Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

My character "drifts" when running sideways

Bo0137
Bo0137
✭✭✭✭
I can't explain it exactly, so I recorded a video. When walking forward, holding "a" or "d" will make my character literally drift, like a car or something. It seems like his feet are slippery.
I've noticed this very same thing on the PTS using the same character but back then I thought it was a PTS bug.
Here is the footage: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WfEer7KyHcmxVlm8xgQ1bOOsr3mXqUxN/view?usp=sharing
Please help... even though it's funny I don't want this to run forever.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 6, 2023 1:30PM
-On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched you video, and yes that's really a funny bug.

Now we need a racetrack, where you get points for chained drifts :smiley:
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for posting this with the video, @Bo0137. We'll pass this along to the team now.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Bo0137 Are you playing from a PC or Mac?
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

A M2 Macbook Air!
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you think additional info like jewelry, traits, champion points would help you out? What about checking the other characters on my account?
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey @Bo0137. After following up with the team, we do have some info. So currently, ESO does not support ARM based Macs, which the M2 Mac falls under. We suspect this is tied to the issue, as a few other reports have come in about this issue. We are trying to investigate if it is specific to ARM based Macs or Mac with Intel chips as well. We have passed this on to our teams. However with ARM based Macs not having official support, it may take a while to investigate this issue. We'll update if we have any other updates.
    Staff Post
  • MachineGod
    MachineGod
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with ARM baed Macs or even Mac's as a whole, this can happen even with PC based hardware and this issue has been in the game for years.
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Bo0137. After following up with the team, we do have some info. So currently, ESO does not support ARM based Macs, which the M2 Mac falls under. We suspect this is tied to the issue, as a few other reports have come in about this issue. We are trying to investigate if it is specific to ARM based Macs or Mac with Intel chips as well. We have passed this on to our teams. However with ARM based Macs not having official support, it may take a while to investigate this issue. We'll update if we have any other updates.

Hi Kevin! Thanks for the info! I will try logging into my Windows PC. It might help, right?
  • boramil
    boramil
    I see this same thing, especially when I am on a mount. Intel based Mac here.
  • nibbles2
    nibbles2
    Soul Shriven
    I'm seeing this on my M1 Studio, macOS 12.6.6 Montery,
    and on my Intel Macbook Pro (2019), macOS 13.4 Ventura.
    • Sliding as if on ice began with Patch 38 (playing a few years).
    • The issue is significantly worse when mounted.
    • The detailed ballet of blood that is Vateshran, especially that meadow with the poison mushroom, shucks.
    • Toggling my Settings -> Gameplay -> Foot Inverse Kinematics I noticed has no effect since Update 38.

My gut tells me it's a run time bug seeing as FIK is wonky also.
    I'll offer a bounty to the individual who fixes it.
    My muscle memory is suffering, please you guys.
    It makes me dizzy.
  • beng
    beng
    ✭✭
    Exact same drifting problem here. Mac Mini M2 16Go Ram
    iMac mid 2011 - 2,5 Ghz Intel Core i5 - RAM 12Go - AMD Radeon HD6750M 512Mo - OS X 10.10.2
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! I just wanted to inform you that yes, indeed, Windows PC doesn’t have this bug. I logged into my father’s PC and it was all good. I will try relogging back into my mac.
    Also, could you investigate this issue further? Since it’s been confirmed it’s not ARM Mac exclusive. Intel Macs also have this same problem
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My characters often slide but more after a knockback in combat. This has happened on both PlayStation and PC but I put it down to 300+ ping. It's extremely annoying, because you can't react until you stop sliding.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Suffolk
    Suffolk
    Soul Shriven
    I'm on an Intel Mac and have the same issue. It's like fighting on ice when no one else is and especially bad mounted. Coming across enemies in PvP always means being at disadvantage. Hoping this can get fixed soon.
  • misterdog
    misterdog
    Soul Shriven
    I have this problem on an Intel Mac and an M1 Mac
  • hypatian
    hypatian
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having this problem on an M1 Mac. The problem was not noticeable before Necrom—I'd been assuming it was just a thing that happened when the server is more loaded. Feels a lot like server and client getting out of synch and then re-synching.

It also seems to be related to me being unable to interact with things periodically when moving quickly, which can be solved reliably by roll-dodging.
  • Its_Leon
    Its_Leon
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem here with mac m1
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been experiencing this on the PTS and now on live since the chapter release. I have an intel based mac. Trying to turn while sprinting is nearly impossible, I just slide around and crash into things. It seems to get stuck sliding forwards or diagonal instead of turning as much as intended.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All, just wanted to follow up here. We are investigating that after the increase in Intel Mac users noting they are running into this issue as well. Thanks for the feedback here! We'll update when we have more to share regarding a fix.
    Staff Post
  • Xuderis
    Xuderis
    Soul Shriven
    MachineGod wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with ARM baed Macs or even Mac's as a whole, this can happen even with PC based hardware and this issue has been in the game for years.

Can you link to a documented example of this happening on a Windows machine? Because everyone here so far is using a Mac, myself included.
  • Twig_Garlicshine
    Twig_Garlicshine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Intel mac here, experiencing also.
    I feel like I'm skiing or Tokyo drifting.

Kind of hope it doesn't get fixed. ;)
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fkey wrote: »
    Intel mac here, experiencing also.
    I feel like I'm skiing or Tokyo drifting.

Kind of hope it doesn't get fixed. ;)

I sense a elderscrolls theme meme going on...
    The Tokyo drifting should be a new animation feature for the whole game and not only for Mac users. Make it a feature and not a bug. Let's also make videos of the characters drifting and put in the Initial D Deja vu song to it.
  • Xuderis
    Xuderis
    Soul Shriven
    I wanted to point out that eso.live.9.0.6.2699128 2023/06/14 did not fix this issue for me.
  • jlane38ub17_ESO
    I've been having the same problem in the same timeframe, since Necrom. It's noticeable while running, moreso when mounted, much moreso when sprinting when mounted - a lot like driving a racecar in sand, the drifting is ridiculous and noticeable by others on PCs running alongside in Cyro who aren't having the same problem. As much fun as it can be at times, it really needs to be fixed please. Thanks! I'm on a Mac Pro running macOS Monterey 12.6.7.
  • misterdog
    misterdog
    Soul Shriven
    This was fun for a while but now it is really impacting my capacity to play the game. It is a considerable disadvantage and I am sick and tired of literally falling into the sea.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes think I feel a much lesser version of this drifting effect when I'm playing on my PC, but it's only a tiny fraction of how it feels when I'm playing on my MacBook. Still speaking of PC, it just feels like a tiny bit of slippage or skidding, which is most noticeable when running or riding fast. It's so slight that it's easy to miss, but I think maybe my experiences on MacBook have made me more sensitive and attentive to it.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    This is mostly noticable when FPS drops and you have a high runspeed. Trying to make the curves in Vivec City towards the crafting turn ins on the docks is excruciating. I was able to do this blindly from muscle memory but now end up in the water 9 out of 10 times.
  • duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    Same here (and even worse when sprinting on a mount) on Intel Mac. Feels more like high speed motor boating then something with contact to 'Mundus' firma. The drift is absolutely annoying and near unplayable for mounted & sprinting, still very bad without sprinting and still annoying when running on your own feet and sliding sideways at every turn.
    Or is this the ice-road season in Tamriel?
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gnesnig wrote: »
    This is mostly noticable when FPS drops and you have a high runspeed. Trying to make the curves in Vivec City towards the crafting turn ins on the docks is excruciating. I was able to do this blindly from muscle memory but now end up in the water 9 out of 10 times.

If I'm mounted and riding at full speed, I release the SHIFT key before I start to turn. Riding is more cumbersome that way-- press and hold SHIFT, release SHIFT, press and hold SHIFT, release SHIFT-- but at least it's easier to control my mount.

If you have CP perks slotted that boost your or your mount's movement speed, try deslotting them to see if it helps.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!