The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Being able to dps as ranged from spawn without needing to get down is bad design

EnOeZ
EnOeZ
✭✭✭✭
This game is not thought after melee characters.
What can we do ?
Just finished a powerball game, purple team won thanks to that...
2, 100% melees in our team.
And a very good dps that we just cannot shut down, ball holder under his feet of course.

Please remove the ability to dps or heal from above or give melee characters a ladder.
Otherwise do not advertise "play the way you want" ZOS.
Thanks.
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    don't fight near spawn?
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst that can happen is when the enemy team camps at your team's spawn.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t spawn camp and it won’t be a problem for you.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EnOeZ wrote: »
    And a very good dps that we just cannot shut down, ball holder under his feet of course.
    don't fight near spawn?
    Reverb wrote: »
    Don’t spawn camp and it won’t be a problem for you.

Did y'all read the original post? If your enemy is holding the Chaos Ball and camping under their spawn, then you can either go and try and get it back or I guess you could "not spawn camp," and just sit in your base and wait for the loss.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the people that hang out up in their spawn to DPS only do so because they're squishy. The solution is to blow them up while they're still up there, or deal enough damage so that they back off.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This occurrence has to be extremely rare though. To have ranged DPS hiding in spawn that actually do enough damage to worry you... While 1 person holds the ball, alone on the ground, and can't be killed?

Shoulda sold out to secure the kill in my opinion. Get the ball out of their spawn and everything might've been different.

There were 3 teams in this game, right? Not just two? It's hard to imagine this happening very often at all.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @OBJnoob I'm guessing this occurred in the arena map (Ald Carac?) where you can bring the chaosball into a room below your spawn point and the opposing teams have to go through a narrow hallway to get in. Its almost a lock if you can achieve it as you can support the ball holder and range attack anyone who tries to come in to get the ball.

The other arenas don't put the spawn point close enough to the gameplay area. Mor Khazgur is close, but you can chain down the noodle DPS hiding up top. Either way, its rare and you have to be coordinated enough to get the ball and bring it to your spot to pull off, unless the other teams are too busy pretending its Deathmatch...
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @El_Borracho Oo, good thought. Yes that sounds about right. I've definitely had that dilemma before in that spot. It IS lame to be able to shoot out of spawn-- probably shouldn't be allowed. Then again, on the same map, if you walk out that same hallway and enter the arena proper the same exact thing can happen and you're still helpless against the ranged DPS on the 2nd floor. So. To a certain extent it's just part of it, right? But I do agree that all the factors combined (Chaosball mode, being literally in spawn,) make it pretty lame.

There are two narrow walkways that lead out of spawn directly to the 2nd floor if you don't feel like jumping down. If the DPS stood on the walkways instead of the actual spawn would the experience be any different? I guess that's my point. Or non-point. :)
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @OBJnoob I think you have a better chance from the second floor to attack the players at the spawn point, but its still very difficult to attack the ball holder. When I've done it, I park in a corner on the same wall as the hallway leading in. Nobody from the hallway or second floor can target you and you can get direct line of sight heals from the spawn point.

If an enemy makes it past the ranged DDs and jumps in, they're likely going to get melted from AOEs and the ultimate the ball holder has waiting for them. But that's not even the worst part, as you will still probably not get the ball even if you were successful in killing the ball holder.

The real advantage is that one of the DDs up top should be prepared to jump down and take the ball when the ball holder is near death, then rinse-repeat as the original holder held the ball so long the respawn is very short.

Its the toughest map for Chaosball, even against a group that has 2 players on the same page. But with all 4, forget about it.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to make spawn basically the same as Imperial city immunity. You're immune to damage and also can't deal damage.

There's actually 0 reason you should be in a position to deal damage and also not take damage from players in a PVP environment. You should either be in the combat, or not. You shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too.

It's fair, if you choose to stay in spawn, you can let your team lose the game. If not, you should put on boots on the ground.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like being able to fight up there which helps prevent spawn camping, but I've definitely seen the issue you describe of that area becoming the perfect place for glass cannon ranged fighters to sit while their tank or two sits on the chaos ball below.

Maybe the issue could be mitigated by environmental AoEs that dramatically increase the damage taken from the chaos ball or something when standing too close to anyone's spawn point while holding it?
    Edited by Nebs on October 26, 2023 8:31AM
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, warden gate skill can pull people down from the spawn points in IC and in other situations.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    how about just spawn everyone on the first floor and give 3-5 seconds immunity?
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    The better fix: Don't allow Chaosball near your team's base. Put a similar glowing firey wall like before the match starts, except if a chasoball holder walks through it they vaporize. This keeps spawncamping away, and forces true chaos and engagement from all teams. It's kinda like opposite of capture-the-relic (in principle) anyway.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree w op it’s poor game design

not really much of a threat, but stupid and pointless