Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Gold Sellers- we need a better report system

• Tabia
    Tabia
    Megaonev1 wrote: »
    Seems like rather than ignore a character name, you should be able to ignore the user account. What stops them from just creating a new character with a different name?

When you ignore the character, you are ignoring the account. It will show their account name: Ignored in your chat window.
  • Magikarp
    Magikarp
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, a more simple menu that will report as spam as well as put on the ignore list at the same time would be lovely.
  • pjt15253
    pjt15253
    ✭✭✭
    I built an addon to automatically add gold sellers to the ignore list. It's available at http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info89-SpamFilter.html - or will be once the ESO servers go back up and esoui.com stops getting flooded.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pjt15253 wrote: »
    I built an addon to automatically add gold sellers to the ignore list. It's available at http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info89-SpamFilter.html - or will be once the ESO servers go back up and esoui.com stops getting flooded.

Isn't it better to report them then just ignore them? "One can not cure Cancer by saying it is not there."

• Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • pjt15253
    pjt15253
    ✭✭✭
    True, but you can still report the spammer just as easy (if not easier) than if you didn't auto-ignore them. Auto-ignoring stops the flood of messages they tend to send out that makes it very difficult to figure out the name to ignore/report.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like rather than ignore a character name, you should be able to ignore the user account. What stops them from just creating a new character with a different name?

When you ignore a player, the game automatically ignores the entire account for you. If you watch the chat window you will notice the message indicates a name other than the player is being ignored. The name displayed in this message is the account name.

• mctaylor
    mctaylor
    I reported over half a dozen player on Monday, but only two requests were acknowledged, so I assume the rest were not acted upon.

Hopefully today's (Tuesday afternoon EST) server maintenance will include gold farming URLs and text in their chat "profanity" filters.
  • moXrox
    moXrox
    ✭✭✭
    Aha...

Was it one of the first "LVL 50 CHARACTERS" ?
    Music Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCQHvIypA0v70w4uu_ej8wyg/featured
    Tolkien Fantasy Music, Medieval, Pagan & Nordic Music Style
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    Most every MMO currently running has a single-action that both reports the user specifically for spam and ignores them; I applaud most of the ways that ESO has made itself distinct from other games, but this is one standard that they should have adopted.
  • Lamprey
    Lamprey

Unless it has changed, you do ignore the account.

• Lamprey
    Lamprey
    The OP is approaching this from the wrong angle. It shouldn't be up to us players to do the job of ZoS. ZoS, needs to do implement something. Since this is the NNNth thread on the topic, maybe you have missed the other people talking about how good other MMOs are at filtering this stuff out. I'm guessing ZoS will get there. However, posting these nonsense threads isn't going to help much with the flood of other issues they need to deal with.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised to see so many gold farmers so early. The game doesn't even launch until Friday!

Even most F2P games have much better gold spam suppression than this one, and it's one of the few left that you have to pay for! Zenimax needs to get with Blizzard to see how it's done. You never see a single gold spammer in WoW, ever. Or they need to learn from Sony Online Entertainment: In nine years of playing Everquest 2, I've never seen a single gold spam post, ever, and that game has been F2P for years now.

Please get with it, Zenimax. This isn't some F2P Korean grinder like Lineage 2 or Aion, etc. Please don't turn out to be another NCSoft: not only do they let their games get overrun with macroers and gold farmers/spammers, but they have tremendous lag because of it, making for two constant problems instead of one!
    Edited by Thesiren on April 1, 2014 8:16PM
  • RubyTigress
    RubyTigress
    ✭✭✭
    spinedoc wrote: »
    What I wonder, is how did they farm gold already? Or are they exploiting somehow?

I actually suspect they are looking to skim off financial info from their marks. It's not that hard to make gold in game, but it's not THAT ridiculously easy.

• RubyTigress
    RubyTigress
    ✭✭✭
    pjt15253 wrote: »

I love you. Marry me.

• Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Lamprey wrote: »
    The OP is approaching this from the wrong angle. It shouldn't be up to us players to do the job of ZoS. ZoS, needs to do implement something. Since this is the NNNth thread on the topic, maybe you have missed the other people talking about how good other MMOs are at filtering this stuff out. I'm guessing ZoS will get there. However, posting these nonsense threads isn't going to help much with the flood of other issues they need to deal with.

People who talk about MMO's doing a good job of filtering this out typically don't know what they are talking about in my opinion.

I've seen this type of spam in every single MMO I've ever played that has basic chat features.

Most companies are reluctant to allow a computer to attempt to filter it because the servers themselves will take a huge performance hit if they have to parse and filter the chat messages of several hundred thousand players in real time.

Filters have to be kept fairly simple to prevent the servers from being bogged down quickly when there are potentially millions of chat messages transmitted each day. Finding individual key words for things like a profanity filter are fairly simple and don't hit the server performance hardly at all, but if you tried to make a filter that was this simple for the gold seller spam you would end up getting more false-positives from real players using those key-words.

