Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

No Crown Crate Gifting after so long- Why play anymore?

ShadowWolf44
ShadowWolf44
✭✭✭
Many people I know, to include myself, have more than one account, many for friends & family/children that come to visit & love to play, (On X-box here). Many of us gift them Crown Crates when they do. Now, we no longer can? Why is this happening, after not being an issue for so many years?

On top of this, a promise is made that "4 rewards are guaranteed". What they don't tell you, is that a "Blue" item is considered a reward. Many times I've spent money that took me a long time to save up, bought 15 crates with anticipation, only to get ALL blue items, and maybe one purple. Getting more using gold, was the only option that helped with the anger, confusion, disappointment that came with feeling robbed by this process. Now that's been removed. Why buy crates at all then? Moreover, why play the game at all, if something long-time players have come to depend on & use fairly often, is suddenly stripped from the game?

Couple this, with the insane business practice of ESO robbing players by only offering a tiny portion of crown gems, when we get duplicate items? And the answer to the above is, "We shouldn't continue to play the game". The game is supposed to be FOR players to enjoy & have fun in. We decide to invest our hard-earned money, (for the non-rich, of course)? Then we're BUYING a product from you, not playing to get ripped-off in some "gambling" process.

Here's what happened to me fairly recently: 3 Times I won an "Apex" award. NOT an easy thing to get.... problem? I already HAD that item. Instead of implementing a system where, when one of the top prizes are won, if the player ALREADY HAS THAT ITEM? You don't "reward" their "win", by giving them 130 crown gems, for a 400 crown gem item. Instead, they get the option of one of the mounts or items they DON'T already have.

What's worse, is this: The game RNG sees this as we've "won a top prize". So, for myself at least, I don't get ANY good "rewards" for months. I'm guessing because that Apex "win", is used in the formula. So how is THIS fair in any way, whatsoever?

And now y'all take away gifting crates, hurting those who are disabled, on fixed incomes, whatever- who can't make money like we used to do, and can now no longer use gold we CAN make in the game, to get what others can easily afford.

This is a real problem imo- And is why I ask the question- "Is this game really worth playing anymore", when something like this becomes an option for ESO.. for whatever reason.

Sad stuff.
  • Mithgil
    Mithgil
    ✭✭✭
    There's been ongoing issues with a bug that has led to an exploit where fraudulent activity was occurring. There is supposed to be a temporary fix rolled out onto PC for July 13 (tomorrow as I write this). And they've now had to shut down Crown Crate gifting on Consoles as well.

Try not to blame ZOS too much, they've been working on this. They can only say so much as too much info could lead to rampant exploitation of a problem like this. It's been a criminal element that's been exploiting this so they're the ones causing you the harm.

I even reported an account on PC NA that was advertising both Crowns and Gold for real-life money just the other day. Credit card fraud is often involved in the back-end of these RMT sites.

PC NA Yes, I use add-ons.
  • ShadowWolf44
    ShadowWolf44
    ✭✭✭
    Mithgil wrote: »
    There's been ongoing issues with a bug that has led to an exploit where fraudulent activity was occurring. There is supposed to be a temporary fix rolled out onto PC for July 13 (tomorrow as I write this). And they've now had to shut down Crown Crate gifting on Consoles as well.

Try not to blame ZOS too much, they've been working on this. They can only say so much as too much info could lead to rampant exploitation of a problem like this. It's been a criminal element that's been exploiting this so they're the ones causing you the harm.

I even reported an account on PC NA that was advertising both Crowns and Gold for real-life money just the other day. Credit card fraud is often involved in the back-end of these RMT sites.

That would be fully understandable. While there has been rampant speculation in-game about something going on, from all I could gather, consoles weren't involved too much - Then I tried "gifting"- and found it was totally removed. While people mentioned some of what you did, most seem to believe this is permanent, since no information has been forthcoming.

They really should have informed us if this is only a temp. thing, that they were dealing with it, and they'd soon be available again, once the problem was resolved.

I've never received anything of that nature, otherwise I'd of never posted. All I could find was the PC post. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for you response. More information than I've found on my own.
  • Nilandia
    Nilandia
    ✭✭✭

That would be fully understandable. While there has been rampant speculation in-game about something going on, from all I could gather, consoles weren't involved too much - Then I tried "gifting"- and found it was totally removed. While people mentioned some of what you did, most seem to believe this is permanent, since no information has been forthcoming.

