Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Level 21, doing orange quests and failing.

Madae
Madae
✭✭
Stop reading just the OP and nothing else.
Edited by Madae on April 5, 2014 7:22PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    You get xp for exploring and opening treasure chests. It could be you've just been 'on rails' too much. This game really encourages (through what you're running into) exploration and variety.

You also get xp for any kind of 'map unlock' conversations you have with npcs. An early example of this is an argonian female in the Davon's Watch tavern - she will update your map with both other faction dungeons and in doing so you get some xp progress. There's no indication outside just walking up and talking to her of the existence of these options - so who knows what else is hidden out there.
    Edited by Shimond on April 1, 2014 2:33PM
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    And PvP....
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    You get xp for exploring and opening treasure chests. It could be you've just been 'on rails' too much. This game really encourages (through what you're running into) exploration and variety.

Yes, but I've explored a lot of things. I even went to Bangkorai and explored that entire zone. I have every waypoint there, and all in Stormhaven, Glenumbra, and now I'm in Ravenspire constantly getting killed by orange quests and things 3-4 levels higher than me.
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    And PvP....

Yeah, I'm so glad someone had to be cute and say that. Thanks.
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    I'm killing level 25 things and getting, more or less, 200 exp... out of 25480 required to level... This is going to take forever.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Madae wrote: »
    Kyosji wrote: »
    And PvP....
    Yeah, I'm so glad someone had to be cute and say that. Thanks.

Couldn't help myself, sorry.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Madae Sorry I noticed you didn't mention Stros M'kai or Betnick. There seems to be a bunch of stuff you missed. If you see an area of any map without a marker, there is a good chance you missed something. I'm guessing a ton of side quests.

Edit: a good way to check this could be to hit your "J" key to pull up the journal and click the top right icon for achievments. Scroll down to Skyshards and look at the areas you mentioned. Also look for the quest achievments for each area you mentioned.
    Edited by Casdha on April 1, 2014 3:35PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    @Madae Sorry I noticed you didn't mention Stros M'kai or Betnick. There seems to be a bunch of stuff you missed. If you see an area of any map without a marker, there is a good chance you missed something. I'm guessing a ton of side quests.

Edit: a good way to check this could be to hit your "J" key to pull up the journal and click the top right icon for achievments. Scroll down to Skyshards and look at the areas you mentioned. Also look for the quest achievments for each area you mentioned.

I did Stros M'kai and Betnikh.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    L21 already. You should probably try and get eight hours of sleep and then try again. Seriously.
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to ride down every road before leaving a zone and watch for quest markers and get discovery XP. If this is done your quests for the next zone should be within a couple levels of your level.

If this does not work, then I find that strange.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get achievments for each zone by completing a percentage of each areas quests. Or is it discovering areas, or both. I'll check when I get home if someone hasn't filled this in by then.

• Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    I did find some quests I missed in Stormhaven... but only 3 or so. I'm still 2 levels lower than I probably should be, and only because I farmed Dreughs for 30 minutes.
  • Keisxe
    Keisxe
    ✭✭
    Go to Cyrodil and explore there. There are plenty of pve quests and places to explore. Do the siege intro quests. PVP is not the only thing to do there.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the achievment section there is one for quests, if you open it it should tell you how many you have completed. It keeps a running total and hands the achievements out in tiers. How many does it show for completed. Also I can't remember what the name is but don't continue to go east from Stormhaven you will skip the mid level 20ish stuff and go directly to the mid 30ish stuff.

• Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    I crossed the 100 quest mark somewhere in Rivenspire or whatever that is.
  • moXrox
    moXrox
    ✭✭✭
    When I was lvl 8 I could still find some single lvl 5-6 quests which i missed....strange.

Are you sure you did do all quests ? I cant imagine this game forces us to play lvl 24 content when you are only lvl 21.

And by the way, when you are lvl 21 already how are you questing ? It seems like you are rushing through the content, without reading anything and therefore I would not be surprised you did miss a lot of the content including quests.
    Edited by moXrox on April 1, 2014 5:17PM
    Music Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCQHvIypA0v70w4uu_ej8wyg/featured
    Tolkien Fantasy Music, Medieval, Pagan & Nordic Music Style
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also not sure, but 8 on one sounds like a mini dungeon which are geared for two or more players at level. They are harder than public dungeons but can be soloed, but don't hold a candle to group dungeons which are all but impossible to solo.

• Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    moXrox wrote: »
    And by the way, when you are lvl 21 already how are you questing ? It seems like you are rushing through the content, without reading anything and therefore I would not be surprised you did miss a lot of the content including quests.

Not reading anything and doing all the quests I can find are rather mutually exclusive. I explore every nook and cranny of a zone that I can find or remember to do. With exception to Stormhaven and those 3 quests I missed, I haven't found anything else.

And Casdha, that quest has 2 or 3 other npcs that fight with you... except they're terrible at it and everything rushes me instantly.
  • eonowakb16_ESO
    eonowakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    An even if you have to fight 8 Skelletons, why not group to do it. You could play with someelse, should be possible in a onlinegame
    Jerak Arenreth - legendär in Glenumbra - legendär überall
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    This is still a problem.

I have a friend who started playing 3 or so days ago (not sure if he had 5 day or 3 day HS). It's been going pretty slow for him, as he's only level 14, and he mentioned to me that he was not been enjoying the game that much, and that he had no clue how I had got as high as I am (I'm 24 now, though I was 21 3 days ago and lagged behind because of a business trip). He's in Stormhaven now doing things that are above his level.

Here is the issue I see; there is not enough content, or it's not streamlined enough that you know where to find it. You literally have to look over every single zone to make sure you're getting everything, and while that is not a problem for some people, it CAN be a problem to others, as you can clearly see in the above example. It's not that there may not be enough content (or maybe there is, I would lean slightly towards this), it's that finding it can be a chore, and new players are going to start running into a wall where they think they've done everything they can, and yet they haven't, and they'll get frustrated because it's not as easy as other games.

Yes, people will argue this game isn't supposed to be like other games. Some people might even claim they like the difficulty or that they have no problems at all. That's fine and dandy, but those people are not OTHER people, who will run into this issue and get fed up with the game.

In my case, I made it to 21 before I started having problems. I've been practically forced to grind creatures in an area, running in circles just killing everything. I do this because I need to, but also because I may as well work on my crafting skills as well while I wait for my friend.

I enjoy this game, and I will continue playing it... BUT, I can see where this game will have a problem holding on to some players BECAUSE of the difficulty in finding content that it seems to create. Again, OTHERS may be ok with this, and they may not find any issue; whether because they do other things to raise their level, or for some reason they've not had an issue following the same path I did (which boggles my mind).

Bottom line is this; whether or not your hardcore community wants to agree with it, there IS an issue here, and that issue is some players may not find content easily enough to do. If people like doing quests and only doing quests, that's what they're going to do. If they start running out of options and finding themselves lagging behind, there's a problem and this game will lose those players... and that's not good for them.

An EASY way to fix this potential issue is to create some sort of notice on the map that can show you where you've visited and what content is still available... say, an overlay of an area appears highlighted when there are quests available in that spot, or something that would provide some exp.
    Edited by Madae on April 5, 2014 6:59PM
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    And also, I forgot to thank you Casdha for sending me that info. I haven't used it, but I still appreciate the thought... this is something else worth noting, though; the game should be relatively simple enough that you shouldn't have to do research to advance. There are players that will do this, and then there are players that won't do this. Your hardcore crowd will, the softcore crowd just looking for a good time in a good game probably won't. That is not their fault. The game should do enough to tell you where to go when needed. It's not "holding their hand", it's giving them the opportunity to find things without having to go somewhere else for that info, which they won't do to begin with.

This game, and all games, should be about fun. It shouldn't be a job, it shouldn't be overly difficult. If you want that kind of game, that's great, but games like that (ie niche) do not make the money a game that does these things will. It's really simple; if this game is going to be successful in the long term (and I fear for it), it's going to have to do more for the player so they don't have to go out and do it. They are not stupid, they are just not as interested in being a hardcore player like you.

This is why World of Warcraft was as successful as it was. People knock it because they think it was too easy, but it's also the best selling western MMO ever. It deserves to be recognized as a game that did what it did well - to attract and hold on to a vast majority of players from all different walks of life. If ESO wants that money (and I would conclude that most developers who make games HOPE it does as well), this game is going to have to go that extra step.
    Edited by Madae on April 5, 2014 7:09PM
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    The game is trying to tell you to explore more :P I was level 24, close to level 25 before completing Stormhaven, and I still have yet to finish all the quests in Glenumbra. I also have only done quests thus far, no pvp. It isn't that difficult to systematically explore zones, or look for gaps in your map that they may require further exploration. This game is not going to hold your hand entirely, put a little bit of thought into how you're exploring, and be aware of the places you're passing. The only way the content will outlevel you is due to potentially bugged quests, otherwise I've stayed right with the level requirements for quests.
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    Xionar wrote: »
    The game is trying to tell you to explore more :P

And some people don't WANT to do that, or backtrack when they've hit that wall. That makes them FEEL like they're going backwards, which is not something you want the person giving you money to feel.

