The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Thoughts on the characterisation of Hermaeus Mora in Necrom (spoilers)

netch_a_sketch
netch_a_sketch
✭✭✭✭
Allow me to preface this by saying you are completely entitled to disagree with me, this is simply my own opinion and perspective

(First I'd like to note that the voice acting by Wes Johnson is incredible and this is in no way a criticism of his fantastic performance)

In the latest expansion, I was slightly thrown off by how Hermaeus Mora is portrayed in the main quest. Despite the fact that his realm is under attack, fabrication of reality being threatened etc, I thought he came across as a little desperate, emotional and scared compared to his past portrayals and the responses of other daedric princes when they are under threat.

Rather than an incredibly powerful, impartial and all-knowing god that has been around for so long that he has likely witnessed much worse disasters, he seems to act more like a damsel in distress and doesn't really have as much presence in the quest line as I'd expected.

It just seems odd that the player character being The Chosen One once again 'because fate' was a little lazy. I think Hermaeus Mora could have had a little more control of the situation whilst still requesting help from the player. After all he oversees the tides of fate so he doesn't really have a reason to be so panicked.

From such a logical character it seemed odd that he was so frightened and emotional, usually conflicts between princes seem kind of like sibling rivalries. Even Scruut seemed slightly unbothered.

As for the rest of the main quest, I loved the characters, but felt the story was a little bit boring.

Anyway, that's all from me, just something that bothered me a little. Feel free to disagree.
  • CamelhairNerve
    CamelhairNerve
    Soul Shriven
    I'm reminded of D&D Lore.

The Aboleth have perfect genetic memory going back immeasurable ages. There is only one thing that bothers them. The "Illithids" (the Undercommon name for them, lit. Mind Flayers in Common) just appear in history. The Aboleth have no memory of the Illithids arrival, just that they weren't there and then they were. It's not even like a sudden appearance. It's like they didn't exist, and suddenly, they always existed. It's a paradox in their memory.

The Aboleth know history with such detail that it could be happening right now, but there's an aberration (heh ironic) in their perfect memory that causes them a level of distress.

Back to Tamriel...

HM is in a situation that should have been foreseen. How that happened will probably come up in one of the next parts of the story.

Come many ages later in the days of the single-player campaigns, HM will not be caught off-guard again. We'll find out why, I'm certain.
    Don't mind me. I never do.
  • prof-dracko
    prof-dracko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allow me to preface this by saying you are completely entitled to disagree with me, this is simply my own opinion and perspective

(First I'd like to note that the voice acting by Wes Johnson is incredible and this is in no way a criticism of his fantastic performance)

In the latest expansion, I was slightly thrown off by how Hermaeus Mora is portrayed in the main quest. Despite the fact that his realm is under attack, fabrication of reality being threatened etc, I thought he came across as a little desperate, emotional and scared compared to his past portrayals and the responses of other daedric princes when they are under threat.

Rather than an incredibly powerful, impartial and all-knowing god that has been around for so long that he has likely witnessed much worse disasters, he seems to act more like a damsel in distress and doesn't really have as much presence in the quest line as I'd expected.

It just seems odd that the player character being The Chosen One once again 'because fate' was a little lazy. I think Hermaeus Mora could have had a little more control of the situation whilst still requesting help from the player. After all he oversees the tides of fate so he doesn't really have a reason to be so panicked.

From such a logical character it seemed odd that he was so frightened and emotional, usually conflicts between princes seem kind of like sibling rivalries. Even Scruut seemed slightly unbothered.

As for the rest of the main quest, I loved the characters, but felt the story was a little bit boring.

Anyway, that's all from me, just something that bothered me a little. Feel free to disagree.

He's panicked because he can't see the threads of fate. He mentions a few times that he feels blinded, and it's shaken him. Basically an entity that's never had to deal with uncertainty being forced to face it for the first time. It does make his behavior more understandable. Especially when you remember part of the plot is recovering memories he removed from himself. Once he has those back he does feel much calmer and in control again.
    As for the "Fated Chosen" thing, I feel that might just be some Mora bs. He'll say whatever you need to hear to get you working for him.