The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

DBOS failing to land for anyone else?

Meurto
Meurto
✭✭✭
Curious if anyone else is having issues with DBOS (Dawnbreaker of Smiting) just failing to land when a target(s) are visibly in the area where the attack should have registered. I used to think this was due to the horrible performance, but now with the hardware upgrade on PC EU it seems the skill just flat out misses. I have seen it miss on targets on siege or already knocked down from a stun where they are stationary and not moving around. It really feels like the skill is only working half the time and curious if anyone else has noticed this.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    positional tracking in the game is pretty bad, even when it seems like there is not a lot of lag. If someone is standing still landing DB is easy, if they're moving I'll often think I have someone lined up perfectly only to do no damage because they weren't were they appeared to be. Also happens with Whirlwind quite a bit, it will look like I'm right on top of my target spinning but they take no damage.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a known issue with Dawnbreaker in particular, since no target is needed to fire it. When you combine server lag with half the players at the speed cap, it gets downright useless. The only real solution is to hit them with a snare or hard CC before the DB, which is easier said than done with so many players being CC immune these days.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ideally ZOS would change the shape of the AoE so that the cone doesn't miss targets directly in front of your face, and they'd get rid of the cast time (artificial lag) that exacerbates the problems with its shape and position tracking.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Pretty much everyone misses with their dawnbreaker's as often as they hit. The trick is to play into the future a little bit. It can be hard to keep in mind when in the middle of a hectic fight but you basically have lead your shots by taking into account your ping, and the relative speed of your targets to yourself. Where you see people on your screen is by necessity a view of the past. That info was sent to you from the server and represents the state of the server at the time it left.

Normally if I am running behind them I try to catch up nose to nose and then aim in front of them. If they are coming at me it can be trickier but I have to use it slightly earlier than I would normally. I've found sometimes the easiest way is to strafe along side of them. That gives me a very clear perspective on their lateral speed relative to mine. Then I can drop it in front of them by about a character's width and it usually hits.

• React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Dawnbreaker is probably the most unreliable ult in the game in terms of targeting. I have numerous clips of it missing people who are stood still 2-3 meters in front of me.

It's partially due to location desync, which is the inability for the server to accurately determine the location of two players in relation to one another. This has always been present, but has definitely gotten worse over time.

The other culprit is the awful cast time they forced on dawnbreaker, as well as most other offensive ults. If the ability was actually firing when you pressed it, I'm certain it would be far more consistent.

Ult cast times are a relic of the past and do nothing but hurt the flow of combat, and definitely should be removed. From dawbreaker, as well as every other instant burst ult (2h, crescent, tether, dw, etc). If they're set on keeping these awful cast times for no good reason, they should expand the radius of DBOS and the other ults to ensure they actually land.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played long enough to remeber a time went skills like that didn't have a cast time but I'll defo agree they are bad. They introduce a lot of clunky controls that are the antithesis of how this game plays in general. They also cause a whole bunch of problems with desync and animations bugs and during heavy lag they are the first skills to fail. If the intent was to make the skills easier to react to that is a farce as well since there is no way the info could reach anyone in time for them to do anything about it.
  • BetterAtChess
    BetterAtChess
    ✭✭
    The combination of cast time and lag make DBoS a very unreliable ult, it used to be so much better in PVP. I remember when DBoS used to hit like a truck, especially against vamps, and actually made the choice to become a vamp a double-edged decision. Now, it's a no-brainer.

The cast times added to DBoS and other ults have chipped away at ESO's unique and fluid combat style, making them unsatisfying and less impactful to use. I wish the devs would just revert the changes and increase the damage. Especially in this tanky healbot meta we are stuck in.

Edited by BetterAtChess on May 24, 2023 9:21AM
  • Mansquito
    Mansquito
    ✭✭✭
    I get this regularly and I also have issues with it actually going off. The state of the game performance and lag doesn't help to identify the root cause, it could be lag, it could be performance, it could be a bug, who knows.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dawnbreaker sometimes fires in BGs without the animation. It's a bit disorienting.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Remiem
    Remiem
    ✭✭✭
    The cast time pretty much ruined it, which is bad because it's the only useable offensive ult for some classes.
    Cast time + constant positional desyncs + narrow cone hitbox = 50% chance to miss unless you play dizzy swing and stun your target before using it. Other ults also got that 0.4 s cast time but they either are 360° AoEs like soul tether or are targeted ults like leap and incap so the chances that you completely waste your ult for absolutely nothing are minimal, templar's radial sweep is the one other ult as bad as dawnbreaker but it's at least very cheap and you still get that pulsing AoE around your character even if you miss.
    Balanced by people with no prior gamedev experience, couldn't fix performance issues in a decade, can't code a real matchmaking algorithm to save their lives, more maintenance downtime than all the other MMOs put together, more bugs introduced than bugs fixed every big patch, same stagnant combat for years.
    Done with Elder Joke Online: 2 seconds of input delay on "70" ping edition.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since 2015
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • pedrogonzalez
    pedrogonzalez
    ✭✭
    They should make DBOS work like Tether or Aedric Spear ult. Just not directed, but aoe around yourself.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should make DBOS work like Tether or Aedric Spear ult. Just not directed, but aoe around yourself.

I think tether is even worse for trying to get to go off because it tries to actually target everyone in radius if you. In large fights; it often hitches and doesn't fire
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine does not activate if there is any structure in the path of the DB, so it only works in open space. Any closed space where the ult is the best it does not activate. It gives half the animation, my character makes the sound to ult but nothing happens
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comments in this thread are a pretty clear indicator of how the general playerbase feels about this ult, and ult cast times in general.

@ZOS_Kevin I don't know if this particular issue is on the developer's radar, but perhaps you could pass this on? Removing the cast times from ultimates would be a huge quality of life improvement for everybody.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    Comments in this thread are a pretty clear indicator of how the general playerbase feels about this ult, and ult cast times in general.

@ZOS_Kevin I don't know if this particular issue is on the developer's radar, but perhaps you could pass this on? Removing the cast times from ultimates would be a huge quality of life improvement for everybody.

They added it to avoid very skilled player simply deleting lesser players so it wont be removed. But DB has some major issue with obstacles that prevent it from firing and it would be great if ult cast times could go down to 0.3 or 0.2 seconds which would be a great quality of life improvement without making ult cancellations delete people instantly.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only