The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

umm so how exactly do i find motifs?

aldlv13
aldlv13
like are they randomly generated with a very low spawn rate or static in the environment?
"Altmer. They act all high and mighty until you leave them in a pool of their own blood." -Blademaster Owyn
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are random drops, or you can get them from trading with a player who has one.
    ----
    Murray?
  • aldlv13
    aldlv13
    oh so can i only get certain ones in certain places or could i get any motif from any given alliance's city?
    "Altmer. They act all high and mighty until you leave them in a pool of their own blood." -Blademaster Owyn
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get any motif from anywhere, not just cities. They can be in crates, dressers, trunks, dead bodies, etc.
    ----
    Murray?
  • aldlv13
    aldlv13
    all right thank you so much :)
  • slander36
    slander36
    ✭✭✭
    Check in chests (non-locked), desks, cabinets, and end tables. These are the only places I've ever found them. They have a VERY low drop rate, less than 1% I would say, but you can find them if you look hard enough. If you're dead set on getting them I would suggest raiding an entire city of their houses, logging out, then logging back in and looping through again, assuming you got a different phase than before and the chests/desks/etc. aren't instanced specifically to you.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check every bookshelf, dresser, desk, trunk, etc... You may find them for purchase at a guld store. You may also find someone willing to trade.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    A follow-up question: I was told that containers were player specific (someone can't come in a raid an entire city leaving you nothing). But twice yesterday, I entered a house after someone else left and all the containers were empty.

Are we sure that content is specific to the player?
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • slander36
    slander36
    ✭✭✭
    The containers are specific to the player. However, this does not mean that they aren't already empty. If you've played any previous TES games think back to how many times you accidentally opened an empty container and got angry at that 0.5 seconds of game time you lost.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've been playing TES games since Morrowind. You're correct, I testing this today by entering a building, leaving, exiting the game, and re-entering after reload. I must have been having bad luck.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...