The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Concerning Necrom Chapter...

Hyperdeathstalker
Hyperdeathstalker
✭✭✭
I will most likely be purchasing this chapter when it goes on sale as im struggling to find its worth to warrant the price tag.

What are we getting with this chapter thats attractive ?

- New overland (Necrom city looks interesting but a lot we have already seen in morrowind styles)
- New trial ( probably the most interesting part of the new content)
- New Companions (medicore system that adds little)
- New Class ( Looks flashy and not a fan of Crux system feels a meh class but will hold out hope)
- New Mythics ( Again medicore and nothing running to get the shovels for as were nerfed pre release make no sense i liked that amulet with crit)
- New sets (nothing stands out much , again could be wrong any best in slot ? )

I welcome all added content but i feel these chapters or updates should be in crown store and eso plus as value seems low to me.

No New PVP content is also a let down
No Tales of Tribune Content (hated it at first but has grown on me)
No new systems
No new races
No new arenas

Whats everyones take on this ? Will this chapter sell well? Also does anyone have info on how previous chapters sold? Numbers of sales etc.

• vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What about Apocrypha? (which you didn't mention)
    I'm looking forward to exploring it.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still debating on whether or not to preorder it, but I'll definitely get it at release (June 20th for us).

Yay - QOL upgrades, like filleting stacks of fish at once, buffs to Templar, stuff like that.

Nay - New Mythic is essential DOA. Too bad, it had some real potential.

Meh - Arcanist class. I'm still undecided on it. I'll probably try it out, but I'm not a fan of the Crux system, either. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited we're getting a new class, it's been awhile, but I'm not sure this new class is for me
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the CE preordered, like I always do, but I am a bit disappointed in zos over this chapter.

But first what I like ,

I like going to apochrypha.

I like that we are getting two more companions as I like having RP companion pairings for my characters.

And overall I like the looks of the zones, some excellent voice acting, music, and the story seems pretty good.

And I like having a new class to fool around on.

What’s wrong.

Giving us such a small sliver of the peninsula and making it look pretty much the same as vardenfel feels a bit like a double beat.

I don’t like how the companion quests both involve going deep into public dungeons.

I don’t like how the basically took away world events from solo, casual and new players, and hid them in their own instance, while still calling them “world events”.

I don’t like how they made the new mythics kind of pointless (although I am also relived I don’t have to bother farming them).

I don’t particularly like the new furniture, nor do I like the new dark elf themed home.

I don’t like the idea that this will be basically it for a full year.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree about the "World Events" but I believe this was their answer to "more difficult overland" and now when people complain they'll just refer them to the Bastian Nymics. Then they can say, "Hardly anyone does the overland Bastian Nymics, so it just goes to show hardly anyone wants harder overland." If that's truly their response to complaints about overland content, I'm definitely OK with that. I'm perfectly happy with overland difficulty as it is.

I also agree about the companion quests. It's fine to have longer continuing quests, when you raise rapport, but the initial acquisition quest should be MUCH shorter- or make it 'account wide' given how many people have a multitude of alt characters. It seems each year when they add new companions, the initial quests get longer and longer, which is the exact opposite of how it should be.

I love Apocrypha... I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed the visuals there. I didn't find anything "cosmic horror" about it, in fact, I found it quite calming.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Companions (medicore system that adds little)

My entire reason for purchasing it :smile: and every one of my characters will be using the new crafted set dedicated to them.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't there a new deck being added with Necrom chapter?

• joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there is. There was some discussion about it because some part of it originally was intended to be received only as a reward for doing the new impossible incursions.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I agree about the "World Events" but I believe this was their answer to "more difficult overland" and now when people complain they'll just refer them to the Bastian Nymics. Then they can say, "Hardly anyone does the overland Bastian Nymics, so it just goes to show hardly anyone wants harder overland." If that's truly their response to complaints about overland content, I'm definitely OK with that. I'm perfectly happy with overland difficulty as it is.

I also agree about the companion quests. It's fine to have longer continuing quests, when you raise rapport, but the initial acquisition quest should be MUCH shorter- or make it 'account wide' given how many people have a multitude of alt characters. It seems each year when they add new companions, the initial quests get longer and longer, which is the exact opposite of how it should be.

I love Apocrypha... I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed the visuals there. I didn't find anything "cosmic horror" about it, in fact, I found it quite calming.

Yes, they had confirmed that was their intention with the world events this time around. (And after watching some "let's plays" of new players, it is obvious that the current overland difficulty is just about spot on correct.) But Bastion Nymics are not World events anymore, they are mini dungeons with an additional "kill five world bosses" element.
    If they are going to implement that, go ahead, but they should not have called it a "world event". What's more they took a daily away from lower end players. Less content with basically nothing to replace it with, and then saying "see you next year" to most players.

This whole chapter has left me kinda sour on ESO. It's a chapter that just feels a bit of an anemic one for generally solo(ish) players like me, with the promise of "no new content" for quite awhile.

I mean it's kind a nice in away, Cyberpunk is getting a huge new dlc soon, so it gives me plenty of free time to play it. But still, it's just really disappointing.

(And I do like Apocrypha as well. It is quite an interesting looking zone.)
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joergino wrote: »

Yes, there is. There was some discussion about it because some part of it originally was intended to be received only as a reward for doing the new impossible incursions.

Yes, luckily they changed that, and how it drops outside of the Bastion Nymic.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    x

Yeah people will farm those world bosses for it, but as people get the part the reason to actually help defeat them will go away.
    It’s such a strange chapter really, so many game mechanic changes that makes you wonder if anyone actually thought these things through.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    x

Yeah people will farm those world bosses for it, but as people get the part the reason to actually help defeat them will go away.
    It’s such a strange chapter really, so many game mechanic changes that makes you wonder if anyone actually thought these things through.

