Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Arcanist skill lines not leveling equally with same # of skills equipped

Wavek
Wavek
✭✭✭
On my Arcanist I have 1 skill from each line equipped. I equipped all 3 at the same time and have had them equipped the whole way so far. Currently Curative Runeforms is level 25 and the other two lines are 19. I have no 2nd weapon yet so it also is not a weapon swap issue.

This isnt how it normally works so must be some kind of bug specific to this class.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed something similar but thought I was going crazy. For me, the healing line levels the fastest, followed by the damage line, followed by the tanking line.

This was with the same number of skills of each line on bar, and without any class ultimate slotted.
  • gabbo1928
    gabbo1928
    ✭✭✭
    I'm seeing the same thing and was coming here to report it. I have two Arcanists (one mag, one stam), and on both of them I have one skill from each class skill tree slotted. This usually results in them leveling up equally, but on both of them Herald of the Tome and Soldier of Apocrypha are leveling evenly, while Curative Runeforms is pulling ahead. I'm not sure which is the "right" pace, so it could be that one is fast, or the other two are slow.

If it makes any difference for bug tracking, one is an Argonian in Ebonheart Pact, and the other is an Imperial in Aldmeri Dominion. They're both level 11, with the first two class trees at 12, and the 3rd at 14. So far, they have only unlocked & slotted the first skill in each line, and I noticed the disparity before choosing morphs.
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue as well, used writs to power level with only 1 from each in at any time and the healing line zoomed right past the others
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember it being the same with Necro. One of the skill lines slightly lagged behind.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing seems to be happening to me. Even though I put my first point into Herald of the Tome and second into Curative Runeforms, never slotting more than one CR skill at once while always having one or more HotT skills slotted, CR is now substantially ahead of the other class lines.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have had 2 skills slotted from HoT, 1 each from SoA and CRF.

Skills levels are now HoT 18, SoA 14, CRF 17.

Somethings off.
    PC EU
  • harvey07
    harvey07
    ✭✭✭
    same with me. i had one dps skill slotted for a while then added one healing. the healing is way ahead of the dps which i was using much longer. i think almost 2 levels higher and i have not it slotted as long.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Please take a look at this thread. I have noticed the same thing on my Arc
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey all! Thanks for tagging. We have passed this thread on to the dev team for their review and investigation. We'll follow up once we have more info.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder is this, in fact, a "bookshelves skill book" issue? Are there skill books that give +1 to class skills and you just happen to have read one or two on random bookshelves?

[EDIT] Nope, it isn't that. Sorry, my mistake.
    Edited by jle30303 on June 7, 2023 6:11PM
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this as well, especially the soldier line took much for me even tho I had multiple skills equipped.
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    I wonder is this, in fact, a "bookshelves skill book" issue? Are there skill books that give +1 to class skills and you just happen to have read one or two on random bookshelves?

[EDIT] Nope, it isn't that. Sorry, my mistake.

When you read a skill book for class skill it levels all 3, not just one. It is possible a bug could cause it to level just one and not all 3, but I hadnt found all 6 books yet as of the post I made (I got more after that point) and I was already 6 levels difference (and it got bigger after that point).

Essentially I was getting about the same exp as having 2 skills slotted even though I had 1.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this as well, especially with the Herald of Tome. I have three of them equipped, and only two of the Curative, and the Curative is outpacing the HoT skill line. :(
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Mrfroggy
    Mrfroggy
    for some reason the soldier of apocrypha skill line seems to gain xp and level much much slower than the other skill lines . I really hope this gets looked at soon.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than what's already been reported, it appears the "Curative" skill line gains faster XP... and in fact... I reached level 49 last night in it. I checked the current XP for Curative and the bar towards level 50 was pretty much at the start of the skill line. I decided to swap in the ultimate ability for Curative to max the skill line faster... so I added the ultimate... and my Curative progression XP bar jumped half-way up!! This shouldn't happen just by slotting a skill, and I had never even slotted that ultimate before so I had zero progress on it. So just by slotting Curative's ultimate I gained half a level of skill line experience... something isn't right.

