The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Another update where the Cyrodiil "Stuck in combat" bug is not fixed

LonePirate
LonePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
We have complained about and reported the Cyrodiil stuck in combat bug for ages and it is still not resolved with the Necrom release. Seriously, what does it take to get this bug fixed? Do I need provide a walkthrough to the three remaining ESO developers so they finally can see the bug for themselves? Does ZOS need to hire a developer who specifically works on PVP issues given that they only work on PVE nowadays? Is there any chance of getting this bug fixed in our lifetimes or should we abandon all hope?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dropping a link to a comment I made in 2018 saying that I had no confidence that the devs were going to be able to fix it. Gina replied that they had a good idea what the problem was (is?) but “it’s complicated”.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5634097/#Comment_5634097

Almost 5 years ago
    Edited by Reverb on June 6, 2023 2:41AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Mansquito
    Mansquito
    ✭✭✭
    Abandon all hope, it's definitely not ever getting fixed.

A tip that works a decent amount of time, but not so much when lag is absolutely crazy, is to use an invisibility potion or one of the alliance health pots. Go invisible, then crouch, wait for a few seconds after the potion effect is finished and you should be out of combat. This works 100% of the time 75% of the time.

But I do agree, the lack of acknowledgement and action is beyond disappointing. Such an easy quality of life amendment and it's just constantly ignored.
    Edited by Mansquito on June 6, 2023 2:27AM
  • Atrael7
    Atrael7
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Dropping a link to a comment I made in 2018 saying that I had no confidence that the devs were going to be able to fix it. Gina replied that they had a good idea what the problem was (is?) but “it’s complicated”.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5634097/#Comment_5634097

Almost 5 years ago

This really puts things into perspective. :|
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny that people are still expecting this to be fixed. The bug has been in the game for over half a decade - not sure why anyone still actually expects it to be fixed.

If they knew how to fix it, it would've been fixed by now.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny that people are still expecting this to be fixed. The bug has been in the game for over half a decade - not sure why anyone still actually expects it to be fixed.

That was exactly my point in the comment I linked. If they were capable of fixing it, it would be fixed. That was true then, when the issue had been around for years, and it’s doubly true now.

It’s just something we have to live with, permanently.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    now I'm sad :'(
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That was exactly my point in the comment I linked. If they were capable of fixing it, it would be fixed. That was true then, when the issue had been around for years, and it’s doubly true now.

Depressingly true, it seems.

One ray of hope remains, though. Gina did say in the patch notes that they would "...keep any large scale changes out of the Chapter update...", so maybe fixing this problem qualifies as a large scale change and it's still coming.

Not gonna bet money on it, though.
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭

Here's how these things work in corporations: they receive a customer complaint. They investigate and see if they can replicate it. They pinpoint the problem and develop a plan to fix it. THEN they have to come up with a budget of personnel hours and costs, and they send it over to the money guys. The money guys do a cost/benefit analysis, and if they decide that it's too expensive to fix compared with the forecasted revenue fixing it will bring in, it's a "no". And they have to find another way to deal with the issue.

In this case, they appear ro have decided that the way to deal with the issue is to pretend it's a mechanic, not a bug.

How many armor/weapon/jewelry sets have they released in the last few years where the tool tip says "while you are in combat" ?

Now they've released an entire new class where allegedly some of the skills proc from being in combat. (I say "aleggedly" because I take this assertion from the way I interpret past patch notes - and my interpretation is often wrong)

It's now a feature, not a bug.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that link from 2018, previously I had thought that ZOS had never acknowledged that this was a bug. If your faction is not locked, an easy fix is to go into Cheesemongers or IC and come right back. That always cures the in combat bug.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Tribune
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Tribune
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • afkpro
    afkpro
    ✭✭✭
    dude, i hear this was a problem back in the game's original release (2014). it's not getting fixed. it must be something zos would have to dramatically overhaul to fix.

maybe now that they are dedicating 2 quarters of the year to game improvement and a new feature instead of new dungeons, quests and zone...it may finally get fixed. it's a really big maybe though.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has done diddly squat for PVP since they added the Hammer which really made pvp worse IMO! we have received NOTHING new in PVP and probably will not until the game actually dies and is buried.... Its more important to give the community something that was not asked for, The Arcanist, than to give the PVP community anything but empty promises..

