The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Combat Pets

mgarrett94b14a_ESO
mgarrett94b14a_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hello,
First off, already a few hours into playing and so far i love all the combat and game-play mechanics, however there is one element to characterization that I (and i'm sure others) would like to request, and that is combat pets to be available to all class'. I've read a few places about plans to implement it into the game and I would love to see these plans be implemented. I am working on a Nightblade Ranger build and a pet to tank when soloing would be something that would make the game more enjoyable in my opinion, much like a Hunters pet in WoW and other MMO's. And whether its world skill or not (it just makes sense for it to be, to me anyway which is why i'm posting in the World Skills category). Hopefully others agree with me in that this would be an amazing addition to the game. (: Anyway, whether it makes it in or not great game, time to get back to playing.
Edited by mgarrett94b14a_ESO on April 1, 2014 8:16AM
  • Valatour
    Valatour
    Soul Shriven
    A ranger guild skill line would be nice.
  • xCLAYWIZARDx
    xCLAYWIZARDx
    Soul Shriven
    A good necromancer resurrection/permanit pet skill line would be sic.
  • Varivox9
    Varivox9
    ✭✭✭
    I do think it would be a nice addition, however, they need to work on the AI of pets they already have in game atm first imo. Using the summon line, that first summon pet is nearly useless as he sits there watching me die. If I didn't want bound armour, I'd love to have that slot for something else...
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭
    no...combat pets starts the whole cookie cutter watering down of a game. Leave well enough alone. If ya need a wow pet in ESO I hate to tell you it ain't WoW. Sorcs get the familiars..want a pet? make a sorc! Simple and no watering down or significant changes that only lead to a fun game going F2P with an item mall...this is EXACTLY how it starts...too hard i need a pet to kill for me...sigh..not again!
  • nightwalkerrobin_ESO
    I really hate when some players hate a play style that others want to have, and was talked about in the early development of the game. So Yes, we want to have Combat Pets that can be used by ANY class, not just the Daedra summoned by the Sorcerers. But yes, the Devs need to work on a control mechanic for the pets so that you can send the pet to attack, tell it to be passive/aggressive/defensive.

Having combat pets does not "water down" any game. It is just another play style. If you don't like pets, then don't have them if that is your play style. But let those of us who do want them in to have them. I got interested in this game because it was NEW to me, never played any other Elder Scrolls game; and because of the information put out by the Devs that I could have a melee player that could have combat pets fight alongside of me, something I could not do in WoW because as you well know Hunters are Ranged only. This is wrong in that WoW lore does support melee Hunter types (Rexxar), but the Devs never seemed to think of that.

I really want combat pets in this game, but again as another poster stated, they need to work on the AI for the combat pets and give us some method to control the pet. I have made suggestions to this in at least 4 post beta surveys, but I feel that I was talking to a wall as nothing was ever done to the Sorc summoned pets.
  • kevin.hirdb14_ESO
    kevin.hirdb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    If you've played any of the elder scrolls games before, you'd already know summons don't really have any kind of command interface, and sometimes do a bad job at attacking. Just because you told them 4 times to put it in and they didn't doesn't mean they were ignoring you, it just means your 4 requests were 4 among several hundred thousand. Did you think they were gonna just slap in Everything somebody asked for? Summoned creatures is a mage specific ability. I could potentially see them being further down the Mages guild abilities, but oh well. Get used to it, or get a vanity pet and pretend he helps.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ''If ya need a wow pet in ESO I hate to tell you it ain't WoW. Sorcs get the familiars..want a pet? make a sorc! Simple and no watering down or significant changes that only lead to a fun game going F2P with an item mall...this is EXACTLY how it starts...too hard i need a pet to kill for me...sigh..not again!''

Your fully aware there are very good odds this game wont stay subbed forever dont you? People will play the first month then some if not the majority will leave the game until it becomes free to play. Many Beta tester stated and Angry Joe included that ESO didnt bring in something good enought to be worth a sub. I play it right now and to be honest the first thing you notice in the chat is all the utherly displeased player who talks about not staying. This game only got released that already we have a good thousand of angry disclaimers?