@ZOS_Kevin Please be sure to pass this along as well, because XP gain on Arcanist is definitely bugged.

Oh, and there is another funky thing going on with XP gain in general, and has been going on for quite some time. At level 34, your character suddenly LOSES XP percentage and it takes a few levels to get back to the same percentage you were getting at level 33. Having leveled several characters in the last couple of months, I've noticed it happening and yesterday finally narrowed it down to WHEN during progression this occurs.
    Edited by ADarklore on June 12, 2023 10:51AM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @ADarklore Is the XP drop specific to lv. 33 in your case? Just want to clarify before passing the feedback on.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    @ADarklore Is the XP drop specific to lv. 33 in your case? Just want to clarify before passing the feedback on.

Yes, it always drops once I hit level 34 on all the characters I've leveled. I knew it was early 30's, and past two characters I kept a closer eye, and confirmed last night that it was definitely once I reach level 34.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin
    The reason I know specifically is that I level all my characters doing dolmen runs in Alik'r, so it's easy to see when you complete a dolmen what your current XP gain is. So up to level 33, my XP gained from completing the dolmen kept going up with each level increase, until level 34, then it dropped. So it's quite noticeable if you're paying attention. :) And no, it wasn't a loss of XP scroll or any other change... as I've seen this occur with every character I've leveled for quite some time.

Thanks again for passing this along.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Currently my levels on Arcanist is HoT is 50, SoA is 16, CR is 35 just letting everyone know that the skills will level fast if you run that role. I have ran on the DPS role alot as you can see. Now I have turned to the healer and it is starting to level up and yes then I will run the tank. If you are trying to run all three then get ready because it will take along time to level all three at the SAME time.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    madman65 wrote: »
    Currently my levels on Arcanist is HoT is 50, SoA is 16, CR is 35 just letting everyone know that the skills will level fast if you run that role. I have ran on the DPS role alot as you can see. Now I have turned to the healer and it is starting to level up and yes then I will run the tank. If you are trying to run all three then get ready because it will take along time to level all three at the SAME time.

It doesn't take THAT long. Even running three HoT, two CR, and one SoA, the CR line was still only roughly six levels ahead of HoT by the time it hit level 50 and SoA was roughly 12 levels behind CR. This with running 50% XP scrolls and doing dolmen runs to level.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

See attached images that I took tonight while leveling my new Altmer Arcanist and compiled them together. Note that these were all done with a 50% XP scroll running. As you can see, once I hit level 34 the XP gain dropped substantially and it takes several levels to reach what I was gaining at level 33. This is not a NEW bug, it has been ongoing for several months at the very least, perhaps longer. The only reason I noticed is that I've been leveling and deleting a lot of characters over the past couple months and noticed it.

4uatzyst0you.jpg
  • Rakshu
    Rakshu
    ✭✭
    You are traveling too much :)

It seems that after you use wayshrine, you will get the same amount of skill xp as you got, into Curative Runeforms skill line, other skill lines are unaffected. Didn't test quest xp, but it works for kill xp and discovery xp.

So, for example, if you get 240 xp from kill, you will get 70 "skill" points into all 3 skill lines equally (1 skill from each on your bar), then use wayshrine and travel somewhere else (different zone), you will get silently another 70 skill points into Curative Runeforms skill line.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakshu wrote: »

It seems that after you use wayshrine, you will get the same amount of skill xp as you got, into Curative Runeforms skill line, other skill lines are unaffected. Didn't test quest xp, but it works for kill xp and discovery xp.

So, for example, if you get 240 xp from kill, you will get 70 "skill" points into all 3 skill lines equally (1 skill from each on your bar), then use wayshrine and travel somewhere else (different zone), you will get silently another 70 skill points into Curative Runeforms skill line.

Just an FYI, this has nothing to do with MY recent posts because it has nothing to do with skill line advancement and everything to do with XP gain in general. The above pictures were XP gained from completing the dolmens, and as you can see, the dolmen completion XP drops once you hit level 34, and I'm assuming this is XP gain across the board and is completely unrelated to Arcanist as I've experienced this on all classes I've leveled the past few months.