When ZOS breaks things in PVP it will take them weeks, months to fix but when something in the crown store is not working as intended it gets patched immediately.. You see the cash cow is in the crown store, NOT PVP..

Great ideas from multiple streamers who loved the game and probably understood the mechanics of the game better than ZOS were just buried under the carpet and left..

PVP is unfortunately the UGLY step sister who ALWAYS get pushed into a corner and forgotten....

I love this game mostly I love PVP but zos just does not care about the PVP community.. Proven year after year of not getting any changes to anything..

PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean, I know what causes the bug, so surely ZOS do? It's when you damage someone who remains in combat.

So you hit a guy at a keep or whatever, go your separate ways, you stop fighting, he fights in a tower for 15 mins, you'll be in combat that entire time.

What makes me laugh is when the game doesn't know if you are or not.

Yesterday I had it where I was in a fight at roe, finished fight, couldn't mount. Ran to Nik, same thing. Ran to blast to die. Spawned back at a keep, ran out of door - you cannot mount while in combat. WHAT? I died FFS.

I also get it a lot where I can still travel at wayshrines between keeps but not mount.
  • accidentalist
    accidentalist
    ✭✭
    No comment.
    Edited by accidentalist on November 11, 2023 5:44PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, it seems even death doesn't free you from being "stuck in combat" these days...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stuck in Combat now happens in PvE.

Kill a mob, can't sheath weapon or collect from a node. :/

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get recall stones removed from the check if you're in combat check? I get the point you're not supposed to warp out of combat, but it takes several seconds to actually use.

Agreed. Also, mounting takes a few seconds to call for it and actually go through the process.
    I truly do not understand how a company, if it wants to keep its customers happy and retain these customers, can allow this to go on for so long, especially with the knowledge of how frustrating and aggravating it has been for many of us. I am not tech savvy in the least, so perhaps there is a good reason that I am not aware of. However, if they would just release mounting from combat altogether, we would have the opportunity to mount, with the possibility of being either stunned, etc or knocked off our mounts entirely by another player.
  • Panderbander
    Panderbander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So on my arcanist I've yet to get stuck in combat, even falling out of combat DURING combat. Everything else I've played has been getting stuck lol.
    Leader of Lycan Syndicate, PC NA's tri-faction werewolf guild.~~~Played since the beta, got the monkey.~~~"The blood of the pack is now yours. They are your only family, your only allegiance!"
  • Titanium
    Titanium
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this so hard to fix? We should get fully purged of any negative effective to get unstuck from combat when:
    1. We die and resurrect by player or at any transit shrine
    2. We travel to any home base
    3. We travel from transit shrine to transit shrine

The quick fix for us now is to travel into the Cheesemonger's Hollow. But when the server is full, good luck trying to get out, or you will need to queue in again, sometimes with a 45m+++ wait time.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Titanium wrote: »
    Why is this so hard to fix? We should get fully purged of any negative effective to get unstuck from combat when:
    1. We die and resurrect by player or at any transit shrine
    2. We travel to any home base
    3. We travel from transit shrine to transit shrine

The quick fix for us now is to travel into the Cheesemonger's Hollow. But when the server is full, good luck trying to get out, or you will need to queue in again, sometimes with a 45m+++ wait time.

I've found that if I enter Cheesemonger's then IMMEDIATELY turn around and return to Cyrodiil I won't get stuck there, no matter the queue. and the combat state will still be removed. That's just my experience though, so don't blame me if you get stuck.
  • Titanium
    Titanium
    ✭✭✭
    Workarounds are not fixes. After 8 years of putting up with this, you realize that developers do not play this game, especially PvP. If developers really play this game, we would have basic stuff fixed, and the UI workflow would be very much improved. For example, the new "fillet fish" option at the provisioning station. Who would put that as the first option? What isn't it "hold down X to fillet multiple fish" from the inventory (as opposed to filleting fish by fish previously).