They really should have informed us if this is only a temp. thing, that they were dealing with it, and they'd soon be available again, once the problem was resolved.

I've never received anything of that nature, otherwise I'd of never posted. All I could find was the PC post. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

They have posted about it less than a week ago, specifically about consoles.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/637779/crown-crate-gifting-fraudulent-activity-on-consoles/
  • kyatos_binarini
    kyatos_binarini
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree that disabling Crown Crate gifting has been a disappointment to many players. And communication with ZOS leaves much to be desired. But "Why play anymore?" is definitely an exaggerating of the problem. Crown Crates only provide cosmetic items that have nothing to do with reason to play.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Zenimax did inform us of the issue @Mithgil was mentioning. It is in the thread on the crown crate gifting issue that is pinned to the Dev Tracker section. Zenimax has made multiple comments in that thread to try to keep players updated.

They have also created a new thread that is pinned in the General ESO discussion thread as they have found the fraudulent issue is present on consoles and included an update on the implementation of a temporary fix for the PC servers.

They have informed us and have kept us updated.
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many people I know, to include myself, have more than one account, many for friends & family/children that come to visit & love to play, (On X-box here). Many of us gift them Crown Crates when they do. Now, we no longer can? Why is this happening, after not being an issue for so many years?

On top of this, a promise is made that "4 rewards are guaranteed". What they don't tell you, is that a "Blue" item is considered a reward. Many times I've spent money that took me a long time to save up, bought 15 crates with anticipation, only to get ALL blue items, and maybe one purple. Getting more using gold, was the only option that helped with the anger, confusion, disappointment that came with feeling robbed by this process. Now that's been removed. Why buy crates at all then? Moreover, why play the game at all, if something long-time players have come to depend on & use fairly often, is suddenly stripped from the game?

Couple this, with the insane business practice of ESO robbing players by only offering a tiny portion of crown gems, when we get duplicate items? And the answer to the above is, "We shouldn't continue to play the game". The game is supposed to be FOR players to enjoy & have fun in. We decide to invest our hard-earned money, (for the non-rich, of course)? Then we're BUYING a product from you, not playing to get ripped-off in some "gambling" process.

Here's what happened to me fairly recently: 3 Times I won an "Apex" award. NOT an easy thing to get.... problem? I already HAD that item. Instead of implementing a system where, when one of the top prizes are won, if the player ALREADY HAS THAT ITEM? You don't "reward" their "win", by giving them 130 crown gems, for a 400 crown gem item. Instead, they get the option of one of the mounts or items they DON'T already have.

What's worse, is this: The game RNG sees this as we've "won a top prize". So, for myself at least, I don't get ANY good "rewards" for months. I'm guessing because that Apex "win", is used in the formula. So how is THIS fair in any way, whatsoever?

And now y'all take away gifting crates, hurting those who are disabled, on fixed incomes, whatever- who can't make money like we used to do, and can now no longer use gold we CAN make in the game, to get what others can easily afford.

This is a real problem imo- And is why I ask the question- "Is this game really worth playing anymore", when something like this becomes an option for ESO.. for whatever reason.

Sad stuff.

This is why I never buy these Gamble Crates in any game. I once saw a guy spend nearly £1000 on SWTOR and never got the Chair Mount he was after. Never ever will I spend money on gambling boxes in games, not until they make ALL rewards cosmetic and once you get an item you can't get that one again so eventually you get everything by buying X amount of boxes if unlucky. But spending £100 on grates and getting 90% potions etc is beyond a joke in a game with £40 expansion £9 subs, £75 Houses etc.
    Edited by Adam_Chattaway on July 20, 2023 3:24PM
    I was once Banned for making a game criticism. Think about that.
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad stuff.

No reason to quit the game, just don't ever buy any crowns or participate in the crown store.
  • shijian452
    shijian452
    ✭✭✭
    I bought "WILD HUNT CRATE *46", "Iron Samurai *30", "Dwemer *30" in total, and none of the mounts or items worth more than 400 gems appeared in these boxes. All I have is this money, but no surprises. The rule of the crown treasure chest in this game seems to be that the longer the player plays, the lower the probability of obtaining high-quality items. I have played more than 5500 hours, and my account seems to have no surprises unless I invest more money. This game made me experience the feeling of spending money without surprises.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play the game because it's fun and not for the crown crates( loot boxes).