It's not about the difficulty, it's about the game not doing enough to make sure you do everything in a zone so you're prepared for the next. And it's EASY to miss quests in this game, or some tiny cubby in the corner of the map.

Again, Xionar, I appreciate your opinion, but you are NOT every person in the world, so your experiences and how you feel about doing things is inconsequential. We're not talking about you - we're talking about those that are NOT like you.

If this game wants to survive off the hardcore crowd, that's fine. I have no problem with that. I enjoy it, I will stick with it, but I rue the day when it comes around that this game starts losing it's initial surge of players because it DIDN'T take that extra step to help those of a certain mind advance in this game.

I want this game to succeed, but my gut is telling me that it's going to have a hard time doing that if it doesn't make some small and necessary changes to make it that much easier for people that are not like you or me.
    Edited by Madae on April 5, 2014 7:18PM
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    My husband is having that problem too, but I don't understand it. I'm always 1-2 levels ahead of where I should be, and debating whether to skip some of the quests I found and move ahead.
    I can only assume you aren't exploring enough; you say you did, but "having all the wayshrines" doesn't mean you aren't missing quests. Go to parts of the map you haven't thoroughly explored and look for questgivers; many of them don't have breadcrumbs leading to them (and I'm one of those who likes it that way).
    Have you done the guild questlines up to your level? The main questline?
    Edited by Melian on April 5, 2014 7:19PM
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    Melian wrote: »
    My husband is having that problem too, but I don't understand it. I'm always 1-2 levels ahead of where I should be, and debating whether to skip some of the quests I found and move ahead.
    I can only assume you aren't exploring enough; you say you did, but "having all the wayshrines" doesn't mean you aren't missing quests. Go to parts of the map you haven't thoroughly explored and look for questgivers; many of them don't have breadcrumbs leading to them (and I'm one of those who likes it that way).

OP has been edited, because this is not about me. You read the first post and nothing else. The issue is further along now.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    This is a discussion board, if you're posting on a discussion board, people will post that disagree with your opinion. If you wish to give your opinion to Zenimax without people that disagree with you, use /feedback ingame. Otherwise...expect differing opinions on your thread. I've never once had an issue with keeping up in level, doing only PvE things, while not remotely doing everything available to me in every single zone. If you wish to not explore thoroughly, you will need to find other means to acquire exp, such as grinding. Having to explore is by no means "Hardcore".
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    Xionar wrote: »
    This is a discussion board, if you're posting on a discussion board, people will post that disagree with your opinion. If you wish to give your opinion to Zenimax without people that disagree with you, use /feedback ingame. Otherwise...expect differing opinions on your thread. I've never once had an issue with keeping up in level, doing only PvE things, while not remotely doing everything available to me in every single zone. If you wish to not explore thoroughly, you will need to find other means to acquire exp, such as grinding. Having to explore is by no means "Hardcore".

Hello, this isn't about you. I don't mind your opinions, but you're completely missing the point.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭

OP has been edited, because this is not about me. You read the first post and nothing else. The issue is further along now.

How rude. Actually, I read the whole thread, and as the first sentence of my post indicates, I recognize that you aren't the only person who has trouble finding quests. The issue is not "further along", in spite of your post where you completely dismiss those who like the system as it is, even though people like you are free to look up lists of quests on the internet, which almost certainly already exist.

Edited by Melian on April 5, 2014 7:24PM
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭
    How rude. Actually, I read the whole thread, and as the first sentence of my post indicates, I recognize that you aren't the only person who has trouble finding quests. I read your post where you completely dismiss those who like the system as it is, even though people like you are free to look up lists of quests on the internet, which almost certainly already exist.

And you still haven't read everything. If you had, you'd know that I'm not talking about myself anymore and I'm not asking for your advice on what to do. I KNOW what to do.
    Edited by Madae on April 5, 2014 7:26PM
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Madae I did read everything. Newsflash: people can read your posts and still disagree with you.
    Edited by Melian on April 5, 2014 7:27PM