I think there is something wrong in the XP gain level coding and it starts at level 34. This means that we have either been getting too much gain from level 1-33 or that we are getting shorted on XP from level 34 and above.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well I noticed the difference between skill line leveling.

I've make a chararcter arcanist and started dolmens farm from lvl4 to lvl12.
    with 1 skill of each skill tree in my bar.
    curative skill line increased faster than others, even with only 1 skill in bar and 2 skills from others, curative skill tree was faster
    Edited by Xarc on June 17, 2023 11:54AM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "Death is overrated", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xarc wrote: »
    Well I noticed the difference between skill line leveling.

I've make a chararcter arcanist and started dolmens farm from lvl4 to lvl12.
    with 1 skill of each skill tree in my bar.
    curative skill line increased faster than others, even with only 1 skill in bar and 2 skills from others, curative skill tree was faster

Yes, this IS a thing. Curative levels faster with fewer skills equipped and Tomes levels slower with more skills equipped and poor Soldier lags behind both.

However, on leveling my second Arcanist, I learned that slotting THREE Tome skills, two curative and two Soldier... the Tomes line stayed pretty much ahead of Curative, but barely... while the Soldier was still several levels behind both.
  • Rakshu
    Rakshu
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Just an FYI, this has nothing to do with MY recent posts because it has nothing to do with skill line advancement and everything to do with XP gain in general. The above pictures were XP gained from completing the dolmens, and as you can see, the dolmen completion XP drops once you hit level 34, and I'm assuming this is XP gain across the board and is completely unrelated to Arcanist as I've experienced this on all classes I've leveled the past few months.

I think there is something wrong in the XP gain level coding and it starts at level 34. This means that we have either been getting too much gain from level 1-33 or that we are getting shorted on XP from level 34 and above.

Just an FYI, this has nothing to do with THIS post because it has nothing to do with skill line advancement. If you have an issue with leveling in general, start new topic. YOUR POSTS ARE OFF TOPIC (btw is starts at level 7 - you have descreased xp gain, then at lvl 8 is back to normal).

Issue with Curative Runeforms leveling is that if you change zone, you get once again all skill points, that you got so far, so in Alik'r desert, if you farm dolmen and then change zone, you get extra point to your Curative Runeforms line tree.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI, this has nothing to do with THIS post because it has nothing to do with skill line advancement. If you have an issue with leveling in general, start new topic. YOUR POSTS ARE OFF TOPIC (btw is starts at level 7 - you have descreased xp gain, then at lvl 8 is back to normal).

Issue with Curative Runeforms leveling is that if you change zone, you get once again all skill points, that you got so far, so in Alik'r desert, if you farm dolmen and then change zone, you get extra point to your Curative Runeforms line tree.

Well, I figured since Kevin responded to my post in this thread, that I'd continue to post my findings on the other issue here as well, instead of starting a whole different thread... this way anyone who sees my original post on the XP topic could see those findings as well.

Not sure what you mean about level 7 and back to level 8. The image that I posted, the top was level 35, then it goes down to level 28 at the bottom. So from the bottom up, you can see my dolmen XP from level 28-35. The number next to the dolmen name is the character level, the percentage next to that is my character level progression, and then comes my inventory space %.
    Edited by ADarklore on June 17, 2023 2:38PM
  • Rakshu
    Rakshu
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Well, I figured since Kevin responded to my post in this thread, that I'd continue to post my findings on the other issue here as well, instead of starting a whole different thread... this way anyone who sees my original post on the XP topic could see those findings as well.

Not sure what you mean about level 7 and back to level 8. The image that I posted, the top was level 35, then it goes down to level 28 at the bottom. So from the bottom up, you can see my dolmen XP from level 28-35. The number next to the dolmen name is the character level, the percentage next to that is my character level progression, and then comes my inventory space %.

Didn't test it now, but I think last year, when I was leveling, I noticed this (xp is from discovering places, not kills etc)

Level - Discovery XP
    3 - 74
    4 - 76
    5 - 81
    6 - 84
    7 - 67
    8 - 86

And new topic would be better :)