Even systems like the one Star Trek Online uses aren't ideal. In STO if ten players report a player within X amount of time for spamming chat, then that player receives automatic action from the game in the form of a temporary ban from public chat. While in theory this seems like a great way to deal with this type of problem, it ended up being a nightmare because a group of ten players, or even a single player who multi-boxes 10 accounts, could use this feature to report any player they wanted and effectively ban them from using public chat even if they aren't spamming the channel. While this system was effective at stopping spammers, it did so by creating a way for players to grief other players in terrible ways by exploiting the rules.

A computer making decisions on who is a spammer and who is not is typically a very bad idea though because there will always be players who attempt to exploit these "rules" in creative ways to punish other players for no reason beyond their own personal amusement.
  • TirielsWhisper
    TirielsWhisper
    ✭✭✭
    So I have been reporting spam bots since yesterday. This is what I got in my mail today:
    Greetings Adventurer!

Many thanks for opening a portal to the Elder Scrolls Wizards! We are sorry to hear that you are having these problems.

It appears that you are reporting a spambot, can you please let us know this users name, and we will investigate immediately!!

Hopefully this will solve your problems, brave warrior! If it doesnt let us know, and we will battle hard to get you back on your adventure path!

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Are you flipping kidding me? I reported the name, sent you a screenshot, and you need me to find the USERNAME for you?! WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK. This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spinedoc wrote: »
    What I wonder, is how did they farm gold already? Or are they exploiting somehow?
    @spinedoc
    I actually suspect they are looking to skim off financial info from their marks. It's not that hard to make gold in game, but it's not THAT ridiculously easy.
    Yeah, i also suspect they're actually fishing for your account or CC info and are not interested in in-game gold selling at all ...
    :(
  • Lunachik
    Lunachik
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, most of these are likely phishing scams, and not actually 'gold sellers'. I am one of the those folks who turn off zone chat and /yell and never look at those, except in PvP areas, when its necessary. I've done this in every MMO I've played. Sadly, just like trolls, they come w/the territory it seems.
    **Mara's Moxie * The Sidekick Order * Azura's Guidance *Hallowed Holes of Tamriel **
  • PointMaid
    PointMaid
    ✭✭

• PointMaid
    PointMaid
    ✭✭
    It would be awesome to have "ignore account" as an option! Not just for gold spammers, but for obnoxious children who believe Chuck Norris and *** jokes are acceptable zone chat subjects! It can always be reversed if they grow up!
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    you do ignore account when you ignore.
  • Tabia
    Tabia
    As previously posted in this thread a few times, when you ignore a user, it ignores that user account and all associated characters already :)
  • ninjajucerb14_ESO
    Yesterday some intrepid gold seller made it so that when you went to scroll up to ignore them, the pagination of the chat system in its default arrangement would never reveal the name of the seller. You had to actually go into settings to change the font size to a small enough margin that you could see his entire post on one "page". Very tricky that one.

Most people just tend to ignore them since it seems to go by account and not individual names. Eh.
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    I find all the players WTS in zone chat way way worse than gold sellers.
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    Jaamonliu wrote: »
    I understand how annoying this gold system is, but like other MMO's. This gold system is not going away. Look at world of warcraft, they still have people spamming gold here and there. Having them make new characters over and over and over again which does not help what so ever. Like everyone says, "ARGH! its getting really annoying." It really takes away the fun factors of the game where people can just farm and trade instead of buying gold with real money and purchasing multiple items...

It's gone in EverQuest when they brought the ability for people to get platinum for loyalty tokens, and people to buy Kronos straight from SoE that are tradeable and sellable on the Market board to other people. No middle man needed.

Viable options.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • jmmonnat_ESO
    There are already bots in place. Yesterday I reported a group of four similarly-dressed toons standing right ontop of each other, attacking at regular intervals (even if nothing was there to attack) in Inner Sea Armature. There was one mob that spawned there, but players in the zone usually grabbed it first. Two had 'normal' names, the other two were just random letters.

And yeah, I've maxxed out my Ignore list on the third day. We need a bigger list! lol
    Edited by jmmonnat_ESO on April 3, 2014 1:24AM
  • Waylon
    Waylon
    Paks_ESO wrote: »
    To make reporting easier on us, I would love to see options added to right click that lets us select report gold sellers, spammers, or bots. The action would send a screen, chat snip, and account info straight to a team that just handles gold sellers/botters/spammers who could then take immediate action.

I concur with your suggestion, the Gold Farmer need to be dealt with quickly and the WTS stuff is equally painful.
    Edited by Waylon on April 3, 2014 1:29AM
  • Uncle_Bob
    Uncle_Bob
    ✭✭
    They're too busy chasing people with inappropriate userIDs to deal with pesky gold sellers
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waylon wrote: »
    I concur with your suggestion, the Gold Farmer need to be dealt with quickly and the WTS stuff is equally painful.

We need a trade chat available but regardless for some reason people will still use zone chat