The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Abah's landing: Why is it different?

Sp3d_scout
Sp3d_scout
Soul Shriven
One day I decided to check out Hew's Bane, because I had recently bought a subscription and my character was a wood elf nightblade. However, when I arrived, I noticed something off about the wayshrine, and soon I realized the entire city of Abah's Landing had different architecture than the rest of Hammerfell! I, being the geek I was, decided to check reddit for answers, but only found the explanation for the architecture differences of Vvardenfell, certain dwemer ruins, and Summerset, the third of which I still don't quite believe. I know the architecture isn't different because of crown-forbear differences, because neither faction existed in Abah's Landing after the mid second era. I also know it's not a neutral-covenant difference, because Belkarth is neutral and It still has the same architecture. Did Zenimax just want to make money by giving Abah's Landing blue domes? Please let me know your theories.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there is the quite profane answer related to RL, that thieves guild as dlc got more detailed architecture as it would've been possible with any zone within base game. Selling strategies are of course also part of this considerations.

Then you can go for the lore: Although little is known about Abah's landing except prince hubalajad founded it around 1E 808. After that it was reigned by his successors for a few generations. So the origins of the city are clearly yokudan as can also be seen by looking at the citadel of no shira directly south of it. But the Abah's landing we explore in eso isn't simply a redguard settlement anymore, as at some date in the past the town went almost forgotten to the establishment of the redguards and is since then controlled by a variety of traders, pirates and other lucky knights from various races.

That's why my personal explanation for the town's unique (and rather beautiful) architecture is it's foundation in just this meltpot of various cultures working and living together far away from any normative rule.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that we haven't seen the rest of southern Hammerfell. For all we know, Hegathe, Taneth and Rihad look more like Abah's Landing than Sentinel, Stros M'K'ai or Belkarth.
    Options
  • Hoghorn
    Hoghorn
    ✭✭✭
    Sp3d_scout wrote: »
    One day I decided to check out Hew's Bane, because I had recently bought a subscription and my character was a wood elf nightblade. However, when I arrived, I noticed something off about the wayshrine, and soon I realized the entire city of Abah's Landing had different architecture than the rest of Hammerfell! I, being the geek I was, decided to check reddit for answers, but only found the explanation for the architecture differences of Vvardenfell, certain dwemer ruins, and Summerset, the third of which I still don't quite believe. I know the architecture isn't different because of crown-forbear differences, because neither faction existed in Abah's Landing after the mid second era. I also know it's not a neutral-covenant difference, because Belkarth is neutral and It still has the same architecture. Did Zenimax just want to make money by giving Abah's Landing blue domes? Please let me know your theories.

i wonder if this page would answer some of your questions https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Hew's_Bane
    Options
  • OgrimTitan
    OgrimTitan
    ✭✭✭
    Strange question.

In-universe reason: myriad of variables why a city can is different from the rest. I think I don't need to explain the most cities in vanilla TESO were generalized in terms of architecture so the game is easier to produce? Narsis and Kragenmoor have Indoril assets, Daggerfall/Wayrest/Evermore/Camlorn all have the same assets, et cetera.

Out-of-universe reason: most post-vanilla DLC share the new pack of assets every year. Necrom (Necrom 2023) has different style than any other Morrowind type (Indoril, Hlaalu, Telvanni, Redoran). Gonfalon Bay (High Isle 2022) is different from Daggerfall/Camlorn. Leyawiin (Blackwood 2021) is different from Anvil (nibenese style) and Kvatch (colovian style), presenting another nibenese style. Solitude (Greymoor 2020) is different from Eastmarch and the Rift cities.

Belkarth argument is irrelevant because Craglorn was still vanilla era of the game.
    Options
  • Sp3d_scout
    Sp3d_scout
    Soul Shriven
    Hoghorn wrote: »
    Sp3d_scout wrote: »

i wonder if this page would answer some of your questions https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Hew's_Bane

That was my main resource for this matter.
    Options
  • Sp3d_scout
    Sp3d_scout
    Soul Shriven
    Okay, I have a new theory; https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/3ljr6y/reasons_for_the_difference_in_dwemer_architecture/ states that dwemer architecture is different in each zone because there are different resources in each zone, such as white rock in the reach and brown rock in Hammerfell. Now that I thought about it, the domes in Stros M'kai and Sentinel are built using some yellow metal or paint, which might not be available in Hew's Bane, hence the blue domes and the darker bricks.
    Options
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Given that it's so far from Alik'r, I'd be much more surprised if it had the same architectural style. Why would redguard settlements look the same? I think this is a good example of how differences in visual style can suggest a lot about two places with different histories, environments, and people. Making them stand out gives them character.

To me, it always made Hew's Bane seem like an opulent city that's seen a lot of change, with multiple layers of construction (stone beneath new stone beneath wood, paint, and tiles). It also felt related to its history as a city-state. Just a vibe I got.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
    Options
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The distance between Abah's landing and the Alik'r-Bangkorai-Craglorn "vanilla redguard style" belt easily justifies the two architectural style.

These are different settlements of Yokudans, mixed up with different influences from different Nedes, Mer and later peoples.

The real discrepancy is rather why Stros m'kai, wich is in the same sea like Hew's Bane, is the style of Sentinel instead of Abah's.
    Of course it is an overlook because they had not yet created the style at the time, but now it is really disturbing.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;