Last night, I was stuck in combat for over 30 minutes, just because I had tapped a tower runner. Do we get frustrated? Yes. Do we have a workaround? Not really when the keep is flagged or resource locked and you cannot travel to the cheesmonger's to cleanse. What are we supposed to do?
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Titanium wrote: »
    Workarounds are not fixes. After 8 years of putting up with this, you realize that developers do not play this game, especially PvP. If developers really play this game, we would have basic stuff fixed, and the UI workflow would be very much improved. For example, the new "fillet fish" option at the provisioning station. Who would put that as the first option? What isn't it "hold down X to fillet multiple fish" from the inventory (as opposed to filleting fish by fish previously).

Last night, I was stuck in combat for over 30 minutes, just because I had tapped a tower runner. Do we get frustrated? Yes. Do we have a workaround? Not really when the keep is flagged or resource locked and you cannot travel to the cheesmonger's to cleanse. What are we supposed to do?

Buy more crown crates.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    waiting-bored.gif
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    I nearly always submit a bug report when stuck in combat (so a lot), by the time I'm done ranting about it the problem has often fixed itself. :D But joking aside, if we want zos to give this problem a higher priority than it has now, bug reports are the only tool we have. Companies don't use forum complaints to determine how many customers are affected by an issue. They're more of a (subjective) way to guess how much of an impact an issue has on the image of the product/company, not the end user. The number of incoming support tickets on the other hand is a factual number they can use to set priorities, and even if they don't, there comes a point where assigning people to fix the problem is less expensive than assigning them to go through all the bug reports...
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loosej wrote: »
    I nearly always submit a bug report when stuck in combat (so a lot), by the time I'm done ranting about it the problem has often fixed itself. :D But joking aside, if we want zos to give this problem a higher priority than it has now, bug reports are the only tool we have. Companies don't use forum complaints to determine how many customers are affected by an issue. They're more of a (subjective) way to guess how much of an impact an issue has on the image of the product/company, not the end user. The number of incoming support tickets on the other hand is a factual number they can use to set priorities, and even if they don't, there comes a point where assigning people to fix the problem is less expensive than assigning them to go through all the bug reports...

I've submitted dozens of tickets over the years that this bug has been present (5 years? Longer?) and if anything it's gotten worse in that time. I'm pretty sure ZOS files it under, "Yeah, we know" and ignores it, because they either aren't able to fix it, or just don't care, or maybe don't even see it as a bug.
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't say I'm hopeful that it will make a difference, just that it's the only tool we have.

I'm pretty sure that given how long this bug has been around, most players don't even bother with submitting tickets anymore. Every player submitting a ticket every single time for all those years just might create enough overhead for zos that they do a cost/benefit analysis and decide that fixing it might be the smart thing to do.

But again, not saying I'm hopeful.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    My guild trying to run in Cyro tonight and it's back to back stuck in combat bugs, bluescreens (on both PS4 and PS5's), unable to swap bars in the bigger fights, not to mention the lag is becoming bad again. There's literally no excuse for this type of performance when we all know just how much Zos makes with this game. I get they don't seem to care about the PvP side of things but either make the proper fixes or just scrap the PvP aspect altogether...
  • Titanium
    Titanium
    ✭✭✭
    When companies use Agile, "projects" are usually ranked according to how much revenue the work will bring in. That is, the more the work will increase revenue, the more priority that project gets. This trickles down to bug fixes. PVP has no direct impact to positive revenue, that's why we're seeing no bug fixes for these issues. When something is broken in the crown store, we get an immediate server down to resolve the problem.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    I truly think that they just don't GAF enough about PVP to fix it or even think of fixing it. That's been shown plenty of times with people mocking pvpers wanting fixes as well as even getting messages deleted from official streams that had to do with PVP.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Titanium
    Titanium
    ✭✭✭
    You know you're bugged when the Cheesemonger's Hollow is invisible. Can someone explain why this happens?

The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-20230731232549.jpg