Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Companions Q&A

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hi Everyone! It's time for a Community Q&A! For this community Q&A, the focus will be on Companions. Do you have burning questions about our two new companions, Azandar Al-Cybiades and Sharp-As-Night that weren’t covered in their Meet the Character articles? Or maybe you’re curious about what goes into making a companion? This is your chance to ask questions about companions in general, specific companions, or the process of developing companions.

We will leave this thread open for the next few days and close on Tuesday, May 30 at 10am ET. We will then work on getting answers out later in June via a blog post. As always, please keep the conversation respectful and follow the community guidelines. With that out of the way, let’s open the floor for questions!

Note: We will not be discussing future systems for companions (i.e. romancing companions). We know many want to see more systems built on the foundation of companions. However, we have no additional information to share at this time.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on September 1, 2023 8:55PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't we have more control over their actions? Specifically things like roll dodge with certain weapons. Personally I don't give them most range weapons because they roll dodge immediately when the target they are attacking comes into melee range. Other weapons have their own set parameters like two-handed and dual-wield is at =< 50% while tank wespons are set to critical =< 25% before they roll dodge.

Having some control or setting with this would open more weapon choices for me and others.
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Will we get more customization options for companies like hats, skins or personalities?

2. How do you decide on rapports for the companions like Bastian hating cheese? (Cheese! All hail uncle Sheo!)

3. @ZOS_Kevin who is your favorite companion?
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to get a Companion that isn't one of the playable races? Like an Atronach or Arox even?

Could we get the option to enable helm on them?
  • Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like its a missed opportunity not having a male khajiit companion given the popularity of Raz. Any possibility in seeing one in the future?
    PC NA
    March 2014 - December 2023
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it has been asked , but companions having different outfits per character possibility?
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please release Altmer and Bosmer Companions. You always skimp the elves in the aldmeri dominion. We have the least new zones. We get the least pets mounts costumes accessories ect.

Wood elves get like nothing most the time. No new furnishing assets no new zones.

The LEAST you could do is give us an altmer and a bosmer Companion. Even better one of each gender.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why are companions account wide unlocks (collection menu) but still required to be unlocked per character?

why are the unlock quests getting significantly longer if we are required to unlock it per character?

I just unlocked a companion on an Alt. All it that was needed is a Delve Quest. Then you get the companion as leveled by your main with the gear they already have. 10 maybe 15 minutes.

The only time suck is grinding for gear if you want to change your role. You don't need to spend time on Affinity as the rewards are account wide.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    why are companions account wide unlocks (collection menu) but still required to be unlocked per character?

why are the unlock quests getting significantly longer if we are required to unlock it per character?

I just unlocked a companion on an Alt. All it that was needed is a Delve Quest. Then you get the companion as leveled by your main with the gear they already have. 10 maybe 15 minutes.

The only time suck is grinding for gear if you want to change your role. You don't need to spend time on Affinity as the rewards are account wide.

Well, that's how it used to be, but now with Necrom, the Companion quests are MUCH longer, Sharp you have to get through a Public Dungeon and even worse, with Azandar you not only have a Public Dungeon to get through, but also a Delve as well. Let alone running all over the map for fetch quests.
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

It's all time I would spend anyway, regardless of the number of characters.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Will we get a map indicator for companion locations, all of them? We now have six, and finding them all is going to be something to remember. This would also make it easier to find them for those who want to unlock the companions before diving into the new content(like me).

Will we get a companion quickslot wheel? Personally I do not use the tools wheel at all, could that become the companionwheel?

Could you guys please only let companions get aggro if they specifically have a taunt skill equipped? Companions pulling monsters and bosses away isn't fun. Neither is companions dying in one or two hits, when they weren't supposed to take aggro. (This is actually my biggest issue with companions)

PS: Thanks for the new companions, I love companions!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Will we get a map indicator for companion locations, all of them? We now have six, and finding them all is going to be something to remember. This would also make it easier to find them for those who want to unlock the companions before diving into the new content(like me).

Will we get a companion quickslot wheel? Personally I do not use the tools wheel at all, could that become the companionwheel?

Could you guys please only let companions get aggro if they specifically have a taunt skill equipped? Companions pulling monsters and bosses away isn't fun. Neither is companions dying in one or two hits, when they weren't supposed to take aggro. (This is actually my biggest issue with companions)

PS: Thanks for the new companions, I love companions!

the companion unlock quests can be automatically gotten from the collection menu, if you have already unlocked the companion but dont have the quest done on that toon

the other part is that there is already a companion specific quickslot wheel, that can be used with both companions and assistants (or you can add them to the normal quick slot wheel too) (this wheel pops up when you go to to the collection menu for allies, either companions or assistants, and you access it to summon by holding the quick slot wheel button and then using the buttons to navigate to the other wheels)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the other part is that there is already a companion specific quickslot wheel, that can be used with both companions and assistants (or you can add them to the normal quick slot wheel too) (this wheel pops up when you go to to the collection menu for allies, either companions or assistants, and you access it to summon by holding the quick slot wheel button and then using the buttons to navigate to the other wheels)

Fence, Banker, Deconstruct, Merchant, Mirri, Ember, Bastian, Isobel. That's eight, that wheel is full for me.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [*] Previous companions such as Bastian and Isobel provided unique buffs and debuffs that stacked with Major and Minor effects (such as Bastian's Searing Weapons providing a unique 15% damage buff to Light and Heavy attacks rather than providing Empower); however, Shap-as-Night and Azandar provide named buffs and debuffs such as Minor Vulnerability. Why was this change made and will the older companions be updated?

I have mixed feeling about Searing Weapons. I like my heavy attack builds, but Bastian is my least favorite companion. He also doesn't fit thematically for me: I like to combine heavy attack builds with vampirism since it pretty much negates the increased resource costs of non vampire skills. Having this goody two shoes commenting gets on my nerves. "I thought you gave up thieving?" Whatever gave you that idea?!

Edited by Snamyap on May 24, 2023 5:03PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

Fence, Banker, Deconstruct, Merchant, Mirri, Ember, Bastian, Isobel. That's eight, that wheel is full for me.

the way i read what the person i was responding to was implying it sounded like they didnt know there was a companion wheel that already existed

quick slot wheels in general already suffer from a lack of space lol (especially if you use siege in cyrodiil lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014