Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The new ship house and furnishing limitations

Rageypoo
Rageypoo
✭✭✭✭✭
The ship highlights a glaring issue with the current furnishing limitations that so many other houses also share, there ismply isn't enough to make it feel like an actual real life ship. There's the deck, the Captain's quarters, the crew quarters (made of 16 individual rooms) with a large middle area, also the cargo/gunnery room below, the bow and the stern and the helm. 700 limit just isn't enough to fill out this space appropriately, in my opionoin I think this limitation needs to be increased to AT LEAST 1000 to really make larger homes like this shine.

I know this is yet another "need moar furnishings" post, and it is...so add it to the list of requests. I really like this ship, please help us make these spaces truly unique and magical.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do think they'd be wise to work on this issue (if they aren't)... I honestly don't buy the big crown houses anymore because I end up having to leave them feeling very empty or block off half of the house. And they cost more than two brand new AAA games... I'm not gonna throw down that kind of money if I'm not even getting my moneys' worth out of the house.

I'm not the only person I know who feels this way. More smaller / medium sized houses, or more slots please!

EDIT: Or as a more short term solution, more furnishings that replace multiple individual furnishings... like a couple tables with meals set out on them... shelves stocked with food... a bed covered with pillows... all-in-one structures like the alinor greenhouse.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on August 16, 2023 6:16PM
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went all out on the captain's quarters and top deck since that's where I'll be spending most of my time. Already used 300/700 and haven't touched the lower decks. Looking at it now to decide how to handle it, if at all. Might instead keep adding up top.

The thing that bugs me and is a big factor in my probably not bothering with the lower decks is there are no cannons in the game to put in the ship. It has open cannon ports. No cannons. Ugh.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another day, another crown house that's way too big for the furnishing limit. Just wait until you go on the PTS and see the house that's currently being tested there, just in case you were under the delusion that they're actually listening to any of these concerns (spoilers: they are not listening).
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    <OPINION>

I'm only getting started on my ship. As the ship is "moving" i see no reason to build off into the water (so far i added a few smaller ships sailing along with me), and since the masts go up some 10,000 feet in the air for some reason, not much i see to do up there.

I personally think the ship is actually an OK size compared to some houses. For me its not the size, its the "areas", no place for trees/plants, cemetery, stable, etc. Just wouldn't "fit" on a ship (for me) so i have to build in a different style.

For the crew quarters so far a few bunk beds, table, chair, nick knacks, each room takes maybe 6-8 items to look "basically" done, and having the ship layout as it is, its very easy to "close the door" on a few as if they are in use. I used some curtains to block a few again as if in use, and then filled a few more with mentioned bedding, others as storage which only takes a few items to flesh out the basics. Eventually a few sitting areas, game spots, and the crew section is basically done.

So far the lower deck i put in the sort of obvious Ballista along the "cannon port" openings and 1/2 the room is done. Eventually some metal working/armory/storage and the room is done.

Main deck i built some cranes, added a bunch of big crates, barrels, etc. and it fills in fast.

Once the "basics" are done with different areas, i go back with available slots and flesh things out and add more details.

For my builds though, I prefer less stuff crammed into tiny spots, a hundred pillows and clipping plants and trees isn't my thing, etc. As always it comes down to what the individual thinks "looks good". So to say flat out its too big or small, is personal choice, and so for those, sadly you buy or don't buy.

I'd be all for various sizes of various homes, but its pretty clear that's not really how it goes.

</OPINION>
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think they'd be wise to work on this issue (if they aren't)... I honestly don't buy the big crown houses anymore because I end up having to leave them feeling very empty or block off half of the house. And they cost more than two brand new AAA games... I'm not gonna throw down that kind of money if I'm not even getting my moneys' worth out of the house.

Same here. In the beginning, I bought almost every house that came out and loved most of them. Now, I'm staying away from the big ones, because I know I won't be able to fill them the way I want to. And shelling out +14k Crowns for something that I can't really use isn't what I want to do...

Oh... and even if they have 700 slots, then at least 100 or so are already full with stuff that I don't really need or want. So I have to remove all of it, before I can even start. >.<
    Edited by Ravensilver on August 21, 2023 10:56PM
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who loves clutter and never met an item slot I couldn't fill... yes, please, up the housing slots. I could fill a house half that size with 700 slots and be happy
  • arctangent
    arctangent
    ✭✭
    ZOS is missing an opportunity here to have a second tier of ESO+ (for more money, of course) that extends the number of housing slots, bag space, number of characters, etc. They could be making much more cash off of us, if they only did.