The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lockpicking seems more approachable than it did in beta

silent88b14_ESO
silent88b14_ESO
✭✭✭
I'm seeing a significant improvement in my ability to lockpick chests over what it was in beta. It was very discouraging before, but apparently every tumbler you do manage to lock in place ticks up your skill because I am not breaking fewer picks and opening some chests at long-long last. How has it been for you?
Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    For me it is about the same, haven't notice anything different between locks of similar levels. Found a lot of chests during beta, and got efficient enough at it to the point that I can pick a lock in around 6-10 sec.
  • kram0789
    kram0789
    Lock picking is way too hard. Much harder than in Skyrim. Why would you screw up a great game by making it unnecessarily harder?
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree it is harder, but as I said it is easier now than it was in beta, at least its seems so to me. Keep at it! I found that practice makes all the difference even though it can become expensive in terms of lock picks.
  • Wildflower1
    I just figured it was my learning curve improving. The chest rewards are worth the patience it takes to keep at it. Now just wish there were more pick drops in game!
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it's easier. You're just getting better at it. Keep trying guys, you'll get it. I love for this game for having a difficulty in which you will not succeed first time, every time :smile:
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a lot easier to me. I've never failed! Might just be practice, since I was in beta for a while, too.
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
  • SilkyBlueCoral
    SilkyBlueCoral
    Soul Shriven
    It's way better than Beta for me. I noticed it gives you more time, in Beta you had 1 chance per tumbler and you couldn't take your time or make a mistake. I find it easier now because I can take my time figuring out how to set each tumbler.
  • GrundelWolfe
    GrundelWolfe
    ✭✭
    I found that I was able to pick them better when I used the right mouse click to press them down, and the left mouse click to lock them in place. Some people were suggesting the opposite way, but this way worked better for me.
  • SilkyBlueCoral
    SilkyBlueCoral
    Soul Shriven
    I only ever use the right click. Hold it down until you see the start of a wiggle, then let go. If you go to early or too late then change your next attempt to line up better. Most times you won't break a pick unless you go way to far.
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about that. Seems the same as it did in beta. My only problem is when I roll a new alt, I forget to hook him up with lock picks.
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • toatsmcgoats
    Yeah more lock pick drops in the world would make this a bit easier. Maybe include more picks in each locked chest.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite skyrim mods allowed me to craft lock picks. I believe that would be a nice little addition.
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah more lock pick drops in the world would make this a bit easier. Maybe include more picks in each locked chest.

You can buy lock picks, and they aren't that expensive.

It seems the same as it did in beta.

I have found that in all bu the easy ones, by the time you see the slight wobble it is already too late, so you end up trying again and anticipate where the wobble is going to start. The problem is with the expert ones where you only have 10 seconds. You don't have time to give each pin a second go, and lock picks break in the middle about half the time, making every other attempt a complete waste. Those need to be given more time.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh i love the lock picking on this game. It brought back the Oblivion Lock picking and once you get the hang of it you will rush through them like its nothing. I play a thief type on oblivion and skyrim, and i played a lot of oblivion before i was able to get on eso so the lock picking is more simplistic for me then those who have only played skyrim. I hope they do not convert it to skyrim because....will i could pick a master lock with lvl 10 lock picking in under 10 seconds only because i knew the system on there as well. it was never a challenge to me oblivion i have had a few "crap" moments where i broke countless picks. On ESO i have broke a few from time to time but not many
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    I'm level 15 and have 90 lock picks, so don't think they are very rare. :)
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
  • DJ_Pandatripp
    DJ_Pandatripp
    ✭✭✭

Loot everything and you will find lockpicks EVERWHERE. I have over 180 picks already. Trust me, they are out there, you just have to look for the picks.

Gyra Lothbrok Norb DK
    Siggy Haraldson Imperial Templar