Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you prefer buffs (Major Brutality/Sorc, Major Resolve) as separate abilities or tied to attacks?

taugrim
taugrim
✭✭✭✭
I guess it really boils down to whether you want to be able to pre-buff before / buff during engagements (e.g. Netch, Rally, etc) or buffing with targeted abilities (e.g. Degeneration).

E.g. the following classes can pre-buff Major Brutality/Sorcery and Major Resolve pre-engagement without a target with class abilitie:
  • DK: Molten Weapons, Spiked Armor
  • Sorc: Surge, Lightning Form
  • Warden: Netch, Frost Cloak
PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
  • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
  • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)

Do you prefer buffs (Major Brutality/Sorc, Major Resolve) as separate abilities or tied to attacks? 33 votes

I prefer buffs I can activate at any time, even without a target (e.g. Spiked Armor, Netch, Surge, Lightning Form, etc)
63%
Baron_AtjasbirdikKartalinmb10NelothNoszetEl_BorrachoHeresyallLittlePinkDotcolossalvoidsN3CR01taugrimgariondaveySkaraMinocAmerisesJanniSwampyJestirDrNukensteinLunaFlora 21 votes
I prefer buffs tied to attack abilities (e.g. Degeneration, Jabs, etc)
18%
Sylosithe1andonlyskwexNeatlexDeusEJRxSandandStarsBraffin 6 votes
I don't have a preference
18%
Solarikenfizl101Anti_ViruskatorgaTechMaybeHicMelzo 6 votes
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer buffs I can activate at any time, even without a target (e.g. Spiked Armor, Netch, Surge, Lightning Form, etc)
    I find that I'm much more comfortable buffing without a target. That way I can enter an engagement fully buffed, and I can refresh buffs as I'm running away bravely.

I can definitely see the argument the other way: buffing through a targeted ability saves a GCD in-combat.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »
    I find that I'm much more comfortable buffing without a target. That way I can enter an engagement fully buffed, and I can refresh buffs as I'm running away bravely.

I can definitely see the argument the other way: buffing through a targeted ability saves a GCD in-combat.

Exactly what you said about GCD (and also saving a slot) let me choose targeted abilities, although I also use the other variants sometimes for convenience (depending on content in the end).

In the end I think both options are viable and definitely should stay.
    Edited by Braffin on May 30, 2023 2:22AM
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i prefer oakensoul so i don't have to activate the buffs anymore
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not about prebuffing vs buffing with an attack for me. It's more about other purposes of the ability. Rally, as an example; I used to have on every stam build. Now with hybridization; I use it much less and in favor of an on demand burst heal.

One thing Oakensoul showed me at it's height, was how tedious it is if 4/10 of your regular ability slots are buffs to keep up and monitor
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on May 30, 2023 11:08AM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I absolutely hate "buffing" and having to maintain or waste slots on buffs, especially given the short duration of most buffs.

But, not being able to pre-buff puts you at a disadvantage in pvp.

I have really grown to enjoy Oakensoul as a way to maintain buffs with no wasted GCD.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PVP I rather have a buff that requires a target, because in PVP it's basically a never ending fight with how big zergs tend to congregate.
    You don't really have lots of time to back away and reset buffs, so just targetting someone with a damage ability and getting your buffs is the preference, you hit get 2 birds with 1 stone.
    On DK for example I used to run molten armaments as soon as they hybridized weapon and spell damage, but I quickly dropped it and used a combination of degeneration + shattering rocks because I was using shattering rocks anyways, degen would just give me more damage and I'd get my minor brutality off shattering rocks, resulting in better usage of bar space.

I also like the Stamplar approach where Biting jabs gives you major brutality regardless of whether you hit a target or not, saves me bar space and I can slot a different damage skill, which is what templar lacks for pvp at the moment. However, Magplar is still forced to run an outside source of sorcery/brutality which puts it behind Stamplar. As much as I like using degen, I'd rather just use jabs to get my brutality/sorcery than having to use Jabs + degen at the same time. I'd rather use the other morph, structured entropy if possible. But ZOS doesn't like the idea of having puncturing sweeps give sorcery.

TLDR: I prefer the abilities that are tied to attacks(like degen or biting jabs) because then you don't have to back away or reset a fight, and it's far more convenient for bar space than having to use a skill for just 1 single effect, meaning I can get more damage in on my bar.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade