toggle to a key so you can quickly turn it on and off as needed it would be ok, but as it stands right now it's not useful if you actually want to watch zone chat.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

ZOS treats the PTS as testing for show stopping bugs before they hit Live (like if the Kill Feed crashed the game) or making minor tweaks to numbers in a formula (like change some buff from 12% to 10%). Something that is annoying but not game-breaking will never get priority on PTS. It just won't. That is not how ZOS use the PTS. Their goal is to use PTS to find the stuff that:

1). Absolutely, positively must be changed before it goes Live because it breaks the game.
    2). Stuff that is not game-breaking, but simple and low risk to tweak before Live.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've already turned it off. Useless addition to the game.

I'm also griped that I needed to redo my builds from Fire to Lightning staff, wasting transmutes, mats and time because of another useless change.

• reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone I know and judging by zone chat, everyone is just disabling the PvP kill feed. It was a bad idea to begin with, but at least they gave us the option to turn it off.

(it was a bad idea for two reasons, the kill feed clutters up the zone chat to the point zone chat is useless for anything else, and it's an unnecessary, unrequested increase in server load)

Edited by reazea on August 22, 2023 3:23PM
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a tab I'm usually on that turns off zone and just get guild and group chat along with combat numbers. The new kill feed is only on the default tab so I just leave it in the background.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a tab I'm usually on that turns off zone and just get guild and group chat along with combat numbers. The new kill feed is only on the default tab so I just leave it in the background.

Hmmm that may be a good solution, set up a chat tab just for the kill feed. Good idea!
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

ZOS treats the PTS as testing for show stopping bugs before they hit Live (like if the Kill Feed crashed the game) or making minor tweaks to numbers in a formula (like change some buff from 12% to 10%). Something that is annoying but not game-breaking will never get priority on PTS. It just won't. That is not how ZOS use the PTS. Their goal is to use PTS to find the stuff that:

1). Absolutely, positively must be changed before it goes Live because it breaks the game.
    2). Stuff that is not game-breaking, but simple and low risk to tweak before Live.

Except that they explicitly ask for feedback and explicitly state that they await feedback.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    It is kind of funny in a sad sort of way sitting at Ash and watching the steady stream of names of DC players dying at Ash milegate while they get farmed by some ball group, but chat is a really bad place for this info to be sent. Maybe if they added the ability to bind its toggle to a key so you can quickly turn it on and off as needed it would be ok, but as it stands right now it's not useful if you actually want to watch zone chat.

thanks for this marcus...I'm finding humor in the situation now...

we'll be able to see who really sucks, and who the hell is up in the chalman mill with a camp nearby and feeding AP to some one...

oh man, I can't wait to start asking people in zone chat why they keep dying so much...

it all fairness, I'll get my own run of bad play and wind up dead a bunch...

shoot, was on my light armor wearing magblade and got sniped a couple of times riding out of a keep today...

I forget sometimes that I'm not always wearing heavy armor...
    Edited by geonsocal on August 22, 2023 10:14PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to say, as much as I saw complaints on pts forum about this kill feed, I looooove the kill feed!

But yes a separate chat window, maybe right above the normal one, could be dedicated to this kill feed for sure 😁

Freaking awesome though!
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The kill feed is great in IC - it means we can find the action quicker and gives a bit of a heads up if there are gankers in your district.
  • Forsacen11
    Forsacen11
    Soul Shriven
    So I found a work around for this to put it into a separate window. Using ChatIT (https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info673-CirconiansChatIt.html) you can create an additional window, you can toggle the Kill feed into a specific chat by selecting/unselecting the "System" box in the chat window options. I just shrunk a nice rectangle and stuck it above my normal chat, Its working great for me, hope it works for you :smiley:
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a console pleb I like the kill feed, but I hate it being in chat, I was hoping it'd be like a top right corner notification. Which I'd be fine with, but spamming chat is just ridiculous, especially if you're running in a group and typing to group members as opposed to being on call with them
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade