Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why is Azandar so ugly?

SpiritKitten
SpiritKitten
✭✭✭✭✭
I love his dialogue, but he is hideous to look at. Please let me change/dye his hair at least, or put a helmet on him, because his face is so yuck, too. It is way past time for us to be able to put a helmet on our companions.

Ember, Isobel, Sharp, and Mirri for example are beautiful. Bastian is somewhat good-looking. So why such an ugly companion in Azandar even tho he is super interesting with his dialogue and quest and has arguably the best perk? I WANT to hang out with him, but he makes me cringe when I catch sight of him.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 30, 2023 11:32PM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're all ugly and their heads look like Mr. and Mrs. Potato head collectibles.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Also, why does all companions have to be "beautiful"?

I do want the option for headgear to them, though. But not becuase of this but because it makes no sense they can't.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on June 28, 2023 9:07PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Daiyanae
    Daiyanae
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed! Reminds me of Oblivionites ;)
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    If four companions are beautiful and one is somewhat good-looking, then it's about time we got some ugly representation, not that I see it. And who says you have to be pretty to become an arcanist with a house in Cipher's Midden? Hermaeus Mora?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why such an ugly companion in Azandar even tho he is super interesting with his dialogue and quest and has arguably the best perk? I WANT to hang out with him, but he makes me cringe when I catch sight of him.

So you choose your friends by their looks?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • flaxegg
    flaxegg
    Soul Shriven
    IDK, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't think he's especially ugly. Not any worse looking than Bastian or Isobel, anyway. And it's not like Sharp and Ember are actually conventionally attractive anyway, they're just lizard/cat people so it's hard to judge their "attractiveness" imo lol

TBF even if he was ugly, I personally wouldn't mind. Being able to have their helmet showing would be nice in general though.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's not particularly ugly, he's just old.

OH OK I SEE WHAT'S GOING ON HERE :grin:
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i personally find bastian kind of ugly and his personality and voice is grating lol

on and unrelated note i also want companions to be able to have headgear too
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuse you, the man is a silver fox.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you hate your grandpa?
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I think he's fairly decent looking myself. In fact I don't think any of the companions are bad looking actually.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who's spent WAY too long in the character creation screen, studying ideal face dimensions, taking screenshots and measuring ratios (forehead-eyes-chin, nose-lips-chin, etc) I can tell right away that Azandar's eyes are slightly smaller and closer together than the average face. Whether this makes the character ugly is subjective.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on June 28, 2023 10:45PM
    PC NA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, give the man a break. He's old. He probably was pretty attractive when he was young (yes, Redguard is my favorite race though I don't play the males); I know the feeling.... when I was young I had all the men I wanted. Of course, now in my mid 70s (and having been married for nearly 50 years) my husband - the only man who counts - still thinks I'm gorgeous even though I know I'm not from looking in my mirror.

I think Azander looks like a fine speciman of older male. I'm not into messing with the companions, but I wouldn't call him ugly (and if I WAS into messing with companions, he'd be my first choice).

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    woww this is a weird post.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Azandar seems well-designed visually to me. His story is compelling and his looks match his personality and story. I would take that over him being "hot" or whatever the OP might be looking for.

But I'm biased—MY Azandar looks great because I put him in a great outfit.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • ellmarie
    ellmarie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's ugly, but there is something about his eyes. He just looks like in a constant state of fright or worry or something.
    Xbox X- NA
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whats with people calling others ugly? First Isobel’s eyebrows and now Azandar. Not everyone has to look attractive to every person who lays eyes on them. They only need to look good enough for themselves. Of course, personal opinions don’t exist with NPCs but if you can call an NPC ugly with your whole chest, I bet you can call a real person ugly as well. And to me, well, that’s just not okay.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i personally find bastian kind of ugly and his personality and voice is grating lol

on and unrelated note i also want companions to be able to have headgear too

I find Bastian kind of attractive for a companion character and his voice is my favourite of all the companions...which feeds in the rest of my response really: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One person's gorgeous is another person's "meh". You really can't please everyone. It always reminds me of the comments you see about actors/models who are generally considered very attractive - there's always someone confidently declaring that these people have eyes that are too small, their jaw is too wide or some other thing most don't notice.

I actually think it's good that there's a variety of male companions and look forward to seeing some female characters who aren't young and classically pretty to add to that variety.

Edited by Treselegant on June 29, 2023 12:13AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Azandar is handsome. On the other hand I find Bastian homely, and a lizard just looks like a lizard.
    PCNA
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love his dialogue, but he is hideous to look at. Please let me change/dye his hair at least, or put a helmet on him, because his face is so yuck, too. It is way past time for us to be able to put a helmet on our companions.

Ember, Isobel, Sharp, and Mirri for example are beautiful. Bastian is somewhat good-looking. So why such an ugly companion in Azandar even tho he is super interesting with his dialogue and quest and has arguably the best perk? I WANT to hang out with him, but he makes me cringe when I catch sight of him.

He's so old he farts dust.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azander isn't ugly. At least, not by ESO's standards. He's just older. I definitely prefer his look to Sharp's look.

preview-19.jpg
    https://xynodegaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/preview-19.jpg
    bEMBDigKxwi9HRdemS5eqORNRT2VRRE4Cw1nZcH7.jpg
    https://eso-hub.com/storage/guides/bEMBDigKxwi9HRdemS5eqORNRT2VRRE4Cw1nZcH7.jpg
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 29, 2023 12:28AM
  • elocinsere
    elocinsere
    ✭✭
    I don’t think Azandar is ugly at all. I do view him as a father figure type for my arcanist character. Irl I’m a woman in my mid forties and I think physical attractiveness is subjective. Honestly, personality counts for more imo. Bastion for example, is physically okish looking, but I find his personality grating.
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care how he looks, I just want him to stop farting when he gets on my dual-rider mount.
    PC - NA
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm okay with not finding my grandpa attractive.

I also wouldn't call Azandar ugly. Not that he needs to care what anyone thinks of his appearance when his acumen (magical and otherwise) is so spectacular.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, a couple of misconceptions are happening here. I'm not looking for sexual or romantic attractiveness in a companion. I am however looking at artistic aesthetics. This is why the 'beast' race companions can be beautiful and are.

Azandar doesn't look right. Someone mentioned his eyes are too close together, this might be true. His hair is a mess. Probably the texture quality of hair on some hairstyles in this game. But something seems off. His appearance irks me.

Okay on another note, I guess I didn't fully realize he was actually an old man, so that explains the wrinkly face. I just thought he liked to complain a lot as a character quirk. I didn't think he was REALLY that old. I just thought the devs were trying to make him look rough.

Anyway, as soon as I get the account-wide perk, I'll probably retire him. He's old and needs to retire anyway, right?

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try being a bit less shallow. :| Liking him as a person is enough, and you even admitted as much.
    Edited by ArchMikem on June 29, 2023 3:47AM
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Try being a bit less shallow. :|

Yeah. As someone old (mid-70s, wrinkles and creaky body) married to someone even older (nearly 90, wrinkles and creaky doesn't even begin to describe husband's movement issues).... IF I were into companions, Az would be my choice.

All y'all young things.... wait until YOU are in your 70s and older.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    that does not make your post less weird. he just looks like a person to me. specifically an old black dude with locks

and "artistic aesthetics" irks me.

he looks like a person and he doesn't have to look "right", whatever that is in your head.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    that does not make your post less weird. he just looks like a person to me. specifically an old black dude with locks

and "artistic aesthetics" irks me.

he looks like a person and he doesn't have to look "right", whatever that is in your head.

lol he's an NPC in a video game, maybe don't be so serious?
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Try being a bit less shallow. :|

in a video game, I'll be as shallow as I want about NPCs, since I have to look at them. It's my game experience, not yours.
This discussion has been closed.