The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvE Nightblade XP

LannStone
LannStone
✭✭✭✭
I was running a public dungeon on one of my nightblades yesterday.
Got tired of messing with the mob, went into sneak mode with sneak gear.
Pretty much slipped past everything to collect what I needed to complete the dungeon.
It occurred to me, why no XP for sneaking past enemies instead of killing them?
Requires just as much skill and gear.
I guess this has been discussed before?
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got XP for sneaking in Skyrim, if I remember correctly, but I don't think it applies in ESO because it's not a skill line in itself. Might be a cool addition/update for NB in the future though, right?
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about sneaking, but I would be cautiously interested in a skill line / ability that would cause wild animals to run away from a fight.
    Edited by Muizer on May 30, 2023 5:44PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can get quest XP all day from sneaking.

Kari's Tip Board is the most obvious source. Mage's Guild daily quests can be zero-combat, as can some DLC daily delve quests. Bogrul quests and other delve quests can go faster if you sneak past trash packs. Etc.
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can get quest XP all day from sneaking.

Kari's Tip Board is the most obvious source. Mage's Guild daily quests can be zero-combat, as can some DLC daily delve quests. Bogrul quests and other delve quests can go faster if you sneak past trash packs. Etc.

True but separate issue
    Not so much needing more XP, just observing that there should be some XP bonus for sneaking past monsters instead of killing them
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im also not sure how they would award xp for just sneaking past a group of enemies, how would they determine you sneaking past vs avoiding entirely? (from personal experience ive completely a thieves guild heist without stealth, within the timer and only getting spotted twice)

i also would see that if you did get xp from sneaking, you would get very very minimal xp, kind of like the xp you get from BoW targets (blade kills of a target are like only about 10% of the xp you normally get from killing them, if that)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    im also not sure how they would award xp for just sneaking past a group of enemies, how would they determine you sneaking past vs avoiding entirely? (from personal experience ive completely a thieves guild heist without stealth, within the timer and only getting spotted twice)

i also would see that if you did get xp from sneaking, you would get very very minimal xp, kind of like the xp you get from BoW targets (blade kills of a target are like only about 10% of the xp you normally get from killing them, if that)

I'm thinking if you would normally get detected but don't get detected, that would register some XP - not as much as a kill but something
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LannStone wrote: »

I'm thinking if you would normally get detected but don't get detected, that would register some XP - not as much as a kill but something

if its such a low/negligible amount then why even really bother? if you get 10 xp from sneaking past a mob, but you need 950k xp for a cp, thats even more ignorable than just killing the mob lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LannStone wrote: »

Except you can just walk or ride past mobs without sneaking and successfully avoid them; you hear the sound that indicates an enemy has noticed you, but if you move away quickly enough then they lose interest in you. And that's without sneaking.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get more exp by being able to run (daily) quest faster, so you can do more in the same time period. Main reason why almost all my characters are vampires: zooming through delves and stuff for motifs quests.
    Edited by Snamyap on May 30, 2023 7:13PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure how they could implement sneaking xp without someone figuring out how to abuse it. Some “parked” npc mob and then just going afk in stealth nearby comes to mind.

That being said I am all for a stealth skill line for pve (and pvp I guess)
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how does it take as much skill to sneak as it does to kill? At least to kill and you have to press multiple keys. To sneak on a nightblade you just put on wild hunt and cloak every 3 seconds and run past everything lmao how is it skill to hold w
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The skill has already been discussed, but the gear?

I don’t think you can use that as an argument because every build uses gear.

(My main character is a nightblade, just so you know.)
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they made getting XP for sneaking, then they would have to made XP for fire breathing, bear petting, and other class exclusive activities.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elendir2am wrote: »
    If they made getting XP for sneaking, then they would have to made XP for fire breathing, bear petting, and other class exclusive activities.

Sneaking is not class exclusive.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I am not sure how they could implement sneaking xp without someone figuring out how to abuse it. Some “parked” npc mob and then just going afk in stealth nearby comes to mind.

That's funny, because in my current playthrough of Oblivion I've been doing just that to level up Sneak-- go inside the Imperial Palace, go into Sneak mode (crouch), continuously "walk" toward the wall near the two guards by the door, and do something else on my iPad while my Sneak skill goes up 10 levels. :D (Yes, I know I could just pay a trainer, but I like to increase my skills on my own.)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NB main here and definitely against this change.

I occassionally farm rkindaleft public dungeon bosses (one day we meet, dear ancient orc shield) while skipping mobs by shrouding through them. This way around I'm significantly faster than by killing off any mobs and indeed have to actively look for not being too fast, so I get still loot from the nuked bosses.

Being rewarded with xp for the trashmobs I skip would a little bit too much I think.

So, although I can understand OPs suggestion from a roleplaying point of view, I can't support it due to gameplay and balancing.
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, thanks for the feedback, lol :)
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    BlueRaven wrote: »

That's funny, because in my current playthrough of Oblivion I've been doing just that to level up Sneak-- go inside the Imperial Palace, go into Sneak mode (crouch), continuously "walk" toward the wall near the two guards by the door, and do something else on my iPad while my Sneak skill goes up 10 levels. :D (Yes, I know I could just pay a trainer, but I like to increase my skills on my own.)

Remembers me of my time in morrowind, when I was levelling athletics by wedging a folded piece of paper in my keyboard.

Had no idea there was an autorun toggle back then 😅