Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rogue/Mage Hybrid - which class in ESO? (basic mechanics)

F7sus4
F7sus4
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello there,

Rogue-mage builds from previous TES game were quite popular as far as I remember. They have varied, yes, but most of them used as primary skills:

- Sneak
- Marksman/Daggers (one or both)
- Illusion (for Invisibility, some also used crowd-control spells)
- Alchemy (poisons)
- Destruction (backup-damage resource)

Some of them added "manipulative-guy" flavor (Speechcraft), while the others focussed more on mobility (Athletics/Acrobatics) etc.

Now what? A "shadowy" Sorcerer or a "casting" Nightblade?

Shadow/Assassination "perks" loss with Sorcerer seem like a major (and unbearable) loss. But will Destruction-staff/Mages Guild trees for Nightblade be powerful enough to make them considerable choice?

What are your thoughts on the subject? (Please keep in mind, that there are still people with no in-game experience from beta/pre-launch.)
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    I play a sorc rogue in game and I love it. I've gone 5 pieces medium armor, 2 pieces light armor, and I've dumped all my stat points in health. With all of sorcerer's mana regen passives and stamina regen on some of my gear + medium armor passives, I can pretty much spam powers. It depends on preference, Nightblade is probably pound for pound going to do more dps with it's assassination line, but I play mostly into Dark Magic line on my sorc-rogue for all the CC's. My pvp in this game is sort of premature at this point because I've played so little, but I've found in other pvp games that if you can lock down your opponent, you generally beat him. So it's really a playstyle difference.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gimmethecreepsb14_ESO: Thank for your swift and kind response. How is your character a rogue, however?
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    gimmethecreepsb14_ESO: Thank for your swift and kind response. How is your character a rogue, however?

Medium Armor takes care of the Rogue part, really. It has built in Stealth and Critical Attack bonuses. You can use whatever Weapons you want as a Sorcerer and be just fine.

• F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I think, however, I'd stick with Nightblade route.
    - Don't plan to summon (Daedric Summoning) at all;
    - The Storm Calling tree looks like a substitute to Destruction-staff (is this true?);
    - And the Dark Magic feels like utility tree - nice, but not crucial and rarely life-saving.

So would focussing on Mages Guild tree as a Siphon/Shadow Nightblade give comparable content to the gameplay? I mean, the sneaky rogue-mage as stated in the first post?

Just asking if there's anything I'm missing? I'm sure the feedback would be useful to other users as well. So please, share your experience.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (deleted. double post.)
    Edited by F7sus4 on April 1, 2014 6:55PM
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    Thanks. I think, however, I'd stick with Nightblade route.
    - Don't plan to summon (Daedric Summoning) at all;
    - The Storm Calling tree looks like a substitute to Destruction-staff (is this true?);
    - And the Dark Magic feels like utility tree - nice, but not crucial and rarely life-saving.

So would focussing on Mages Guild tree as a Siphon/Shadow Nightblade give comparable content to the gameplay? I mean, the sneaky rogue-mage as stated in the first post?

Just asking if there's anything I'm missing? I'm sure the feedback would be useful to other users as well. So please, share your experience.

Of course, you can use nightblade and be a VERY successful "rogue". However just to comment the Dark Magic line is much more "life saving" than almost any other skill line in the game. You can effectively keep your opponent locked down, snared, and incapacitated nearly indefinately, especially when paired with the bow. Case and point? the Faolchu fight bugged on me just an hour ago, and the flame pits didn't drop from the ceiling at all. I ended up using my dark magic lockdowns to keep him at bay and kite him around the room and through the walkway indefinately until killing him. It was a PITA and took forever, but hey, saved me a death and a repair bill. Also as I stated, remember that in PVP, he who cannot attack, generally dies first, especially in realm-based pvp. Nightblade is obviously the "norm" at this time for rogue-based gameplay, but sorc is extremely deadly.
  • Lamprey
    Lamprey
    A lot of what you are talking about only pertains to the single player The Elder Scrolls games. Granted there is a fair amount of overlap.

Have you checked out any of the external Theorycrafting forums?

If not, you might want to take a look as someone might have a build similar to what you want. That way you can see what skills they are picking and why. There are several of the site that have this, here is one:
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/forum/classes/