Isn't it true for any world boss? People farm them while they stull need a drop or an achievement from them or if there is an event going on. At all other times they are forgotten.
    Edited by ESO_player123 on May 29, 2023 3:40AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    x

Isn't it true for any world boss? People farm them while they stull need a drop or an achievement from them or if there is an event going on. At all other times they are forgotten.

Well admittedly it was early on, but the wandering wbs on the pts only dropped a few gold and the occasional deadric husk. No gear or anything.

The ones on Galen, in contrast, at least drop deconable gear. Maybe there are leads on wbs in Necrom, but in general their loot tables seemed pretty pointless on the pts I tried.
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    We actually do get a new ToT deck as well
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    From some of the things OP listed, new Dunmer area ad stories to explore, companions, new class, and trial are extremely attractive to me.

I couldn't care less about the card game or PvP.

So whether Necrom in general is interesting is very subjective. People like different things and it's impossible to make happy 100% of players.

Personally I am impatiently looking forward to it. :)
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's sensible to look at what you're actually getting for your money with any product and think about what's it's worth to you.

I came to a similar conclusion with Necrom. It doesn't look bad but there's nothing in there which makes me think I want it right away (especially since I'm busy with other things) and I don't think what is there is worth the price for me. So I'm going to wait until either it's on sale or until I do really want it, whichever happens first (which will almost certainly be when it goes on sale).

There's no universal right answer. There's been other chapters where other people said the same thing and I pre-ordered it because I decided it was worth it for me, and I'm sure the people pre-ordering Necrom have decided it's right for them. The important thing is to think about what you'd get out of it and what you're willing to pay for that.
    Edited by Danikat on May 29, 2023 11:37AM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Yes, they had confirmed that was their intention with the world events this time around. (And after watching some "let's plays" of new players, it is obvious that the current overland difficulty is just about spot on correct.) But Bastion Nymics are not World events anymore, they are mini dungeons with an additional "kill five world bosses" element.
    If they are going to implement that, go ahead, but they should not have called it a "world event". What's more they took a daily away from lower end players. Less content with basically nothing to replace it with, and then saying "see you next year" to most players.

This whole chapter has left me kinda sour on ESO. It's a chapter that just feels a bit of an anemic one for generally solo(ish) players like me, with the promise of "no new content" for quite awhile.

I mean it's kind a nice in away, Cyberpunk is getting a huge new dlc soon, so it gives me plenty of free time to play it. But still, it's just really disappointing.

(And I do like Apocrypha as well. It is quite an interesting looking zone.)

I have to agree. Necrom is a very weird hodge-podge of a chapter and I found myself getting oddly depressed when I was testing it. I don't mind a challenge but there was a lot more content this time round that felt like it was punishing me for playing solo. Normally, I gear up my companion and go out and try things out at my own pace but with the new 'world events' and some of the world bosses just relentlessly mowing me down it all became annoying very quickly. I didn't feel challenged - I felt bored.

Hanging around waiting for ages for someone to help with one of the less soloable bosses is probably going to be the player experience once the excitement of the first few weeks passes.

Sadly, there was very little I actually really liked about Necrom (and that's why I've chosen not to buy it) but those things were:
    1.Necrom itself has an interesting design and I thought the inn room was quite good as is the bigger house in the city,
    2.The little flying critters in Apocrypha, the tomeshells.

I was going to add the companions to the list as "ok" but then I remembered they made Sharp-as-Night say "Skill...issue" as one of his end of combat lines. I despise modern vernacular and memes being chucked into ESO's dialogue, it's just so wrong, like "hello fellow kids" wrong.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't buy High Isle so I will do that when it's part of the sub. Not buying Necrom as there is absolutely nothing interesting there for me. Got half way through the PTS and just stopped as it was boring.

And really, tentacles?
    Edited by shadyjane62 on May 29, 2023 8:43PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't buy High Isle so I will do that when it's part of the sub. Not buying Necrom as there is absolutely nothing interesting there for me. Got half way through the PTS and just stopped as it was boring.

And really, tentacles?

You do realize that Hermaeus Mora has the appearance of a multi-eyed squid type of creature, right? So yes, tentacles because it demonstrates a connection between the Arcanist abilities and him.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the class and Apocrypha. The Dragonborn dlc for TES V Skyrim is a lot of fun for me (and that's over and over again fun, every playthrough) - which Dawnguard is decidedly not.

I'm not interested in the Dunmer stuff at all though. But that's fine, because I will enjoy meeting Mora again (well, for the "first time" in the overall timeline). Eyes and tentacles don't bother me. My arcanists won't be Mora minions - more like seekers of deep knowledge, however they came by their magickal abilities.
    Edited by TaSheen on May 29, 2023 9:59PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me a new class.

The price is too much for what is being offered.

I'm ok with not having all new gear sets that are overturned. I'm so sick of of regearing at this point.

No pvp content.....
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will most likely be purchasing this chapter when it goes on sale as im struggling to find its worth to warrant the price tag.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. The chapter adds very little content that grabs my interest:

The arcanist class doesn't appeal to me at all due to it's overly bright, flashy effects.
    Hermaeus Mora and Apocrypha are of no interest to me.
    I have no interest in any of the new companions (though I love the companion system).
    The new "world event", Bastion Nymic, is of no interest to me either.

I'm generally a huge fan of Dunmer culture, but the new chapter is focused too strongly on Apocrypha and Hermaeus Mora. Even when it's on sale, it will likely be rather overpriced for me as I'm only interested in essentially 1/3 of the content.
    But at least I'll get Naryu and Ashur :)
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester