The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[REQUEST] Get a WYSIWYG for character edition screen

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
This is imho a highly important but unfortunately since years neglected issue that we create a character inside the editor but looks pretty different when in game. I think this is a huge flaw considering how much effort people put into their character creation and how important this is for players.

To be honest I think it comes almost close to pulling a fast one on players to ask 1000 crowns for a character change token needed to correct the flaws of the editor.
Edited by AnduinTryggva on May 30, 2023 2:32PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it on PTS. The appearance change tokens are 1 play crown, buy as many as you like, play around with it, take out notepad and take down your slider information.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it on PTS. The appearance change tokens are 1 play crown, buy as many as you like, play around with it, take out notepad and take down your slider information.

This, or make the character on the EU server (or US if you are EUI) and once you like how they look, screenshot the sliders, create, tweak, delete, screenshot, and there you go :)
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok someone tell me what this acronym stands for cause I got NOTHING
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What You See Is What You Get

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Follow up question, what does "Get a WYSIWYG" mean in this context?

Is this just odd wording for the reoccurring request for the lighting in the character creator to be changed to reflect what's actually in the game so it's easier to know how your character will look once they're out in the world? Or is this some type of tool the OP wants added?
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is not only about lighting although I am sure this is a big part in the discrepancies between editor and ingame.

To be honest I would just be happy to have inside the editor a view that I can toggle on/off that shows how my toon is rendered in game. The setting of the environment should be standard outside lightning (so noon sunny outside, not inside) but if devs look for a more convenient solutions we get some additional switches to modify lightning conditions of this render view.

BTW: Good idea with PTS (although I think the devs could do that bit of effort to make life easier for players. Why should players search for a very awkward solution when there is a simple one for the devs to implement?). Is there a way to extract the numerical slider position and to recreate it exactly in the editor?
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

What You See Is What You Get

Thank you, I have so many questions.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the acronym? This is a quick and dirty explanation:

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/WYSIWYG-what-you-see-is-what-you-get#:~:text=WYSIWYG (pronounced wiz-ee-,see is what you get."

WordPerfect was the wysiwig editor I used for years, beginning back in the 80s.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would prefer to have a couple hours of grace period to change the character appearance after creation, and after spending a token. Log in, see how the character actually looks like, log out, tweak the flaws away, repeat.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer to have a couple hours of grace period to change the character appearance after creation, and after spending a token. Log in, see how the character actually looks like, log out, tweak the flaws away, repeat.

Something like Oblivion, where you can make changes after the tutorial would be perfect
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this would be more fair for console players who don't have access to PTS.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/WYSIWYG-what-you-see-is-what-you-get#:~:text=WYSIWYG (pronounced wiz-ee-,see is what you get."

Now you're taking me back. WordPerfect was a huge upgrade to WordStar at the time.
    PC NA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

Now you're taking me back. WordPerfect was a huge upgrade to WordStar at the time.

No kidding! It was heaven on a floppy disk.

• SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree the ESO character screen is not brilliant but have to say there are others that are far far worse - can’t tell you how many times I redid my character in DA:I due to what you saw in character screen being nothing like what you saw in game.

But I think the idea of a period of time to redo without cost once seen in game would be an excellent option.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Now I’ve got flashbacks to the time where I was using the non-WYSIWYG editor “vi” on UNIX machines. Highly celebrated because it was guaranteed to be on every machine, lol. What a claim to fame.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I’ve got flashbacks to the time where I was using the non-WYSIWYG editor “vi” on UNIX machines. Highly celebrated because it was guaranteed to be on every machine, lol. What a claim to fame.

Yeah, I didn't have linux/unix OS at all, but I knew people who did. They were -, not very impressed with vi, among other things. And my mother was using WordStar on a CPM (I think? Jeez that was so long ago.... maybe 4 decades?). So my x86 (not sure what brand now) that at that time came loaded with WordPerfect was.... THE BOMB.

I still use WordPerfect. Antique version - 9.... but it still works flawlessly on the latest Win 10. I'm not moving to 11. At the point where 10 no longer gets security updates, I'll figure out some version of linux. I may be old, but I am NOT dumb.....
    Edited by TaSheen on May 31, 2023 1:10AM

• AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Something like Oblivion, where you can make changes after the tutorial would be perfect

Not only after the tutorial as some people use a token well after they hit cp160
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the first time you to change/adjust appearance should be free (or maybe you could be given a token as a level-up reward).

I don't want to count the number I had to delete and redo right after character creation...
    Another thing I'd really to have is the option to save the slider settings for later use. Screenshots are ... an unreliable workaround at best.
    Edited by Kendaric on May 31, 2023 8:34AM
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I've asked a few times for a grace period of an hour after creation where we can go back in and tweak our appearance, because our characters do look different out in the world. We need time to see them in game and fine tune their appearance before they are set in stone.
      PCNA
    • Arunei
      Arunei
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      We definitely need something, either a grace period or environments in the character creation that are the same as neutral in-game lighting. The number of times I've made a character and then needed to delete them and remake them because the cheekbones look fine in the creator but awful in-game is far too high. Plus skin tones change between the two as well, as well as other things. It really is irritating.
      Character List [RP and PvE]:
      Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
      Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
      Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
      Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
      Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
      Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
      Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
      Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
      Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
      Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
      Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
      Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
      Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
      Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
      Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!