The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Style page drop rate insanity

richo262
richo262
✭✭✭✭✭
I have HM achieve, and pretty much all of them except Tava.

So, ran this close to 100 times on vet. I am actually running out of people to run it with because as tank I've witnessed them all get it, and they are tired of it (I don't blame it, I was tired of it at the 50th run).

I have so far assisted 9 people in getting the style, and I am yet to see one. Yeh I know, RNG blah blah blah. I'm [Snip] over it.

There should be 1 Hard drop every account but only if RNG hasn't already dropped it.
IF player with HM achieve has run the dungeon 50 times, AND a style page has not yet dropped, then they get a drop, THEN it reverts back to RNG.
IF player with no HM achieve has run the dungeon 70 times, AND a style page has not yet dropped, then they get a drop, THEN it reverts back to RNG.

Put a hard drop in there somewhere to end this insanity. I enjoyed helping other until I have quite literally run out of people to run it with because they all have it now and tired of it, some might help from time to time but not with the understandable commitment and organization they had before (and I don't blame them). I'm now running the dungeon finder with a 50% success rate of even completing. This is not enjoyable at all anymore.

Before any predictable [snip, way ahead of you ZOS] responds, no, this is not easy mode, the amount to run is intentionally higher than the average drop rate, this is putting an end to the feeling of banging your head against a brick wall, and at least lets the group know roughly where the end of the tunnel is so they might actually stick around a lil longer. Furthermore is only occurs once ONLY if RNG hasn't already dropped one, after the first drop this goes away and reverts to pure RNG.

[Edited for profanity bypass]
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 31, 2023 12:47PM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about these styles pages exactly for this you are complaining about: even after 100 runs you might not get it.

PS - The less you care about an item, the faster it will drop.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is actually the other way round, initially I was dragged in to help others, the longer I did it, the more commitment I put into it, the more I cared. Then when most people heard of my drop rate and they were averaging 1 page every 30-40 runs, they told me I should put in a support ticket to make sure there wasn't a bug or something blocking the drop. That is when the frustration became apparent.

I'm at ~80 runs, nothing, I came across someone in a dungeon that has run 90 times but has 3 style pages found.

Some have even recommended I buy something off the crown store to improve my drop rate.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to farm them too until I realised that made no sense to do so.

For as long as there are people 'running' the dungeons for the page my time is better invested in making the gold to buy it from the traders.

It has the added bonus of not having to deal with the frustration derived from 'oopsie, we forgot to put the item in the levelled list... again' situations.

Maybe if they finally decide to soft or hard cap RNG I will engage again with these shenanigans.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run 87, found my first page. Most of the time it is joy when I find these things, it is just pure frustration and a regret of even starting the hunt. They need to keep it insanely hard to find but the first one needs to be forced out if they run the dungeon more than 50 times, the RNG is good for people that just wanna horde and sell on later down the track, but the first one was not an enjoyable experience.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    I used to farm them too until I realised that made no sense to do so.

For as long as there are people 'running' the dungeons for the page my time is better invested in making the gold to buy it from the traders.

It has the added bonus of not having to deal with the frustration derived from 'oopsie, we forgot to put the item in the levelled list... again' situations.

Maybe if they finally decide to soft or hard cap RNG I will engage again with these shenanigans.

To be fair, I have probably made enough money in motif sales to buy it out right. Just found the style too. The shenanigans (completely agree) if the dungeon has a motif can be profitable shenanigans in its own right.
  • Giulietta
    Giulietta
    ✭✭✭
    you´re lucky if you didn´t witness the times before transmutation tables...
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giulietta wrote: »
    you´re lucky if you didn´t witness the times before transmutation tables...

Oh remember, I was well before Morrowind/CWC.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My RNG is clearly on the lowest setting in ESO. I have always attempted to farm the gold style pages, but most times I have come up empty even after 25-50 runs. Then I managed to snag 4 pages in 5 runs in Red Pedal Bastion and used all of my RNG up. Missed the last couple, and then managed to snag a style page from Graven Deep in 5 runs last night. RNG in ESO really is just trash. Simple as that.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If RNG was actually random - I wouldn't keep getting mostly melee weapons on templars and sorcs that have all my points put into magika.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    If RNG was actually random - I wouldn't keep getting mostly melee weapons on templars and sorcs that have all my points put into magika.

But you might notice it more because "Noooo! Not melee weapons again on my magica characters!"
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »

That’s actually what pure RNG should give you given that there are far more “melee” weapons than “magicka” weapons in the game. (Quotes because those two things aren’t mutually exclusive anymore - most endgame magdps are running dual wield front bar unless the fight heavily favors range.)

There are only four ranged weapons in the game at all, compared to seven melee dps weapons. Of the four ranged, two are mag dps weapons and one is a mag support weapon. (According to ZOS, ice staff is considered a support weapon, although it can have some use on a warden.) The last is bow. Meanwhile, melee has four one-handers and three two-handers.

With two dps staves versus seven melee physical weapons, you’re going to get far more of the latter with pure RNG.