The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Things you're doing wrong.

claudekennilol
claudekennilol
✭✭✭
  • Deconstructing the things you just made to level your crafting is wrong. You get a huge penalty on inspiration gain for deconstructing things you have made (inspiration = crafting xp). You should be trading these things to other players (even trade) and then deconstructing those so you get the full inspiration value.
  • If you're wearing armor/weapons that give you bonus inspiration then you're doing it wrong. These items are worth more inspiration when deconstructed--they don't increase the gain of inspiration when worn. (same for the ones that are worth more when sold)

I guess that's my whole list. If you have any pointers that could benefit other people please share.
  • jeisenhauerub17_ESO
    I have question on the first point. If I deconstruct items made by my alt character, does the penalty still apply?
  • lefty1117
    lefty1117
    Soul Shriven
    Here's mine: If you die while you're questing, you're doing it wrong.
  • clearnoise
    Thanks @claudekennilol that was helpfull. You were right both of those I was doing wrong. lol
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have question on the first point. If I deconstruct items made by my alt character, does the penalty still apply?

Good question, I would guess no because the item says created by and a character name, not your account name. But that could be tracked behind the scenes I guess. That said, not sure why you'd effectively level the same crafting skill on two characters like that :P
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen an example of others running into problems, so will post it here so anyone new looking for tips might see it.

I returned to Davon's Watch after doing the 2 starting areas and started on the faction quest there. Indoril Crypt was piled high with bodies of level 3 players still wearing their prison rags and with starting weapons.

My tip is - if you are finding stuff difficult, go do the optional starter islands, harvest resources, craft yourself a full set of gear, get the Skyshards in those locations, and have enough skillpoints to have a full hotbar of active skills and improve your performance. Also remember that avoiding dying in this game is active you can't just stand there and have something hammer at you and hope you have enough hitpoints - keep moving, avoid the red areas, and remember to dodge, block, and interrupt.
    Edited by Epona222 on April 1, 2014 9:12PM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Stienbjorn
    No, you get the full inspiration when deconstructing an item crafted by an alt. However it seems odd to raise, say blacksmithing, twice just to decrease the time it takes to raise it once. Far easier to find someone in game and just swap level 6 iron daggers to each other to avoid the penalty then to raise two characters with the exact same crafting profession. Only reason I see to do this is to separate out the researching of traits between the two characters.
  • Taeko
    Taeko
    Epona222 wrote: »
    Just seen an example of others running into problems, so will post it here so anyone new looking for tips might see it.

I returned to Davon's Watch after doing the 2 starting areas and started on the faction quest there. Indoril Crypt was piled high with bodies of level 3 players still wearing their prison rags and with starting weapons.

My tip is - if you are finding stuff difficult, go do the optional starter islands, harvest resources, craft yourself a full set of gear, get the Skyshards in those locations, and have enough skillpoints to have a full hotbar of active skills and improve your performance. Also remember that avoiding dying in this game is active you can't just stand there and have something hammer at you and hope you have enough hitpoints - keep moving, avoid the red areas, and remember to dodge, block, and interrupt.

I would also add that u should really use those bonus maps because they give u good gear and soul gems. So far I've found the bonus content treasure maps are really easy to find. Just don't get them all out at once-just the one that correlates to the area you're in. Don't want to clutter up u're inventory space.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the one area I've not had much experience in, even though I was in all the betas I just didn't spend time doing any of it as I wanted to spend time with it in game.

Looks like I'll be on a steep learning curve.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Venater79
    Venater79
    My tip is-> don't cry if something looks hard first time! The problem is definetly not in the program ;-) (except bugs).
    If you crying too much instead of playing, we will "make" an "VVoVV 2" from this fantastic game (my appologise for my english, i hope "you" you get what i mean :-)
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    Stienbjorn wrote: »
    No, you get the full inspiration when deconstructing an item crafted by an alt. However it seems odd to raise, say blacksmithing, twice just to decrease the time it takes to raise it once. Far easier to find someone in game and just swap level 6 iron daggers to each other to avoid the penalty then to raise two characters with the exact same crafting profession. Only reason I see to do this is to separate out the researching of traits between the two characters.

Interesting. I have been building up all the professions on all my characters under level 15, before you start having to spend points. However, I suppose there's no point in gaining xp for a profession except to get to the point where you can spend points.
  • Vodka
    Vodka
    ✭✭✭
    If you jump and die your doing ti wrong
    | Calling all Aldmeri Dominion | Agents of the Dominion | Recruiting All AD |
    | Add @Morckie in Game | Discord: https://discord.gg/MhrDxqe |
  • Rantog
    Rantog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stienbjorn wrote: »
    No, you get the full inspiration when deconstructing an item crafted by an alt. However it seems odd to raise, say blacksmithing, twice just to decrease the time it takes to raise it once.

If you are using an Alt to recover maximum resources and improvement materials - at the cost of currently precious skill points - it works out quite well.

Me - makes items.
    SmithAlt - breaks them for materials (with bonus from skill points)
    SmithAlt - remakes the items.
    Me - breaks them for skill.

Back and forth until I run low on materials.
    Allows me to get the benefits of skill points invested in All the crafts without actually using up the points on my main character (until later when skill points are surplus)
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

Good question, I would guess no because the item says created by and a character name, not your account name. But that could be tracked behind the scenes I guess. That said, not sure why you'd effectively level the same crafting skill on two characters like that :P

To get hirelings on many characters for a steady supply of useful mats coming in each day. That's what I've done.
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭
    doing a single profession on 2 or more toons isn't all that bad of an idea....since crafting isn't reliant upon your character level and only upon the level of your crafting, you could use an alt simply to supplement your main crafter then when you are where you feel you need to be, delete the alt or use it as a mule for that crafts materials. There are many ways to make it efficient. Yours is an excellent way. This isn't AS efficient but it does have its short term benefits to get you going strong earlier.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for info Claude, i was wondering myself about armor/weapon inspiration bonus, and could not find any info about it. +1 Insightful for you mate, cheers.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • If you're wearing armor/weapons that give you bonus inspiration then you're doing it wrong. These items are worth more inspiration when deconstructed--they don't increase the gain of inspiration when worn. (same for the ones that are worth more when sold)

Oh. Em. Gee. Thank you so much for that tidbit. I honestly had no idea that's how it worked.

"A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭
    I had thought the inspiration gear was akin to the crafting gear in FF14...ty for clearing that up for me! Would you suggest using it toward the end of a crafting level to push you to the next level or any hints as to when the best time to use it is? I'm an efficiency nut!
  • claudekennilol
    claudekennilol
    ✭✭✭
    I had thought the inspiration gear was akin to the crafting gear in FF14...ty for clearing that up for me! Would you suggest using it toward the end of a crafting level to push you to the next level or any hints as to when the best time to use it is? I'm an efficiency nut!

I haven't been super studious about it, but it appears (definitely true with provisioning) that everything has a static amount of inspiration it's worth--so I would say it doesn't matter when you do it. Take that for what it's worth, though.