If anything ESO will release Paid new expension box and a cash shop before long but mark my words its subbing day are numbered. ESO will not go FTP because of battle pets but because of buggy quests, absent bosses, constant game crash and a somewhat bland player questing progression wich seems to *** off more then one.
    Edited by Kyubi_3002b16_ESO on April 2, 2014 2:49PM
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • nightwalkerrobin_ESO
    I think you misunderstand me, I am used to being ignored, LOL. I know my suggestions were 4 of ? thousands. I am just hoping that they are looking into it, that's all.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If and only if they can integrate into the game a well done pet mechanics then why not.

WoW already has little next to no reason to maintain a subbing cost yet ESO goes that dangerous slippy path anyway witheout even behing sure just how many people they will have on their game post april. The defrence between ESO and wow is WOW got an already established reputation and some prety much *** gamer hooked to its fishing rod yet its loosing people as time pass. For a recent game such as TESO wich is highly controversial and has a somewhat already mistrusting community its a totaly defrent story. This game STILL needs to do its proofs in the MMO market.
    Edited by Kyubi_3002b16_ESO on April 2, 2014 3:00PM

• SilentFox22
    SilentFox22
    ✭✭✭
    Let's stay on topic folks.

I too would love love LOVE to see some combat pets. It seemed like last September, it was something being considered: DEVELOPER QUESTION OF THE WEEK #37

I hope they can get back to it within a timely manner. My nightblade ranger just isn't the same without her wolf companion! :)

Supported!
    Edited by SilentFox22 on April 2, 2014 3:39PM
  • mgarrett94b14a_ESO
    mgarrett94b14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    no...combat pets starts the whole cookie cutter watering down of a game. Leave well enough alone. If ya need a wow pet in ESO I hate to tell you it ain't WoW. Sorcs get the familiars..want a pet? make a sorc! Simple and no watering down or significant changes that only lead to a fun game going F2P with an item mall...this is EXACTLY how it starts...too hard i need a pet to kill for me...sigh..not again!

Not necessarily, if done right (and i'm not saying put in the current familiar type pets that are currently available for everyone that just attack automatically for you, god no) combat pets could be a valuable extension of ones character and play style, as nightwalkerrobin said. Not the "kill things for me" type, but if they could work out a more comprehensive system, even more so than WoW. The reasons other MMOs died and went to the F2P GY is because of lazy, stingy players, and also has a big deal to do with that WoW is just dominating the market in sub based games. People always go back to it when new content comes out in hopes that its getting better just because of its reputation in the market (I've fallen for it the past two terrible xpacs myself sadly). That and more and more people just cant seem to understand that 15 a month isn't really that bad of a trade off to pay for the devs to make good, solid content. But I digress. Point is, Combat pets isn't watering down the game and shouldn't be looked at like that.
    Edited by mgarrett94b14a_ESO on April 3, 2014 8:48AM
  • Kaluu
    Kaluu
    Night blades can summon a temporary shade(or two). It's not quite what you're asking for, but it's something. If you really wanted a tank pet, Sorcerer should have been your optimal class selection.
  • Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    To the naysayers, 1) it's a fantasy game, anything within reason (that reason being the universe set and established by the TES series) is possible. 2) It's a game, meaning you do not need to partake of the animal companion scene if you think it ruins the game. Nobody is forcing you to use one, and by disabling combat pets in group dungeons, the field is leveled.

Considering that animal companion mods are incredibly popular for Skyrim and to a lesser extent Oblivion, I think this is a fantastic idea. But I would love for ZoS to give choices if such a thing were implemented (and I truly hope it is). Don't limit us to a variety of dogs and cats, but give us wolves of varying colors, panthers/sabre cats, various other creatures, and make them more than just a tanking buddy or additional DPS. Heck, give them bonuses to hp, or attack speed, or boost a variety of stats, give us access to a bonus skill. As long as it is exciting, useful, and not gamebreaking.

EDIT: Give each pet a random assortment of 3 stat/skill bonuses that can be increased the same way horses are improved, by feeding them once per day according to the bonus.
    Edited by Aureli on April 4, 2014 11:16AM
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    how about passive bonuses like cats and dogs who dont fight but just fellow you around the way mewing pet normaly do? The character feelings conforted would gain a passive bonus to health regeneration stamina regeneration or magicka regeneration. Maybe gold finding or else?

As for mounts.... i want to ride a Senche already heheheheh. White as snow like me..

• SilentFox22
    SilentFox22
    ✭✭✭
    Might be nice to see skill lines set up for animal combat-companion pets...

Put points in to make it more tank like, or act as a debuffer, or healer, etc. It can specialize in one role or be decent enough as all three.

Teach it novelty tricks like play fetch, roll over, play dead. lol
    Edited by SilentFox22 on April 4, 2014 5:54PM
  • Tuttebel
    Tuttebel
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, let's have a pet to heal me instead of erm ... another player. Or a pet to dps for a healer.
    If this should ever happen the pet should take a slot on the hotbar as one of the 5 skills. Just like the sorceror ones (who are all but useless when you pass lvl 20)
    "lex parsimoniae"
  • Axerax
    Axerax
    Soul Shriven
    I'll make a few points as it really bothers me how players who dislike having pets are normally the ones who play hardcore magic classes and have always been privy to pets and summons in practically any instance of DND style games.

Unlike DND this game like many other MMO's don't allow everyone to have combat pets. In traditional pen and paper you can buy a guard dog. Having something as simple as an attack dog that can grow with you in power on its own accord with simple commands like stay, follow, and attack can make a world of difference to players looking to solo or who are too new to the game and die unfortunately because they are being chased to death as a bow character but can't attack because they are took close.

Novelty/Vanity pets are cool, but absolutely useless and detract value and immersiveness more than someone taming a wolf and having it as a companion for the rest of the game. The people who don't want a pet won't get one, those who do, will seek it out. If I can build my character how "I" want it, not how some idiot on the internet and that their opinion outweighs my own, then "I" want a pet I can tame or raise as a baby to be my trust worthy companion. I'd rather be recognized when I walk into a dungeon by players when they see me and the pet. It's personalization and makes the game more deep.

People in real life would have pets, people in fantasy would have pets, not everyone would have them, so why bar users who want the ability to not have it. If you don't like the idea, don't play the game, or don't play with those players who do, you're the one missing out by being so ignorant and greedy to your own personal views, you're not the only person in the world, especially with MMO's.

As for mounts, earning a dragon mount would seem out of lore for Elder Scrolls, however I could see taming a mount would be more viable, especially if it was quest relate. But that's a deeper topic that has nothing to do with combat pets, as mounts are not allowed in combat.

As far as whether or not we get combat pets outside of the summoner class, I personally hope we get them, regardless of others opinions on the matter. I don't find it balanced that a caster should be privy to that when you've got other ranged classes or melee classes who can't have that, soloing as those is difficult, especially if you're a primarily a healer, not a combatant. And for a game that is claiming you can make the character how you want, they are not living up to their promise, because unfortunately for them I want a pet to help me solo or fill a space in a Dungeon scenario so we're not getting overwhelmed by mobs of enemies, when as a tank I have no AOE taunt or massive aggro ability and have to target every mob one by one.
  • nightwalkerrobin_ESO
    Axerax, I totally agree with you. Now, as you, I hope they are going to bring this soon. However I really hope they are working on a pet control system. There really needs to be one. Basic Attack, Stay, Follow commands and Passive and Defensive modes.
  • Sammycakes
    Sammycakes
    ✭✭
    ''If ya need a wow pet in ESO I hate to tell you it ain't WoW. Sorcs get the familiars..want a pet? make a sorc! Simple and no watering down or significant changes that only lead to a fun game going F2P with an item mall...this is EXACTLY how it starts...too hard i need a pet to kill for me...sigh..not again!''

Your fully aware there are very good odds this game wont stay subbed forever dont you? People will play the first month then some if not the majority will leave the game until it becomes free to play. Many Beta tester stated and Angry Joe included that ESO didnt bring in something good enought to be worth a sub. I play it right now and to be honest the first thing you notice in the chat is all the utherly displeased player who talks about not staying. This game only got released that already we have a good thousand of angry disclaimers?

If anything ESO will release Paid new expension box and a cash shop before long but mark my words its subbing day are numbered. ESO will not go FTP because of battle pets but because of buggy quests, absent bosses, constant game crash and a somewhat bland player questing progression wich seems to *** off more then one.
    Really if a game that has star wars in its name is forced to go to F2P then there is no doubt ESO will go that way as well and that is not always a bad thing swtor is thriving right now. As someone who played the beta ESO is not a bad game but it is not great enough as it is to justify a sub based system.

Oh more in line with the topic they could make pets similar to companions in swtor who also have commands.( I think wow does the same thing)
    Edited by Sammycakes on April 9, 2014 4:35AM
  • Locksoli
    Locksoli
    ✭✭
    I'm not into the whole pets thing like in wow. I'd like different movesets, and abilities based on race or other. Like with khajiit, who could tame tigers and have their tiger get special bonuses. Or argonians and crocodiles, vampires and giant bats, werewolves and wolves.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate when some players hate a play style that others want to have, and was talked about in the early development of the game. So Yes, we want to have Combat Pets that can be used by ANY class, not just the Daedra summoned by the Sorcerers. But yes, the Devs need to work on a control mechanic for the pets so that you can send the pet to attack, tell it to be passive/aggressive/defensive.

Having combat pets does not "water down" any game. It is just another play style. If you don't like pets, then don't have them if that is your play style. But let those of us who do want them in to have them. I got interested in this game because it was NEW to me, never played any other Elder Scrolls game; and because of the information put out by the Devs that I could have a melee player that could have combat pets fight alongside of me, something I could not do in WoW because as you well know Hunters are Ranged only. This is wrong in that WoW lore does support melee Hunter types (Rexxar), but the Devs never seemed to think of that.

I really want combat pets in this game, but again as another poster stated, they need to work on the AI for the combat pets and give us some method to control the pet. I have made suggestions to this in at least 4 post beta surveys, but I feel that I was talking to a wall as nothing was ever done to the Sorc summoned pets.

Want a melee pet class EQ has you covered. Beastlord.
  • GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    We'll have to see what Spellcrafting does ...
    Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • SilentFox22
    SilentFox22
    ✭✭✭
    Spellcraft a summon wolf spirit. I could dig it. :)
  • nightwalkerrobin_ESO
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Want a melee pet class EQ has you covered. Beastlord.

I played EQ back when it first started, and played the cat race when it started also, but never made it high enough to have a ward.

When this game was announced, the devs said that all classes would be able to have combat pets through a "perk", like the ability to be a werewolf or vampire. We see how they did the werewolf (I have one, and yes it has MANY issues. Discuss this in another thread) and vampire. Sorcs got combat pets, but the system was broken from day one. They now have commands, well some, which was better than when the game released. There is no reason they cannot put in a skill line that allows any class to tame and use a combat pet.

I do see the spell crafting as a way for them to do this, so I am hoping that it happens. But I would like the ability to not restrict the player to only one type of pet. Maybe have to get a component for the spell crafting from the specific animal you want to tame.

I think a wamasu would be awesome, but probably a bit big for dungeon runs. (Oh yes, the old days of Pre-CU SWG and my Kimogila).

For those who don't want a pet, then don't use one. Your skill points will go into the skills you want. That is one thing I do like about this game. You can use any weapons, armor, world skill you want. For those of us who want combat pets (not Daedra) why can't we have that? It is our skill points, and we sacrifice other combat skills to have the pet ones. Besides, I am not sure how much damage the Sorc pets add to the Sorc. Mine keep dying. Yes, I do have a Sorc, but it is not what I really want to play. Just trying the Storm Conduit build.

Lets just hope they can come up with some really good ideas for combat pets through the spell crafting skill line.
  • Lucifis
    Lucifis
    Soul Shriven
    Axerax wrote: »
    I'll make a few points as it really bothers me how players who dislike having pets are normally the ones who play hardcore magic classes and have always been privy to pets and summons in practically any instance of DND style games.

