Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

“Sharp’s Patience” Companion Perk impact on non-fish item drops from Fishing Holes

laniakea_0
laniakea_0
✭✭✭✭
Unlike other similar buffs such as Angler's Instincts, additional player bonus and Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl, this new companion perk can't be undone or avoided once you've permanently unlocked it. I think we need clarification from the developers on how these buffs affect things that are neither standard fish nor rare fish. That includes Leads, Furniture and Containers such as Pyandonean Bottles, Waterlogged Psijic Satchels and even the incredibly worthless Wet Gunny Sacks (that last one could honestly use some improvements). What we know for sure is that these buffs increase the drop chance of rare fish but what it doesn't say is which drop chances of other items are being decreased to make this possible. If it's just the drop chance of standard fish, we don't have a problem. But if this also decreases the drop chance of non-fish items, that's another matter entirely.
If the latter is the case, I can imagine a few possible solutions:
1. Change it so that these drop chances are no longer diminished by these effects or have it even improve them
2. Give us the ability to toggle off the perk items we receive after gaining the associated achievement for that companion
I suppose option 2 is probably a good idea regardless of how these drop chances work.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to add that those of us who are fishing for perfect roe *do* also have a problem with the drop chance of regular fish being reduced! Will be avoiding this "perk" like the plague.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to add that those of us who are fishing for perfect roe *do* also have a problem with the drop chance of regular fish being reduced! Will be avoiding this "perk" like the plague.

Exactly this. I am also planning to avoid this so called "perk" as I don't want it affecting my account at all. I really wish you could toggle companion perks off when you don't need or want them, and still do the companion quests associated with them for max rapport and dialogue. (Bastian, I'm looking at you and your endless stream of potions)

I'm really hoping if I pick up Sharps, that I can just leave him at the rapport level he starts with and not get this perk at all if I don't raise his rapport or do any of his other quests. I like Sharps, but unfortunately this perk is a no.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope ZOS sees this discussion and takes pity on us.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeahhhhh. Bad idea for his perk. Players don’t want more rare fish if it means less regular fish.
    Especially since rare fish are literally useless after catching them for the first time.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't actually mind that perk but it definitely needs some adjustments at the very least. It needs to be able to serve all fishing goals.
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather change trophy fish to become filet-able, with much higher drop chances of perfect roe. Maybe the green ones 10% and the blue ones 20%.
  • mdjessup4906
    mdjessup4906
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just not going to unlock sharp until they do something about this. Not going to risk it. Stupid roe is already too expensive as it is, I'm not screwing myself out of the ability to fish for my own.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh, unlocking him is not the issue. you have to finish his quest line, gain his favor by completing the listed activities he likes, get him to level 20 and gain max rapport with him in order to gain his perk at all time even when he's not summoned.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems... odd... that they made such a big deal about the new CP system reducing checks to improve performance, then stick in a load of permanent buffs that could easily fit in the green tree with no limitations or toggles. Making so many of the green perks slottables seems even more nonsensical
    PS4 EU
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to point out that I really appreciate this perk but agree that the design around it might be flawed, if it can't be turned off.
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone, we’d like to address the concerns raised in this thread about the Sharp’s Patience Companion Perk and clear up a few things.

For context, here’s the patch note for this perk:

“Sharp provides ‘Sharp’s Patience’ which offers an improved chance at finding trophy fish and slightly reducing reel time."

We hear your concerns about if the increase in trophy fish will result in an overall decrease in value. The short answer is no. Here are the main takeaways:
    • The appearance rate of Pyandonean Bottles, Waterlogged Psijic Satchels, and Gunny Sacks are not influenced by Sharps Patience; the overall appearance rate of these items has not changed.
    • With this perk, players can catch fish faster overall due to decreased reel time.
    • Sharp’s Patience perk does stack with the Champion Passive Reel Technique. They are calculated separately. You can benefit from both simultaneously, as well as with other fishing buffs and food such as Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl, and fishing with friends.
    • Percent chance of catching bait (Chub, Minnow, Shad, and non-perfect fish roe) has been reduced with Sharp's passive. The increase in trophy fish is offset specifically by the reduction of these items.
    We hope that helps clear up any concerns about this perk. Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification @ZOS_Kevin , that makes more sense now.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    interesting if true
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That seems like an acceptable solution to the passive problem, but we have to wonder why it took so long to even be addressed as a concern, when this was brought up right at the start of PTS. And then there's all the other companion passives that are of questionable use/outright broken.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin , thanks for the thorough reply. this does answer some of my questions but not all.
    Sharp’s Patience perk does stack with the Champion Passive Reel Technique. They are calculated separately. You can benefit from both simultaneously, as well as with other fishing buffs and food such as Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl, and fishing with friends.
    Does this mean it also stacks with Angler's Instincts?

It would be great if we could get some confirmation on whether or not caught bait is better than gathered bait, because if that rumor is true, some players may still take issue with this Keepsake.

I'd also like to better understand how any of these buffs impact the drop chances of those non-fish Items in general. Is using them actually detrimental to your goals if you aren't looking for rare fish or standard fish?
    for example, if I want to farm Coral Furniture or maybe Pyandonean bottles to get the Motif, would using buff foods and Champion Stars hurt my chances?

Furthermore, I can see that some players occasionally like to have a more vanilla game experience, so being able to disable certain persistent improvements they've earned offers them a degree of QOL. Option 2 from my initial post seems like a good way to make that possible. Is there currently any interest in allowing players to toggle off permanent improvement such as Companion Keepsakes? I suppose this question might as well also apply to always active Champion Stars.
  • spantifical
    spantifical
    Soul Shriven
    I did test this on PTS with a couple other people and we were all getting more white filletable fish with Sharp as a companion than without.

We did not test this with and without other fishing boons like CP and food buffs. But Sharp should increase white fish and therefore perfect roe drops.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is odd. I thought it was supposed to be about the rare fish. Not sure why it would improve standard fish drops.
    But it is an interesting question. How do any of the buffs/effects impact standard fish drops. Do all of them get that extra drop chance from the bait drops, same as the perk?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_Kevin , does this also mean that furnishing item drops from Summerset are also included in the list of things where the drop rate is unaffected by this perk?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does. According to his notes, the drop chance improvement for rare fish is taken only out of the drop chance for bait. no other item drops are impacted by this perk.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for clearing this up @ZOS_Kevin
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laniakea_0 wrote: »
    That is odd. I thought it was supposed to be about the rare fish. Not sure why it would improve standard fish drops.

Apparently because of Sharp's reduction in cast / reel time. More casts per hour = more filletable fish overall.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.