Unlike DND this game like many other MMO's don't allow everyone to have combat pets. In traditional pen and paper you can buy a guard dog. Having something as simple as an attack dog that can grow with you in power on its own accord with simple commands like stay, follow, and attack can make a world of difference to players looking to solo or who are too new to the game and die unfortunately because they are being chased to death as a bow character but can't attack because they are took close.

Novelty/Vanity pets are cool, but absolutely useless and detract value and immersiveness more than someone taming a wolf and having it as a companion for the rest of the game. The people who don't want a pet won't get one, those who do, will seek it out. If I can build my character how "I" want it, not how some idiot on the internet and that their opinion outweighs my own, then "I" want a pet I can tame or raise as a baby to be my trust worthy companion. I'd rather be recognized when I walk into a dungeon by players when they see me and the pet. It's personalization and makes the game more deep.

People in real life would have pets, people in fantasy would have pets, not everyone would have them, so why bar users who want the ability to not have it. If you don't like the idea, don't play the game, or don't play with those players who do, you're the one missing out by being so ignorant and greedy to your own personal views, you're not the only person in the world, especially with MMO's.

As for mounts, earning a dragon mount would seem out of lore for Elder Scrolls, however I could see taming a mount would be more viable, especially if it was quest relate. But that's a deeper topic that has nothing to do with combat pets, as mounts are not allowed in combat.

As far as whether or not we get combat pets outside of the summoner class, I personally hope we get them, regardless of others opinions on the matter. I don't find it balanced that a caster should be privy to that when you've got other ranged classes or melee classes who can't have that, soloing as those is difficult, especially if you're a primarily a healer, not a combatant. And for a game that is claiming you can make the character how you want, they are not living up to their promise, because unfortunately for them I want a pet to help me solo or fill a space in a Dungeon scenario so we're not getting overwhelmed by mobs of enemies, when as a tank I have no AOE taunt or massive aggro ability and have to target every mob one by one.

I agree whole heartedly it would make the game that much more enjoyable to me to have a pet that would help me run solo as I do not always want to group now I am not saying I want to summon a god like creature to kill my enemies while I take a break just that I want to have more options as far as them saying you can make your character your own they lied you basically have to use magic in all classes and its wrong I am a dragon knight so some magic is needed yes but what about the people that just want to be an all out brawler? if you don't buff magic your character is out of balance and will not regenerate health very well so yeah it is not what they promised but it is still enjoyable and everyone should have the option of having a battle pet if you have one and use it is up to you
  • nightwalkerrobin_ESO
    Another point, all the mobs we kill that have combat pets. They can have them, why not us? Hopefully Spellcrafting will fix this. But I would really love to have a "tame" skill and have to find baby animals to tame as companions. And don't make them perma-death. I really hate games that do have combat pets that are perma-death. Really sucks when you lose a pet that took a long time to find and tame.
  • nightwalkerrobin_ESO
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ So it was again stated in the special ESO Live that we can play what we want, and how we want.

Where is the skill for my Night Blade to have the combat pet of his choice (within reason, no Daedroth or Spider Daedra)? I want a spider combat pet on my Dark Elf Vampire Templar, a snake on my Argonian Night Blade WW, and a Tiger on my Khajitt Vampire Night Blade.

The mechanics are already in the game, lets make it happen.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for mounts.... i want to ride a Senche already heheheheh. White as snow like me..

Ohhhh... now you are giving me ideas. I want a wamasu to ride. I don't care if it never attacks. I just want to ride it. Now I'm going over to the 'what useless thing do you want in game thread'
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • swampfoxib
    swampfoxib
    ✭✭
    Spellcrafting is definitely going to have the options to create summon spells, which will be nice when it hits. On capturing pets I think that eventually there may be a system in place for capturing some of the wild beasts in the environment, but it will probably turn into a pet like the pets we have now rather than a combat-capable pet.
  • hydrocynus
    hydrocynus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get combat pets from the helm/shoulder sets.
    My internet is invalid